Why become a member? ×

Moog Taurus III - precisely what we didn't want?

spectoremg

As a long time admirer of the Taurus I and user of the Roland PK-5/various sound modules I was as excited as anyone else at the announcement of the Taurus III ten years ago. So what I thought would be a Taurus replicant made from modern lightweight materials turns out to be something with a million functions I don't want or need and is heavy enough to be used as stabilising ballast for a super cruise ship with a price tag to match. I know it's late in the day but I'm still effing fuming about my dream not coming true!

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2018 at 08:15, prowla said:

PK-5A and minitaur is close (and cheaper!).

The JV-1010 has a Taurus sound in there somewhere too.

The Taurus 3 is a Taurus and a generic MIDI controller; I guess if you dial in the one sound, you can mentally block out the other options.

Hi prowla. The OP was just a moan really born out of a hankering for a stand alone set of pedals. I currently run a 12-step with a Minitaur. I had the covers off a PK-5 once to give it a paint job and was amazed at the wide open spaces inside.

1 hour ago, spectoremg said:

Hi prowla. The OP was just a moan really born out of a hankering for a stand alone set of pedals. I currently run a 12-step with a Minitaur. I had the covers off a PK-5 once to give it a paint job and was amazed at the wide open spaces inside.

:-)

I was thinking about a 12-step, but the USB-MIDI converter box seems a bit naff.

I'm not surprised there's a lot of space inside a PK-5, really, as the logic board should be relatively simple; I wish they'd put the power supply inside, though!

23 hours ago, prowla said:

:-)

I was thinking about a 12-step, but the USB-MIDI converter box seems a bit naff.

I'm not surprised there's a lot of space inside a PK-5, really, as the logic board should be relatively simple; I wish they'd put the power supply inside, though!

Always ran my PK-5 on batteries and never had any trouble with it.

• 1 month later...
On 11/01/2018 at 21:19, spectoremg said:

As a long time admirer of the Taurus I and user of the Roland PK-5/various sound modules I was as excited as anyone else at the announcement of the Taurus III ten years ago. So what I thought would be a Taurus replicant made from modern lightweight materials turns out to be something with a million functions I don't want or need and is heavy enough to be used as stabilising ballast for a super cruise ship with a price tag to match. I know it's late in the day but I'm still effing fuming about my dream not coming true!

What it does do well is always trigger properly unlike the original Taurus 1 which was notorious for the contacts failing. The tuning doesn't drift either.

As for cost, well the originals are still selling for higher prices than the T2 new providing condition is right.

Having said all that I found it a great self indulgence to have a set of each at my feet. And when asked why, I would reply "cos I can".

45 minutes ago, gelfin said:

What it does do well is always trigger properly unlike the original Taurus 1 which was notorious for the contacts failing. The tuning doesn't drift either.

As for cost, well the originals are still selling for higher prices than the T2 new providing condition is right.

Having said all that I found it a great self indulgence to have a set of each at my feet. And when asked why, I would reply "cos I can".

A set of each eh? Showing off eh? 

• 1 month later...
On 31/05/2018 at 07:36, police squad said:

I use a Mcmillan 12 step with a minitaur, all mounted on a pedal train.

works well, when I can be bothered to take it with me

unused for a couple of years now

I've just posted something on here and I think yoy might have answered my question! What size pt do you use for this?

4 minutes ago, bartelby said:

Possibly (the 12 Step isn't specifically listed as a supported MIDI device), but's another box, more fiddly computer-style connectors that aren't robust enough for gigging use, and it might even require yet another PSU depending on how the 12 Step draws and outputs power on it's USB connection, and then you've still got to convert the DIN connectors to XLRs to make them suitable for live use. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BigRedX said:

Possibly (the 12 Step isn't specifically listed as a supported MIDI device), but's another box, more fiddly computer-style connectors that aren't robust enough for gigging use, and it might even require yet another PSU depending on how the 12 Step draws and outputs power on it's USB connection, and then you've still got to convert the DIN connectors to XLRs to make them suitable for live use. 

All true. I was just responding the bit about not needing a computer in the middle. :D

2 hours ago, prowla said:

There is an optional USB-MIDI add-on for the 12-step.

Yes there is. Although there isn't an actual photo of it on the the Keith McMillen website just an illustration...

I don't know why they just can't built MIDI DIN connections into the 12 Step in the first place. After all  USB connectors have no place in a gigging environment.

5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Yes there is. Although there isn't an actual photo of it on the the Keith McMillen website just an illustration...

I don't know why they just can't built MIDI DIN connections into the 12 Step in the first place. After all  USB connectors have no place in a gigging environment.

For a long time I used the 12 step with the iPad, from the USB without any other hardware, it was pretty good.

The USB connector is a lot smaller than a midi socket, in fact there is no way you could fit a midi socket on the 12 step.

The midi expander could do with being a bit heavier so it doesn't get thrown around but it is easy enough to put it in some box, specifically one with a midi module in it!

10 hours ago, BigRedX said:

I agree - it makes it seem unsuitable.