Why become a member? ×

Needletime - JJ BURNEL

fleabag

Anyone catch Jean Jackets on Vintage TV ?  

What a bloke. Well funny :)    Seems obvious now but i didnt realise both his parents were French, though of course he was born in the UK.

Seems he's had some hairy moments over the decades.  Getting  into a scrap on stage with bouncers and dockers in Cleethorpes after some ' really tough ' guys started beating up some young punk girls.  Funny ole JJ puts his bass down and kicks the biggest geezer in the building ( he said he just bounced off this huge bloke )

Getting outed from Sweden at gunpoint after Jet Black kicked off in a bad way. In fact  JJ reckons he's spent more time in prison cells due to Jet  than any misdemeanours that JJ himself had caused. 

Only 60 mins long, but i could have listened to JJ all night. Interesting chap

Edited by fleabag

Nice thing he said to Neil in the interview was that despite himself and Cornwell writing most of the music, ( though not all - Greenfield came up with the riff for Golden Brown, of a sorts )  JJ and HC  didnt expect more cash as the writers, and they just distributed the money equally.

In JJ's eyes, he said the moment Dave and Jet added their own pieces, they had partly written the songs as well, and so they never had that in-band rucking when someone thinks they should get more quids than  the others. Nice touch , i thought

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

On 11/01/2018 at 20:09, fleabag said:

Nice thing he said to Neil in the interview was that despite himself and Cornwell writing most of the music, ( though not all - Greenfield came up with the riff for Golden Brown, of a sorts )  JJ and HC  didnt expect more cash as the writers, and they just distributed the money equally.

In JJ's eyes, he said the moment Dave and Jet added their own pieces, they had partly written the songs as well, and so they never had that in-band rucking when someone thinks they should get more quids than  the others. Nice touch , i thought

I think that`s spot on, and the way we work in Knock Off - not that we`re ever likely to get any payouts worth arguing over, lol.

Heard a great story years ago that JJB was on stage during the early punk days, and someone wouldn't stop spitting at him from the front of the crowd (was quite common in those days), so eventually he just picked up his bass by the neck and whacked the spitting bloke over the head with it. True or not, great story.  You can't do that these days, political correctness gone mad...

Killing Joke were a band you were risking trouble with if you spat at them, I’ve seen a few post gig dust ups. JJB was a major reason I picked up a bass. Just as a possible list of interest, these are people I have successfully spat at in a gig situation...

Suggs

Fad Gadget

Ian Astbury

Kim Gordon

Nick Cave

Marc Almond

Doctor (from Doctor And The Medics)

...it’s not big nor clever but what the hell.

Weird that i never got to see the Stranglers live.  My intoduction to Rattus was around 1978 driving over to France with a mate who had a French grandmother and we got to stay at one of her holiday homes. We took the ladies with us , and drove to Southern France in a mini estate. Argggggh. We only had 2 albums  ( well cassettes TBH ) to listen to all the way there. One was Reed's  Rock and Roll Animal and the other was Rattus. Fab

On another note, i DID get to see Killing Joke at a rally in Trafalgar Square in 1980

12 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

Killing Joke were a band you were risking trouble with if you spat at them, I’ve seen a few post gig dust ups.

A guy I was at school with got booted straight in the face by one of The Cockney Rejects for spitting at them. They`re certainly not bothered by a bit of a tear-up, those guys, the two brothers in the band being rather good boxers in their youth.

1 hour ago, Frank Blank said:

Killing Joke were a band you were risking trouble with if you spat at them, I’ve seen a few post gig dust ups. JJB was a major reason I picked up a bass. Just as a possible list of interest, these are people I have successfully spat at in a gig situation...

Suggs

Fad Gadget

Ian Astbury

Kim Gordon

Nick Cave

Marc Almond

Doctor (from Doctor And The Medics)

...it’s not big nor clever but what the hell.

Now Marc Almond I can understand...

3 hours ago, Lozz196 said:

A guy I was at school with got booted straight in the face by one of The Cockney Rejects for spitting at them. They`re certainly not bothered by a bit of a tear-up, those guys, the two brothers in the band being rather good boxers in their youth.

They were gentlemen not to be trifled with.

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

Now Marc Almond I can understand...

That was at the Electric Ballroom in Camden, a Birthday Party gig, MA wasn’t even onstage. Everyone was looking over the balcony above the stairs when he walked in, someone gobbled and everyone else just joined in, he was soaked, he turned around and left. I remember a similar situation when Orange Juice backed up Killing Joke at Hammersmith Palais, they were spat at so much it was even dripping off the drummer. I remember Edwin Collins leaving the stage with the wry observation of “You’ve got very adhesive spittle”.