Why become a member? ×

AER amp 3 experience?

Jazzjames

Hello everyone,

I play electric and upright bass in a mixture of Jazz / R&B / Pop bands.  I could be playing in an art gallery one day and in theatre for 500 the next.

I use the Aguilar TH500 and two DB112 speakers at the moment.  Good sound, but the amp can get a bit loose when pushed.  The DB112 is a good speaker but it's depth and weight can make it a bit of a pain and feel like overkill for some of the smaller gigs....

Has anyone tried an AER Amp 3?   I'm curious given Ed Friedland's glowing review.  Could this tiny combo even come close to matching what I have currently?

Thanks,

James

IMG_3336.jpg

Edited by Jazzjames
  • Like 1

Hi james,I ordered an amp 3 from thomann about a year ago based on reviews on the net etc.first impression was good at home,and its certainly a well built .unit but ultimately realised for me anyway it couldn’t replicate or improve on the clarity/punch of my puma 900/barefaced exsisting set up I already had.if you’re not too bothered about having a tweeter then prehaps its worth trying,they are quality kit and I have to say thomann were brilliant with their no quibble returns policy.its pretty loud,but thought it seemed a bit heavier that the specced weight,but hey! That could just be me!! I done one gig with it as a trio,electric bass/rock type thing.volume wasn’t an issue at all,just not for me.regards,jeff 

I haven't owned or even heard an amp three, but I've had an amp one and, the biggest one in the series, an amp two.

My thoughts are: they are both loud and great sounding (although quite different to each other.) but a little heavyweight, and VERY expensive.  So, on balance, I think you can get equal or better performance for much less cash and at a lower weight.

Now, I'll come clean - I have used Barefaced cabs since 2009.  I now own four G3 Barefaced cabs.  My thought on your situation would be that a G3 Super Midget and your current head would cope very well for all your gigs.  They are loud and lightweight and easy to carry.

If you sold your current cabs you might even have money left over.  Sorry if this slightly derails your query on the amp three but I hope it helps a little.

Frank.

The feedback I have had from folk who decided to sell their AERs (I was thinking of getting one some while back) was that they didn't feel the 200W AERs had enough headroom in a full band. That was the deal breaker for me.

Completely agree with the comments above on price / value for money for the new combos, although second hand they become a lot more affordable and also seem to hold their value on subsequent (third hand +) sales,

The other key point for me is that I sense AER are living on past glory? I don't think their Amp One and Amp Three have been updated in over a decade, so it's feeling like slightly tired technology now - that is  quite a contrast with most leading amp makers.

3 hours ago, Dan Dare said:

Could be worth trying the Aguilar AG700 with your cabs. More power/headroom and cleaner than your TH. A less old school sounding head (I'm assuming by "loose", you mean the sound dirties when you push it, which is something of a TH trademark).

Thanks for your reply. It’s not to do with the TH500’s drive section, it’s the sound of the amp when pushed that isn’t so pretty, even with the drive off.  It gets loud, but it loses something and can’t quite keep up. We’re talking about the fine details and it’s a fantastic head.  And it goes louder than I need, I’m just not into the tone when it gets up there.  It’s a personal thing.  I had a Warwick Hellborg 500 amp until recently, and that thing was the most glorious thing to play through, but have you tried lifting one?! 47kg with the case.

I probably will try an AG700 at some point, sounds good from what you can find on youtube.

I take everyone’s opinions on board, thanks!  I’m not really looking to replace the DB112s as they are pretty epic but overkill for a lot of the work I do.  There’s a second hand Amp One for sale really near me in good condition so I’m gonna go and check it out.  It could be a good upright/jam session/rehearsal amp that I can carry around easily.  I don’t need mega volume for most of the music I play, but quality of sound and size are important.

Bought AMP THREE used at a decent price. Have TH500 and 2x Bergantino CN112. Use AER 95% of gigs, sometimes with a smidge of PA assistance. Covers trio playing at pretty decent volumes. Love mine but it came in at the right price.

Agree that there are probably better solutions these days, as others have outlined but yet to see a combo one box solution. 

On 11/01/2018 at 22:48, Jazzjames said:

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for the post! What cabinet from Barefaced do you use?  Did the AER get close or was it pretty wide of the mark?

James

Hi james,super 12T at the time,now use a B.B. 2 gen3 .yes I found the AER pretty far removed from what I was after soundwise 

I ended up getting an Amp One second hand in perfect condition.

