Why become a member? ×

Headphones and OHM's

bubinga5

Im needing a new pair and the Beyer Dynamic 990 Pro's are my choice. But I'm wondering what OHM version.(I'm rubbish with this sort of stuff)..  Ill be plugging into a Saffire Pro 24, in to a Mac Pro, but also into a Genz Benz Shuttle 6.2.. Me not know which one is suitable. ?

Any thoughts. Thanks in advance. 

They Beyer's are high impedance headphones and I think there has been some discussion of those Saffire things giving a relatively low output for headphones. I think you might be disappointed with the resulting volume. The quality will be pretty good I expect. 

They also do 770s which are 80ohms and might work better (i.e. be louder). 

The headphone output on the Genz Benz is connected to the main speaker output via a couple of resistors - so will probably be louder but have more distortion. 

Cheap headphones are usually low impedance to work with (primarily) portable headphones and expensive ones high impedance to give better quality but work with a proper headphone amplifier. It's a bit of a minefield. 

You can always buy a dedicated headphone amp (line level signal from whatever you are using) but you can easily spend another 200 quid on one of those. 

Ultimately, you're going to have to try it. 

.The 770s have different ohm versions too. The 990s are excellent headphones! Try the 250 Ohms first, very tight sound, analytic but not fatigueing(sp?). If any of your sources are having difficulty driving them you can then see if their output needs addressing or the cans need to be exchanged.

• Like 1