Why become a member? ×

Using TE Combo with Effects... Problem

discreet

Loving my TE Combo, but I want to use it with an effect or two. I tried plugging my BDI-21 into the input, but NO SOUND. So I tried it in the FX Loop, but again, NO SOUND. It works OK through another system, so I don't think it's the BDI. I also tried an Orange Burst overdrive pedal and got exactly the same problem. The Burst also works OK through another system. I've checked the obvious things such as leads, making sure my bass is turned up, etc etc... both units have brand new batteries.

Any ideas? :)

No sound at all? That's very weird. So you've tried the same bass, leads and pedals through another amp and they work fine. Your bass straight into the TE works fine, but put a pedal in line and it mutes the signal. The pedals have power (LED lit up) and their outputs are turned up (confirmed by testing on the other system)

Really it should be no different to plugging an active bass into the TE. I'd test again with another amp next to the TE, and just swap the jack lead going into the input of the amp. I know it's annoying to repeat the same tests but in my experience this is when you realise you were doing something stupid

8 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

No sound at all? That's very weird. So you've tried the same bass, leads and pedals through another amp and they work fine. Your bass straight into the TE works fine, but put a pedal in line and it mutes the signal. The pedals have power (LED lit up) and their outputs are turned up (confirmed by testing on the other system)

Really it should be no different to plugging an active bass into the TE. I'd test again with another amp next to the TE, and just swap the jack lead going into the input of the amp. I know it's annoying to repeat the same tests but in my experience this is when you realise you were doing something stupid

It IS weird.I have the TE in one room and an audio interface > DAW > monitors in another - and I've tried the same FX and the same leads and the same bass(es) with both. FX won't work with the TE. They work fine with the audio interface/DAW. It's not the basses, not the FX and not the leads. So it must be something to do with the TE, but what?? The TE works perfectly with a bass plugged directly into it. I'm completely stumped.

Edited by discreet

Logic would say it's impossible which is why I suggested you test again. Some pedals and pre-amps do interact weirdly depending on impedance and the gain structure, but you should get SOME sound out of it

The only thing I can think of is perhaps you have a stereo jack on the end of the lead going into your interface/amp, and the interface can handle it where as the amp can't

4 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Logic would say it's impossible which is why I suggested you test again. Some pedals and pre-amps do interact weirdly depending on impedance and the gain structure, but you should get SOME sound out of it

The only thing I can think of is perhaps you have a stereo jack on the end of the lead going into your interface/amp, and the interface can handle it where as the amp can't

Good call re the stereo jack hyphothesis, but it's a short mono jack to jack lead I had made up by OBBM especially for FX. I've had it for ages and used it with many different FX through many different amps. All my leads are OBBM. I've no doubt you're right that it's probably something stupid and it is very illogical, but I'm still stumped! I'll have another go at it this afternoon. Thanks for the replies. :)

Edited by discreet

some jack plugs/sockets can be incompatible so maybe try switching the cable from your bass to the pedal with the cable from the pedal to amp. You might have to sit right on-top of the amp (or pedal) if it's very short, but it'll eliminate another possibility

EDIT: I mean the length of the plug or the depth of the socket can vary, which you wouldn't expect, but I have some leads that won't make a decent contact going into the line-input on my desk at the studio for example

Edited by cheddatom

I've sorted it... the short FX lead ist kaput. It was obviously failing intermittently, and by sheer chance it didn't ever fail when I was using it with my Interface/Daw, thus making me think it was the TE that was at fault. But now it's failed completely, which made it easy to isolate.

So there you go, I jumped to the conclusion that an OBBM lead can never fail (I've never had one fail before, ever) and that's what stopped me from finding out the true nature of the fault. Stupid and illogical, as you predicted!

What am I, a frigging Vulcan?? :D

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cheddatom said:

Hah, glad you found it!

I'll see what Dave says about it, he may want to have a look at it. If he does and finds there's nothing wrong with it, I'll be DOUBLE stumped!! Also if there's nothing wrong with it I'll come back here and say so! Either way, OBBM leads are still the best!!

Edited by discreet

30 minutes ago, discreet said:

...now it's failed completely, which made it easy to isolate.

Er... not quite true, I tried it again just now and it worked with the TE for about five minutes, then NO SOUND again. I replaced it with another lead, and all was well. So it would seem there IS a fault with the lead, but it's an intermittent fault. Just for clarity, folks! :)

Edited by discreet

UPDATE: Sent the lead back to OBBM. He has inspected it and has found that there's absolutely nothing wrong with it. So I'm back to square one, there must be a fault somewhere but I still can't find it! :(

The good news is that OBBM's 100% reputation remains pristine and I apologise profusely to him and all members here for even suggesting that there may have been something wrong with one of his cables! :D

• Like 1

Do you have any switch cleaner in an aerosol?  If not, it may be worth buying a can from RS or similar.  A quick blast in the socket (smirk) may restore the resistance value of the connection to what's expected by the device.  That or you've got an excuse to buy an entirely new rig.

I find it takes very little surface muck to affect certain plug-in connections.  I think the point was already made above about hyper-sensitivity to current loss with solid state devices.

Very interested now to hear how you get on when you've done all of the trouble shooting.

• Thanks 1

Got the cable back after Dave inspected it (and found nothing wrong with it) and he has replaced the original Klotz cable with spiffy new Sommer cable, even though it wasn't necessary.

He didn't charge me for it either. This is what I call customer service 'above and beyond'. Thanks, Dave.