Why become a member? ×

How Many Albums By One Artist Can You Listen To From Start To Finish?

Delberthot

There's loads of bands that I like but invariably there are tracks on many albums that I skip past when listening to them. There is one exception to this and that is Queen. I've been listening to them since Live Aid and I've realised that I can listen to all of their albums all the way through except a couple of tracks on The Game. Including all of the live albums. 

Excluding compilations that's 24 out of 25 albums

I forget where I'm going with this, oh aye, that's a lot of albums - can anyone beat that? (Yes I'm bored out of my gourd) xD

Edited by Delberthot

I never quite got this 'playlist' thing to be honest, so I guess my answer is ' all of em', upwards of 500 albums.  I come from an era playing vinyl, where it was too much hassle to skip a track, so I got used to listening to all the tracks, and over the years, some of the songs I would like to have skipped have become firm favourites.

All of them!

I never skip tracks - guess I come from the tail-end of the vinyl era. Even with CD's, and now my streaming, I always listen to all albums from start to finish.

I tend to still see albums as a body of work - yes, there may be tracks that hit you less at times, but sometimes they can be the slow-growers. When I sit down and put an album on, I want to hear the whole piece, even if it occasionally includes the (sometimes) bad!

11 hours ago, Oopsdabassist said:

I never quite got this 'playlist' thing to be honest, so I guess my answer is ' all of em', upwards of 500 albums.  I come from an era playing vinyl, where it was too much hassle to skip a track, so I got used to listening to all the tracks, and over the years, some of the songs I would like to have skipped have become firm favourites.

+1

That's the same for me too. 

I was very pleased at work the other day when I announced I had created some playlists on iTunes. I was given a sympathetic look and told: 'That was 10 years ago. People stream and use Spotify, etc, now'.  

I will listen to all the right songs on my albums on iTunes but not necessarily in the right order...to paraphrase Morecombe and Wise as sometimes it goes on shuffle without me knowing. 

Edited by Mister RLP

19 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

Dinosaur in my 40s here, still don’t use iTunes or stream (apart from YouTube). I like having the vinyl or cd, I like looking at the covers, reading the lyrics and info, looking at the pics etc. 

+1. Another dinosaur here who grew up listening to the entire track list on vinyl. Some songs take a little more time to "grow" on you. 

Nice to know I'm not the only one. B|

• Like 1

The thing that gets me, when you rip a CD to MP3 for the car, is the change of volume from album to album. Even the ones that claim to be 'remastered'.

Minor OT whinge, sorry. :D

Yes, there are quite a few bands albums that I can sit through without skipping a track, but like a lot of other responses, I'm another 40-something who grew up with vinyl and cassettes before CD's became the norm.

Can't match the Delberthot's boast of 24 albums without skipping though.

Interesting question! The best I can do is probably Rainbow - I could happily listen to their entire studio output without skipping anything, so that's 8 albums. The closest second I can think of would be Amorphis - anything from Eclipse onwards with Tomi Joutsen singing is fine by me, so that's 6 albums. Can't beat 24...

I hate the whole 'skipping tracks' thing. If I listen to an album, I typically play it through in order. The sequencing can be a vital part of what makes a track work. The only exception I think is Joy Division Closer, which I've always played Side 2 first and it was 20 years before I discovered I was 'wrong'. I have something like 4500 albums too, so it's not a single artist thing.

Edited by radiophonic

20 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

If I had the time, I'd listen to all of the live albums of the Grateful Dead. I've got about 85 of them on my computer but there many more, so I'd need food and 'comfort' breaks. 

Or you could use your phone with earbuds and listen while you crap away to your heart's content. :|