It has (as previously stated) a baked in tone- this combo doesn’t have lots of sizzle top end, but it has plenty of presence to provide definition, and sounds very natural and punchy.

It’s plenty loud enough for small gigs!  On Monday I played a Motown/Soul gig for about 150 people in a small club with a 6 piece band and it filled out the room very nicely with volume to spare.  The tone in a band situation is lovely.

Overall I’m very happy with it, it does a fantastic job- and it is a breeze to transport in the bag!

BFDAC228-8E03-4EF1-9088-76A217D90176.jpeg

Edited by Jazzjames
Spelling!

I have an AER Three. They have the most astonishing bottom ends of any compact amp bar none.

I mainly run with Demeter into Bergs 2x12's and 4x10 but I have to say that the AER is my go to compact. It is the one I will take to any small venue. Bass or Eub in one hand Amp Three in the other. fits in the boot of a small car on the front seat.

The pre amp and controls take some mastering but once you find 'your sound' it will be as good a sound as anything out there. Less crisp than the small marks, but the bass reproduction is out of this world. If you are using a P / EUB or micing a DB they are incredibly good.  They require a bit of work to master control wise and many people don't get there. The Compressor is also really useful.

I actually had 2 at one point and ran them a as a stereo pair but I just couldn't use the power. One is definitely loud enough.

Every conceivable back panel out and feature - and of course stupidly high quality components and build.

Those two 8" drivers kick like a mule but there is not as much brightness as an aggie, berg or mark small cab. You can wind plenty of treble in and its a sealed cab so it does respond well. It just doesn't have a horn for that very top pip.

• Like 1

Pmjos nailed it really. 

I have owned both Amp one and Amp three at various points. 

Huge huge low end output from both. Stupendous. Too much for many scenarios, but intoxicating. Easy to EQ up or down, depending on need. 

Great EQ on both. Lots of connectivity. 

Very loud. Not 2x12 loud, but definitely loud. 

I ditched both because I could not hack it without a tweeter/horn for top end. Beautiful warm sound out of both otherwise. Punchy. Great little amps. 

• 1 month later...

Hey there!

A couple of years ago I also played the TH500 and 2x SL-112. Very nice sounding, lightweight and flexible stack.

At a local dealer I accidentially tried out an AER amp three - and began searcing for the additional subwoofer. A review stated „this thing seems to defy physics“. As an engineer I completely agree.

Of course it should be obvoius that any 900W amp and a couple of 12“ speakers behave different. BUT: I checked the Aguilar stack, a Mesa Walkabout Scout and the amp three side by side. The AER is much more detailed and mercilessly honest in its sound and can still create a real nice punch in your stomach. Aguilar and Mesa seemed to process the signal even with neutral EQ in a low mid punch sound which in comparison seemed really „wooly“.

In addition the AER is 100% analogue - no digital power amp. The 200W are real 200W which can compete with any 500...W digi-amp. The is leads to more weight compared to gramms of digi-amp. For me 16kg are still „lightweight“. Since I really hate horns and tweeters the 8“ speakers are a very good choice for a full range sound. I wonder why they are so rare on the market.

The consequence: my Aguilar and Mesa were sold. I am currently using 1-2 AER amp three (single or in-a-row). The nice thing is that a single combo is perfect for acoustic gigs (a dream with my Martin BCPA) and rehearsals. With both combos I played big stages for more than 1000 people in a cover band with brass. The drummer was very satisfied because the bass sound was transparent, punchy and „everywhere“. Most of the time the sound man tells me, that my stage sound is too loud and present. ;-)

Finally I just want to stress that I am a hobby musician and that I‘m not working for AER. I know players that don‘t like the „honest“ sound (no tubes, nearly no coloring) of the amp three at all. For me it‘s „my sound“ and I‘m still (technically) impressed what this tiny box puts out in loudness, punch and quality.

BASS ON!

Stefan - null9er 

0D3C4885-6E76-4803-B916-F680B4E34976.jpeg

Edited by null9er

I’ve giggled an AER Amp one in a rock band against a loud guitarist and drummer and have never had a problem filling a pub with bass. It really is nuts the amount of low end it can put out and the feature set is useful. I font like tweeters so the sound suits me a treat 

• 4 years later...

Hey there, better late than never.

