Why become a member? ×

Collection in person

Hutton

1 hour ago, Dan Dare said:

I don't think a bass would fit on a pallet, even diagonally, due to its length.

A 'standard' palette is 1200 x 1000 mm (so diagonal of 1562 mm...) That's 48" x 40" in old money, diagonal of just over 61". How long is a 'standard' bass, in its case..?

possibly because even on here and other online establishments things do not always go as planned - i once purchased a bass online that was sold with a hard case - it turned up at the designated delivery address with just ONE of the FOUR catches on the hard case holding it closed - no other fastenings around it to prevent the case from being opened and nothing around the case

needless to say this was categorically the very last time i would buy such an item without going to collect in person, hence i will only sell to collectors now or at least local enough to drive and meet them and hand it over in person - ive just recently put 2 basses a geetar and a cab up for sale but removed the ads and took them instead to a local reputable music shop to sell on commission

Just for the record to state an opposite experience. I have never had any problems with parcel force or any other couriers. I once had a bass delivered two days late and was given a full explanation why. Maybe it is only the bad experiences that get written about.

25 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Of course the bad experiences get posted. And thats why some people wont post expensive equipment.  Its a choice by the seller.

There's really much else to say on the subject

You're absolutely right. I'll stick to buying from the shops. 

19 minutes ago, fleabag said:

Unless you find someone selling a bass you want in the  BC forums that is ok post

You must be kidding after the horror stories on this thread. Private deals are definitely not a good way to go if couriers are involved.

Horror stories are usually surrounding a  seller,  not a buyer ,  as you would get your money back, and the seller has the tiresome task of

dealing with the courier company for compensation. Until you've been in this position yourself, i wouldn't be quick to judge

I’m not judging. I would just rather not be subject to the same sort of experiences which have been expressed here. I can now perfectly understand why sellers want a collection in person only. I would not want someone selling me a bass to be put in an awkward position with a courier. By buying from a shop I would have some sort of comeback without having an awkward situation with a fellow bass chatter. The good thing about this forum is that through the experience of the members one can learn the best way forward.