Why become a member? ×

Tax Allowance

Guest McBass

A good accountant is absolutely vital when running a business. Mine is always available, happy to sort out problems and we always meet to chat in the pub. 

Hes careful to always give advice and then we discuss options so I understand what’s happening.

It helps that he was a friend before we worked together I guess. 

5 minutes ago, Burns-bass said:

A good accountant is absolutely vital when running a business.

As a general principle I'd agree, but if you're good enough with numbers, make the effort to keep up with relevant legislation and are a sole trader with a fairly small annual turnover it's not beyond the wit of man to do it yourself. I can't speak to partnerships or companies of course, but I managed just fine for the the entire duration of my business after the first year.

The good thing with an accountant is you can get them to represent you and prepare you're books if you get a tax investigation, and you can claim their fees back as an expense :) .

9 minutes ago, McBass said:

The good thing with an accountant is you can get them to represent you and prepare you're books if you get a tax investigation, and you can claim their fees back as an expense :) .

It's a fair point (as is Jack's point about liability cover if things go boobies up). What I would say though is that in 15 years or so of trading I never had one. If you do it anything like properly the likelihood of an audit for a sole trader with a small annual turnover (which will fit quite a few people reading this thread I would think) is extremely remote.

Edited by leftybassman392
Additional content