Why become a member? ×

NBD: Yamaha BB425

BassApprentice

The first week back at work is always hard.....so I bought a bass to get me through :biggrin:

In reality I wasn't looking for a new bass but I wanted a BB for a good portion of last year but I thought I had staved that GAS with other purchases, until I played one of the new BBs :facepalm: I can't quite afford a BB735 but this popped up on Facebook. Haggled a bit and got a good price for it. Turns out the guy had a meeting at a building right next to my flat so got it delivered straight to my door the next day!

It's in A1 condition, original strings feel like they have barely been played. While they aren't the best strings I do like the tension of them so they're staying on for the time being. If you've played a BB you'll understand what I mean when I say: It just works. Nothing fancy, it just sounds massive. Really love the grit you can get on either pick up, wouldn't mind if it was just a touch lighter though.

Took it to a jam night and got several compliments saying how full it sounded so colour me chuffed.

Now most importantly, PICTURES

IMG_20180111_205757.jpg

IMG_20180111_205807.jpg

IMG_20180111_205833.jpg

IMG_20180110_173752.jpg

• Like 5

Happy NBD to you. It's also NBD for me.... so you're my new bass twin, obviously ;)

That does look rather nice. I must say, I did fancy a Yamaha BB which was for sale on here a while back
But yours looks even better in white :)

I don't play 5 string much at all - but I do have a 5 string that I noodle on occasionally... It's a Yamaha TRB
Very nice bass that is too

Have a great NBD - I'm in work currently, and can't wait to get home this evening, to play my new bass!

37 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

The first week back at work is always hard.....so I bought a bass to get me through :biggrin:

In reality I wasn't looking for a new bass but I wanted a BB for a good portion of last year but I thought I had staved that GAS with other purchases, until I played one of the new BBs :facepalm: I can't quite afford a BB735 but this popped up on Facebook. Haggled a bit and got a good price for it. Turns out the guy had a meeting at a building right next to my flat so got it delivered straight to my door the next day!

It's in A1 condition, original strings feel like they have barely been played. While they aren't the best strings I do like the tension of them so they're staying on for the time being. If you've played a BB you'll understand what I mean when I say: It just works. Nothing fancy, it just sounds massive. Really love the grit you can get on either pick up, wouldn't mind if it was just a touch lighter though.

Took it to a jam night and got several compliments saying how full it sounded so colour me chuffed.

Now most importantly, PICTURES

IMG_20180111_205757.jpg

IMG_20180111_205807.jpg

IMG_20180111_205833.jpg

IMG_20180110_173752.jpg

Nice little family you’ve got there!

• Like 1

Hnnnngh that looks good. I've had a bit of a thing for Yamaha basses the last year or two, especially the pick-ups. Not sure what it is about them but they look really cool! Seeing one in that colour makes me want to play some 80's hair-metal, and I totally mean that as a compliment xD

What's that monster on the right and why's it so long? (ooh 'eck)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rikki_Sixx said:

Hnnnngh that looks good. I've had a bit of a thing for Yamaha basses the last year or two, especially the pick-ups. Not sure what it is about them but they look really cool! Seeing one in that colour makes me want to play some 80's hair-metal, and I totally mean that as a compliment xD

What's that monster on the right and why's it so long? (ooh 'eck)

Yeah same, I remember thinking BBs were hella ugly but look at me now! They are lovely, touch heavy, but I'm happy with mine. The clean white is very Charvel/Jackson isn't it 😁

The bass at the end is G&L L2000. Looks massive as it's the only one of the 3 on a stand. Couldn't get it to balance for the photo and I was NOT risking that one falling over. 

You're getting a huge amount of quality for your money with the Yammy BB 425 (and even more so if you've just picked this up second hand!) It will hold its own effortlessly against basses that cost three or four times as much and the output from its passive pups put a lot of active basses to shame.

Great choice!

Edited by Al Krow

50 minutes ago, BassApprentice said:

THAT'S SO COOL!

To do that, did you have to remove the top layer, draw on it then reapply a top layer? Or just draw, then top layer?

I have some talented friends that could do something similar.....

It's hydro-dipped then clear lacquered.

Weighs a tonne but looks quite cool.

• 5 years later...

I bought mine from a friend of mine a few months back. He modded it out, threw a bone nut on, and switched out the pickup selectors for a double pot (tone and volume) control knob. He also set it up really well and the action was at a perfect height when I bought it. I've gotten a lot of tonal versatility out of it, and even got a TOOL-ish Wal tone. It's great to use a pick on, very aggressive. Really good bass, great price too.

• Like 1