Why become a member? ×

Fender seem to make 3 vintage P bass pickups with Alnico 5s -so...

Twanger

What's the difference?

From what I can see, they do an Original '62, a Custom '62 and a '63.

The best P bass sound I ever encountered was in a '62 RI at the end of the '90s. I think those used the original '62. But are the others anything other than just more expensive versions for the same thing?

9 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

There was a comparison sound-clip on youtube of the Custom 62 & 63, the 63 being a bit deeper in the lows and having a bit more power to it if I recall correctly.

And from personal experience, I found the Custom 62 is richer, with more in the lower mids and just more warm/thick sounding than the Original 62, which to me was much more what I would expect a vintage Fender to sound like, that woody tone and more upper-mids,

I have an AVRI '63 P Bass. When I got it home from the shop and removed the metal screening covers, I discovered that my example had left the factory with the '57 style pickup.  (Alnico 5 rod magnets. Longer/taller for the A string.) I elected to replace the "wrong" pickup with a pre-owned Duncan Antiquity. The '57 style pickup went into another instrument.

Slight change of topic but if you were to look outside of the fender company for a vintage correct pickup, I can recommend Bareknuckle pickups. Check out their website, they are serious about what the do.  I have one of their ‘57 pickups in my P bass and it transformed the instrument.

1 hour ago, Jazzjames said:

Slight change of topic but if you were to look outside of the fender company for a vintage correct pickup, I can recommend Bareknuckle pickups. Check out their website, they are serious about what the do.  I have one of their ‘57 pickups in my P bass and it transformed the instrument.

+1 for Bareknuckle pickups

Thanks for the suggestions, but I'm not so much looking for a "vintage correct" pickup as trying to identify one that I really liked. Lozz, "woody" is a great way of describing the sound that I liked in that RI bass, so I guess it's the Original '62 that I'd be after, then. 

Good. They're cheaper.

• 1 month later...

xD

My first P was a Squier VM (with the 'Duncan Designed' pickup) which I really liked. Traded it in for a USA P and didn't think it sounded as good; so fitted an 'Original' 62 pickup only to find it didn't make much difference. After fitting flats the stock pickup, I'm really happy with it now. But for a brighter roundwound sound I would go back to the old Squier VM any day!

Which Squier do you have?

Edited by dannybuoy
  • Like 1

The Vintage Modified series are really good for the money
I had a P/J Precision some time back, and the pickups in that were pretty good
I also had a Fretless VM Jazz, and that was a seriously nice bass for the money, and my route into fretless (not that I now play fretless that much lol)
Pickups in that also seemed really good - I certainly had no complaints about them anyhow

I spent this morning listening to you tube vids for a replacement PJ for my Squier Jaguar SS (think that's VM too). Just fitted a gotoh bridge and fender jazz knobs, so spent the afternoon setting up and playing... and playing... and playing. Decided to keep the original pups too and quite gratified that some posts on here bear this out. This is just through a practice amp, haven't even tried through my gigging rig yet.

... but I think it's the Fender knobs that make a real difference to the tone...

• Haha 1

On 13/01/2018 at 14:14, Jazzjames said:

I have a Bareknuckle 58 in my 61 Precision and it sounds great. The Nordstrand NP4v in my 64 Precision is also fantastic, slightly more modern sounding wide open but easily dialled back. I have an Aguilar sitting around somewhere too...

2 hours ago, therealting said:

I have a Bareknuckle 58 in my 61 Precision and it sounds great. The Nordstrand NP4v in my 64 Precision is also fantastic, slightly more modern sounding wide open but easily dialled back. I have an Aguilar sitting around somewhere too...

The Nordy is an excellent  pickup imho.  I have one installed.

There is nothing wrong with stock Squier pickups. Whether playing live or recording you'd be very hard-pressed to tell the difference. There is no magic pixie dust that is sprinkled over expensive replacement pickups to make them sound appreciably better. IMHO what makes a pickup sound good is its original design, and factors such as neo, alnico or ceramic magnets, or mystic wire and cable made from unobtainium etc, are just red herrings. And marketing!

*Puff, pant!* And breathe..! Sorry about that, just needed a little vent. :)

1 hour ago, discreet said:

There is nothing wrong with stock Squier pickups. Whether playing live or recording you'd be very hard-pressed to tell the difference. There is no magic pixie dust that is sprinkled over expensive replacement pickups to make them sound appreciably better. IMHO what makes a pickup sound good is its original design, and factors such as neo, alnico or ceramic magnets, or mystic wire and cable made from unobtainium etc, are just red herrings. And marketing!

*Puff, pant!* And breathe..! Sorry about that, just needed a little vent. :)

Yes, I agree with that except for the bit about ceramic magnets. They definitely have their own taste.