Original neck, has been resprayed

Recently refretted

Original pickups

Original pots

Original pickguard, with additional (lovely!) Spitfire tort guard

Original nut

Original pickup cover, new non-original bridge cover

Body refinished in Fiesta Red

Non-original Hickox case with some scuffing but works fine.

See below for full description

24651302677_99d6709db7_k.jpg

38620279085_e25eb34f82_b.jpg

38807632214_3d5ab1d36b_b.jpg

27739975739_972f72b322_b.jpg

Full hi-res Flickr album of 29 photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133089969@N07/albums/72157691387686154/with/27739975739/

Only recently acquired this from Chris of this parish, but try as I may I just can't get on with a 7.25 radius, possibly due to my inherent finger inflexibility! A real shame because it sounds superb and looks terrific: dark Brazilian rosewood board, clay dots, and either the original pickguard or the beautiful tort one Chris sourced (which is included in the sale). An excellent "players' pre-CBS", but I'm very happy with my 9.5 radius custom shop '64' so will move this on at the price I bought it for - it deserves to be played!

Nut is 1.75"

The original sales thread, and a photo with the included tort guard which I hope Chris doesn't mind me linking to, is here: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/313595-fender-precision-1964/ .

Since acquiring it I have not gigged it, and have changed the strings to a slightly higher gauge of D'Addario Chrome flats (50-105) to better match the 60s nut, and added a new bridge cover (the original holes were visible beneath the refin, and I measured carefully). I've done a basic setup using a 7.25 radius gauge, and set the Fender-recommended relief and pickup height settings for the period with a StewMac ruler. Truss rod moves freely in both directions.

6IRpcYl.jpg

I'm based in Tonbridge, Kent, 20 mins from J5 M25, and you're very welcome to come try it out.

My feedback is here: https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/235157-kevsy71/

Cheers!

Kevin

Edited by Kevsy71
Now sold
  • Like 2

Apart from the classic look and aesthetic, I'm not a fan of vintage Fenders, or Fenders at all (especially the tone - it really does nothing for me).  However, if I was going to buy a vintage Fender, it would be this - in my view, this is a really beautiful artefact - perfectly proportioned, lovely dark board, choice of two fantastic guards and subtle ageing to a classic colour.   Gorgeous - surprised it hasn't gone yet

Still absolutely love this and surprised it's unsold - any chance of an image of the top of the body showing the tummy cut and elbow contour (usually extremely elegant on Ps of this vintage).  I'm not a big Fender player but this looks like a gorgeous example

2 hours ago, Aero71 said:

Lovely bass! So the body is original Fender '64 with a refinish. Are there marks or stamps visible somewhere?

Not that I can see - possibly covered in the refinish and/or the copper shielding of the pickup cavity. Routing should be visible in the Flickr album, but let me know if you need any more pics.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...