I got my Amp Three in 2017 and have never looked back. Fantastic sound on double and electric - important to have good pre-amps to match signals. Never had a moment where it didn't do the job all the way up to venues like the Barbican in London or the Festival Theatre Edinburgh. Mind you, beyond a certain level, the sound people look after the front of house. My son is running the DarkGlass Alpha Omega with a custom 2x12 cabinet and we can get pretty similar sounds going with the same jazz bass.

I know amps are very personal and you can make almost anything work. But I worked through a lot of gear before I settled on this AER including a whole range of David Eden, SWR, Phil Jones, Gallen Kreuger, Ampeg and Fender. Maybe some of the modern gear would be nice to try, but, I do lik this AER - It really works well(I wish it had 2 inputs though?!?!?!?!).

BassRig2detail-May2022.thumb.jpg.7c4ed7ed1089487c8ce0b039f31e528f.jpg

• Like 1

On 11/03/2018 at 06:45, null9er said:

Hey there!

A couple of years ago I also played the TH500 and 2x SL-112. Very nice sounding, lightweight and flexible stack.

At a local dealer I accidentially tried out an AER amp three - and began searcing for the additional subwoofer. A review stated „this thing seems to defy physics“. As an engineer I completely agree.

Of course it should be obvoius that any 900W amp and a couple of 12“ speakers behave different. BUT: I checked the Aguilar stack, a Mesa Walkabout Scout and the amp three side by side. The AER is much more detailed and mercilessly honest in its sound and can still create a real nice punch in your stomach. Aguilar and Mesa seemed to process the signal even with neutral EQ in a low mid punch sound which in comparison seemed really „wooly“.

In addition the AER is 100% analogue - no digital power amp. The 200W are real 200W which can compete with any 500...W digi-amp. The is leads to more weight compared to gramms of digi-amp. For me 16kg are still „lightweight“. Since I really hate horns and tweeters the 8“ speakers are a very good choice for a full range sound. I wonder why they are so rare on the market.

The consequence: my Aguilar and Mesa were sold. I am currently using 1-2 AER amp three (single or in-a-row). The nice thing is that a single combo is perfect for acoustic gigs (a dream with my Martin BCPA) and rehearsals. With both combos I played big stages for more than 1000 people in a cover band with brass. The drummer was very satisfied because the bass sound was transparent, punchy and „everywhere“. Most of the time the sound man tells me, that my stage sound is too loud and present. 😉

Finally I just want to stress that I am a hobby musician and that I‘m not working for AER. I know players that don‘t like the „honest“ sound (no tubes, nearly no coloring) of the amp three at all. For me it‘s „my sound“ and I‘m still (technically) impressed what this tiny box puts out in loudness, punch and quality.

BASS ON!

Stefan - null9er 

0D3C4885-6E76-4803-B916-F680B4E34976.jpeg

Class D is not digital.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
On 06/06/2022 at 19:14, tomlyne said:

Hey there, better late than never.

I got my Amp Three in 2017 and have never looked back. Fantastic sound on double and electric - important to have good pre-amps to match signals. Never had a moment where it didn't do the job all the way up to venues like the Barbican in London or the Festival Theatre Edinburgh. Mind you, beyond a certain level, the sound people look after the front of house. My son is running the DarkGlass Alpha Omega with a custom 2x12 cabinet and we can get pretty similar sounds going with the same jazz bass.

I know amps are very personal and you can make almost anything work. But I worked through a lot of gear before I settled on this AER including a whole range of David Eden, SWR, Phil Jones, Gallen Kreuger, Ampeg and Fender. Maybe some of the modern gear would be nice to try, but, I do lik this AER - It really works well(I wish it had 2 inputs though?!?!?!?!).

BassRig2detail-May2022.thumb.jpg.7c4ed7ed1089487c8ce0b039f31e528f.jpg

Hi, coming to this very late, but was interested in your comment about needing ‘good pre-amps’ with the AER. I was under the impression that amps like this (acoustic image for eg) obviated the need for a pre-amp… that you could run a Realist or the like straight into it. Be curious to hear your thoughts as I’m using an AI Focus to amp a DB without pre-amp. Could I do better with a Fishman pre? Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

I got to compare an AER Amp One and an Eich BC112PRO relatively recently. I think the AER was very good but I found the Eich was just as clear, more versatile and louder. Both German designed and built, the AER was released around 2008 and hasn’t had a revision (I think) whereas the Eich was released around 10 years later and was upgraded/improved around 2021. The AER costs quite a bit more money too.

I think technology advancements over the years played a big part in the comparison for me. This being said, preference is down to our personal taste of course. I bought the Eich BC112PRO.

• Like 1