Why become a member? ×

Marc S

Well, last year I reached a bit of a milestone in work - 30 years! :o
So to mark the occasion, in a moment of madness, I decided "to hell with it" and ordered myself a Limelight bass

One of my fave colour combos (if not, my fave) is Fiesta Red, with rosewood board and tort plate (of course)
Since having my old Squier P bass converted into a P/J, I've become a real fan of this pickup configuration
A few years back, fellow South Walian pal FuNkShUi was selling a Limelight P, in Fiesta Red, and it had a Jazz style neck
I tend to prefer Jazz width necks, or at least I don't mind P width necks.... but don't like them to be too deep....

So that was my order - a P/J Precision, fiesta red, with Jazz width nut. I missed out on FuNkShUi's bass back then, as I had to sell a bass before I could buy another
A week later, the MM I was selling had sold (to another BC member) - but the Limelight had gone, and I had been kicking myself ever since

Mark at Limelight has done a superb job. I asked him for a medium-light level of "distressing". I know not everyone is a fan of Relicing - I don't care.... it's MY bass ;)
I think it looks lovely. A quick noodle, and it feels amazing! Sounds lovely through my small practice amp too. Can't wait to plug it into a larger amp and crank the volume up
Since the new CITES rules , Mark had a bit more trouble than usual sourcing the Rosewood fretboard neck - however, I wasn't in a huge rush, so I told Mark not to worry
.... my new bass has been worth the wait.

I'm a happy boy - but am currently in work, and can't wait to get home, to try my new bass

(Pics courtesy of Mark at Limelight)

20171227_115421.jpg

20171227_115434.jpg

Edited by Marc S
  • Like 6

Very sweet indeed.  I really like that level of relic and as you quite rightly say it's not to everyone's taste but sod 'em.  Just so we can upset Prowla what's on the headstock xD

I've just re-discovered the P/J since my Spector Legend owning days (the first series with P/J and 3-band EQ).  I've just grabbed a cheapie Tanglewater Classic Jazz which has received a few upgrades!

6 minutes ago, ead said:

.....I've just re-discovered the P/J since my Spector Legend owning days (the first series with P/J and 3-band EQ).  I've just grabbed a cheapie Tanglewater Classic Jazz which has received a few upgrades!

Yes, I'm a fairly recent convert to the P/J. I must say, it seems "ideal" to me....
If / when you want just that P sound... simply dial the J out completely...
Of course, it doesn't sound exactly like a Jazz, but to my ear, I get a sound with a touch of Jazz, or a P with quite a bit of Jazz "burp" - depending on what I want
It's really quite a flexible sound. I now find that my straight P is a bit unsatisfactory... I keep wishing I could just dial a bit of Jazz into the mix.... lol

On 1/12/2018 at 17:24, Kevsy71 said:

Superb Marc - just the amount of relicing I like there! Love the pups on my Limelight P (00196), I bet yours with the added J sounds terrific :)

Yes, I wasn't after a heavy reliced look. And yes, the pickups sound amazing on this bass
I'm not sure how Mark has managed it, but the bass has huge sustain, and the tone from both pickups has a real warm, vintage sound
Of course, I can spec this with a Limelight - I wouldn't want to add a J pickup if I had a genuine Pre-CBS Fender!

And yes Mr Discreet, I had asked Mark to do a slightly paler Fiesta Red for this one... not completely faded to pink,
just a bit paler, to look like it's aged.... maybe it sat in a guitar shop window for a few months? ;)

Just to keep you all in the picture. I'm really pleased with what Mark has built for me. He suggested I have the pickups slightly further forward on this bass
(is this the 70's position for a bridge pickup?) My other P/J has the pickup positioned closer to the bridge - on that bass, the pickup seems to have a more funky tone
However, this bass (the bridge pickup being closer to the neck) the J pickup is definitely louder, it still has a Jazzy tone, but it has more "bite"
It's definitely more "cutting" in this position. I can see I'm going to have to be careful when taking both to a gig.....

Cheers all

Just now, Marc S said:

Yes, I wasn't after a heavy reliced look. And yes, the pickups sound amazing on this bass
I'm not sure how Mark has managed it, but the bass has huge sustain, and the tone from both pickups has a real warm, vintage sound
Of course, I can spec this with a Limelight - I wouldn't want to add a J pickup if I had a genuine Pre-CBS Fender!

And yes Mr Discreet, I had asked Mark to do a slightly paler Fiesta Red for this one... not completely faded to pink,
just a bit paler, to look like it's aged.... maybe it sat in a guitar shop window for a few months? ;)

Just to keep you all in the picture. I'm really pleased with what Mark has built for me. He suggested I have the pickups slightly further forward on this bass
(is this the 70's position for a bridge pickup?) My other P/J has the pickup positioned closer to the bridge - on that bass, the pickup seems to have a more funky tone
However, this bass (the bridge pickup being closer to the neck) the J pickup is definitely louder, it still has a Jazzy tone, but it has more "bite"
It's definitely more "cutting" in this position. I can see I'm going to have to be careful when taking both to a gig.....

Cheers all

The J pickup on yours is in the 60's position - i.e. further from the bridge. It'll honk less than the 70s position, but in theory it'll be louder as there's more string movement where it is - so it should balance better with the louder P pickup.

• Thanks 1

Cheers for the comments guys :)
I really am enjoying my new bass. I haven't gigged it yet
But I'm really well pleased with the sound & tone from this lovely bass

Having played with 3 Limelights previously, I was prepared for it to be an obviously well put-together, quality bass
and I expected it to sound good - but it does sound fab... even better than I expected....
I wonder how much of that is down to the pickups, and how much is down to the quality & type of woods used?
It's just such a warm, vintage tone - and the added bite of the bridge pickup just takes it to another level

I'm really pleased with the pale, faded tint too. I had asked Mark for a more slightly faded Red, and he's delivered
Looking again at it closely last night, the detail and cracks / ageing of the paint and neck varnish are just spot on too
Well pleased with my new bass

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, LewisK1975 said:

I'll have to come round for that long overdue cuppa Marc and give it a once over!

Yes indeed Lewis.
But be warned.... you'll be emailing Mark with your specifications before you even get out of my place :)

• Like 1