Why become a member? ×

Orca Telebass Project Finished!!

Jimothey

• 2 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Just thinking about the control plate on this build I'm not sure whether a MM style control would look better as I might follow the shape of the body nicer

_20180806_123633.thumb.JPG.b1998e9fa2a198e1a5a5ec86b40ce303.JPG_20180817_083642.thumb.JPG.c4a6cb18845a4168955587c9e376f9e7.JPG

Hmmmmmm I think I'll have a think about that?? 🤔

I think that would work better, or perhaps fabricate one to follow the exact shape of the body? 

Edited by BrunoBass
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BrunoBass said:

I think that would work better, or perhaps fabricate one to follow the exact shape of the body? 

I was thinking of maybe trying to do a one piece pickguard only problem I can see with that idea is it might end up looking very similar to a P bass pickguard so it might look better with the contrast of chrome and black??......... 

Edited by Jimothey

I like the slightly weird look of a JB pickguard on a Tele body.  What would happen if you married a PB pickguard with the JB control plate?

Then you have the option of going completely mad and having an SC jack socket, Jaguar switches and other random Fender bits....

20 minutes ago, Si600 said:

I like the slightly weird look of a JB pickguard on a Tele body.  What would happen if you married a PB pickguard with the JB control plate?

Then you have the option of going completely mad and having an SC jack socket, Jaguar switches and other random Fender bits....

That was my intention that I hoped it will look a bit quirky/weird/different

It's going to have a maple/maple block neck

I'm not a fan of the Jag style switches or the boat jacks so I'm probably going to stick with the side jack, also I'm considering a bridge cover but we'll have to see about that? I'm not a 100% sure on the pickup config as yet I'm still swaying towards a double MM style 😀

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Si600 said:

Is there enough space for a double MM on that body?

Yeah it should be OK as the bridge is going to be quite far back it might look a bit like the corvette $$ where they are close together but if it doesn't look right I'll just put 1 in instead......... 

• 1 month later...

Managed to get a little bit more done today neck pocket is now routed and I've been having a bit of a play with the pickguard shape I kinda like the classic tele shaped pickguard with the jazz control plate

_20180920_161603.thumb.JPG.339eea6ac5f4b0ca8a3d39762b53ea77.JPG

Just got to decide what pup config would look best I'm still thinking the double MM would look really good? 

• Like 1

The polished alu was all dented and knackered so I thought I'd just go normal poly pickguard 

Trying to incorporate both style pickguards here's what I came up with?? 

_20180921_130423.thumb.JPG.2f140fafee9faeb8962ddef4888f107c.JPG

I cut some ply to the size of the pickups I'm probably going to use, I think the placement works OK?? 

It's a slab body so I've still got to do the arm and belly carves before I start painting it 😀

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

I saw a 'stealth' telecaster bass that I really like the look of and I haven't got a black bass so I think I might give it a go 🤔

_20180922_095433.JPG.26e67b4614a5faf28bd92273b11cf0af.JPG

I like that idea.

I like it because I just know that it will end up wearing orange neon strings.

image.png.fafe212fc6c8fd60aac97c645af56561.png

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, JohnDaBass said:

I like the combo pickguard design, a really nice blend of Telecaster guitar and '72 Tele bass.

Should the bridge pup be closer to the bridge? 

Yeah your probably right I still need to finalise the position of them it was really just to see how they will look

Got the neck all sanded and reshaped the headstock to a more traditional tele style!

I have started shaping the body and going to rout out for the controls and pups then I can get some paint on this bad boy!! 😀

_20180924_124639.thumb.JPG.3db1ec35a39d19792139f85e48eaf0d0.JPG

Edited by Jimothey
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

For a stealth bass you need a matt black finish.

I wonder how affordable Vantablack is.  If you use it, fit a tracker too because you'll put it down one day and never see it again until someone trips over it.

Unfortunately 

Only verified companies, research facilities and educational establishments can order a sample of Vantablack. The coating is not available to private individuals at this time and we can’t accept orders from private email addresses.

2 hours ago, SpondonBassed said:

For a stealth bass you need a matt black finish.

I wonder how affordable Vantablack is.  If you use it, fit a tracker too because you'll put it down one day and never see it again until someone trips over it.

Personally I prefer Matt Black to Gloss or Satin but I'm just a bit worried that if I do it Matt Black it might end up looking like a chalkboard? 😀

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Jimothey said:

Personally I prefer Matt Black to Gloss or Satin but I'm just a bit worried that if I do it Matt Black it might end up looking like a chalkboard? 😀

I'd style it out and say that I've perfected the art of creating a rapid relic.

My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I mentioned Vantablack.  It's amazing stuff though.

There are some examples of cars in matt black that look interesting.  I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to maintain that finish.  If you want to maintain an as new appearance it might be wiser to go with a satin finish.

Edited by SpondonBassed

3 minutes ago, SpondonBassed said:

I'd style it out and say that I've perfected the art of creating a rapid relic.

My tongue was firmly in my cheek when I mentioned Vantablack.  It's amazing stuff though.  If I hadn't taken the facetious route I'd have suggested matt.  There are some examples of cars in matt black that look interesting.  I have no idea how easy or difficult it is to maintain that finish.  If you want to maintain an as new appearance it might be wiser to go with a satin finish.

I suppose if I used a matt lacquer over the top it might come out OK I'll have to have a go? I could always satin lacquer it afterwards if it looks pants!! 

Your right Vantablack does look awesome if there is any teachers on here see if they can get a sample but I reckon it's not cheap tho!! 😁