Why become a member? ×

Orca Telebass Project Finished!!

Jimothey

It's just matte black paint but I can see what you mean it's going to have a top coat of satin lacquer on it once I've routed it out......

I really like the look of them I thought maybe 2 would be too much but I think they look good 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

Are the strings going to line up above the pole pieces of the neck Pup?

The neck pickup isn't in it's right place yet so when it's fitted it should line up fine, also the bridge pickup needs to be routed out a bit deeper....... 

I'm in two minds whether to do it 2V 1T or just 1V 1T? 🤔

1 hour ago, Jimothey said:

The neck pickup isn't in it's right place yet so when it's fitted it should line up fine, also the bridge pickup needs to be routed out a bit deeper....... 

I'm in two minds whether to do it 2V 1T or just 1V 1T? 🤔

I'd never be happy with one vol for the two pups unless there was a blend as well.  It might as well have two vols then.  I'd vote 2V 1T.

• Like 1

@JohnDaBass you were right the 2 outer poles aren't going to be centered with the strings on the neck pickup they will still be on the poles tho, if it is only for aesthetic reasons I can live with it but do you think it will it make a big difference to the sound?? 

If it is going to be a problem the way I see it I've got a couple of choices...... 

1. Only have 1 pickup (where the bridge pickup is, is that too far back far only 1) 

2. Move the pickup back so its not on the pickguard (so it will probably end up like a Corvette $$) 

I didn't really want to buy a new smaller pickup (e.g Jazz) but if that's the only other option then I'll have to......... ☹️

Edited by Jimothey

5 hours ago, JohnDaBass said:

If it were me , I would stick with two Pups and move the neck Pup back to a position similar to that Darkheart posted. 

The only problem with that is it will be half on and half off the pickguard, would that look a bit pony!?! 😳

Edited by Jimothey

8 hours ago, Jimothey said:

I've been thinking about the half and half pickup problem I suppose I could try and do it a bit like this and kind of make a feature out if it

If you took an idea from DiMarzio and extended it to the MM cover you could get a little interest from the contrasting effect where the pickup straddles the edge of the scuff plate.  Do you know anyone with a 3D printer who could make a bespoke cover?

image.png.d3005af5516b206b3ad0ba84e053c4b8.png

• Like 1

I thought I'd mock up where the pickups could go and this is where the strings lined up with the poles which is virtually where the bridge pickup is........ 

_20181006_084654.thumb.JPG.9c4a513dd4cdee808f6f6cd79873f09f.JPG

I probably could fit the other one right next to it but I think that wouldn't look very good?? Or would it look OK because they look good on a corvette $$

_20181006_085413.thumb.JPG.1737caa2e8e7df0a95d65cc83282c49a.JPG

• Like 1

I don't think you'd lose much at the outer poles.

Only a sound test would verify that though.  I think it's more of an aesthetic question than anything else.  That being said, there are lots of examples of modified basses where the alignment is not perfect.  I suppose it depends on your degree of OCD as to whether it's a real problem or not.

So, which is it for the scuff plate?  Suede or carpet?

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

I don't think you'd lose much at the outer poles.

Only a sound test would verify that though.  I think it's more of an aesthetic question than anything else.  That being said, there are lots of examples of modified basses where the alignment is not perfect.  I suppose it depends on your degree of OCD as to whether it's a real problem or not.

So, which is it for the scuff plate?  Suede or carpet?

Yeah the 2 inner poles are OK it's just the 2 outer ones if it's not really going to effect the sound then I'll probably just fit it where it was originally?? 

I was leaning more towards crushed velvet!! 😁 

• Like 1

The pickup pole alignment isn't as bad as I thought it was going to be! I can live with that!! 

I've got to put a shim under the neck to bring it up a smidge as the action is way too high and the saddles are touching the bridge also I had to re-cut the pickguard so I've just got to spray it black then I'm ready to start doing the electrics 😀

_20181008_141629.thumb.JPG.f5396684f6655a79384f4b43d441e099.JPG

• Like 1