Why become a member? ×

P bass growl

hooky_lowdown

I know a lot of people dispute it but I`m firmly in the camp of both body woods and neck/fretboard woods really contributing to the sound of an instrument. I find maple fretboards to be snappier in the upper mids, and have found this when I`ve had identical basses, same year of manufacture etc, just different fretboard material. I also think that the ash body of that 77 will have a lot to do with it, so whilst a maple neck imo will get you towards that sound, it won`t be quite the same.

I think the 70s pickups are the most contributing factor.

The two most liveliest / growliest Precisions I've had have both had rosewood necks for example. A basswood Squier VM was my first P, and I felt I made a significant downgrade when chopping it in for an ash bodied US Standard which sounded dull by comparison (although I'm very happy with it with flats on). The other is a MIJ 'Jazz' Special (it has a P body and P pup!) which was the growliest P in the shop when I tried a bunch in Wunjos. No idea what the body wood is on that though!