Why become a member? ×

New drive from Origin Effect

krispn

I dunno it’s got a heap of knobs, what appear to be mini switches so possibly some sort of hpf/lpf likely a dual drive/boost on/off or  possibly drive/compression on/off with clean blend.

It looks like a lot of control  available so I suspect they may aim it at a wider market for a range of instruments rather than release 4 or 5 specific versions like with the Cali.  I’d look to the combined features across all their Cali comp pedals incorporated into the ultimate drive. But what do I know 😀

oh and it’s gonna cost about £300 give or take £25 if it can do all I’ve speculated above! I’d be very keen to learn more about this one. It’s always a good day when OE release a new product!

Edited by krispn

Well im still going to be slightly interested in it. Having recently got a Cali and been very impressed with the quality i think its worth a look. I must admit at the moment my Joyo OJ is doing well, its already pushed the DG VMT off the board, and at £45 it makes others seem a bit overpriced.

Oh no doubt it’ll be spendy! I’m intrigued to see what the brains at OE do as their comps, the CB especially are first rate. I had the Germanium version of the big box Cali but happily moved it on for the bass specific model and I’ve zero regrets. Only a few weeks until we find out!

1 hour ago, krispn said:

I dunno it’s got a heap of knobs, what appear to be mini switches so possibly some sort of hpf/lpf likely a dual drive/boost on/off or  possibly drive/compression on/off with clean blend.

It looks like a lot of control  available so I suspect they may aim it at a wider market for a range of instruments rather than release 4 or 5 specific versions like with the Cali.  I’d look to the combined features across all their Cali comp pedals incorporated into the ultimate drive. But what do I know 😀

oh and it’s gonna cost about £300 give or take £25 if it can do all I’ve speculated above! I’d be very keen to learn more about this one. It’s always a good day when OE release a new product!

Well if it's a Cali CB + excellent dirt + hpf / lpf all in one for £300, that's actually a 'bargain' given that the Cali CB is £270 by itself. For once I'll be tempted to buy new (not least as there won't be any used ones available for a while!) :) 

1 hour ago, dave_bass5 said:

Well im still going to be slightly interested in it. Having recently got a Cali and been very impressed with the quality i think its worth a look. I must admit at the moment my Joyo OJ is doing well, its already pushed the DG VMT off the board, and at £45 it makes others seem a bit overpriced.

Picking up on your comment that the Joyo OJ knocks the socks off the DG VMT - what is it about the respective 'sound' from the two pedals that leads you to prefer the Joyo?

14 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Well if it's a Cali CB + excellent dirt + hpf / lpf all in one for £300, that's actually a 'bargain' given that the Cali CB is £270 by itself. For once I'll be tempted to buy new (not least as there won't be any used ones available for a while!) :) 

Picking up on your comment that the Joyo OJ knocks the socks off the DG VMT - what is it about the respective 'sound' from the two pedals that leads you to prefer the Joyo?

The OJ is brighter and more lively, and more musically pleasing my ears. again, to my ears it sounds more like an amp breaking up compared to the VMT, which i find seems dark and a lot warmer. It does subtle or out right nasty.

Obviously these are my ears and my descriptions, which could be the complete opposite of what others think, but out of all the dirt pedals ive used the VMT is my least fav. If i had the room no my board i would use my VTBass DI, although i think that would be overkill for me.  I had the VMTD which was much better for me, as it has EQ, but i just missed what the BDDI gave me.

• Like 1

Ok thanks, that's useful to understand. Would you still prefer the OJ to the VMT Deluxe or is that a much closer call / or even a preference for the VMTD? I've effectively got the VMTD on my DG amp and am able to dial in a reasonable dirt. I like the clean blend available to preserve the low end.  But I'm wondering whether to try out the OJ, based on what you're saying?

I'm still not there in my quest for the dirt pedal for me (eg my Two Notes lacked sufficient low end and the Mojomojo is good as far as it goes, but is a little too warm / muddy), so I must admit I'm looking forward to the release of this new Origin pedal. 

Edited by Al Krow

4 hours ago, Al Krow said:

Ok thanks, that's useful to understand. Would you still prefer the OJ to the VMT Deluxe or is that a much closer call / or even a preference for the VMTD? I've effectively got the VMTD on my DG amp and am able to dial in a reasonable dirt. I like the clean blend available to preserve the low end.  But I'm wondering whether to try out the OJ, based on what you're saying?

I'm still not there in my quest for the dirt pedal for me (eg my Two Notes lacked sufficient low end and the Mojomojo is good as far as it goes, but is a little too warm / muddy), so I must admit I'm looking forward to the release of this new Origin pedal. 

I would prefer the VMTD over the OJ, its a lot more versatile. I would only use the OJ in conjunction with something else, and not as an always on pedal.

I had the first version of the VMTD with the character knob, and this did replace my BDDI as my always on pre amp/dirt pedal for a while. To me though it just lacks character and i found it a bit bland. That may well be a good thing for some but i was more used to the BDDI tone. I did get a VMTD II a couple of years later, but didn't like that at all. I missed the Character knob too much.

Ive also got a VTBass DI, and thats much closer to the tone i want, and i really should put that on the board again.

Some guitar audio is up on their fb page. I'm sure there will be a reveal of the controls in a few days. The big thing from 18 months ago was that the pedal would have unique features nit seen in a pedal before. A bold claim indeed!

Edited by krispn

Video up on instagram. Tried to zoom in on the controls but can’t see what’s going on. Any of you NAMM'ers able to get a pic of the actual controls? I'm interested in seeing what it has as we're unlikely to see/hear a bass demo as a priority over guitar.

E170E4FC-9851-4950-B184-338B7675C6F3.png

Edited by krispn

And just to confuse matters, Marshall have just launched an 'Origin' series of guitar amps at NAMM 2018...I guess not a name that can be easily trademarked? Hang on, while I just munch an Apple.

Edited by Al Krow

Yeah they didn’t show at NAMM but I know a guy who was talking to one of their peeps. They'll be there next time - I’ll presume they meant summer 2018 rather than next winter NAMM. I think folk have been expecting the drive for a while now and the reveal in time for the NAMM show made us think they’d have something ready for the market...or at least show us the bloody controls right! 😀