Left leaderboard
Mickyk

Squier Classic vibe p bass 70s

?Anyone got one /play one, has one for sale .What are they like to play.

I think i need feedback before even going out and playing one.

I haven't owned or played that specific one but I own a CV 50's P and have briefly played a CV 60's Jazz, I can say that they're great instruments. The big question will probably be, how are you with thick glossy necks?

If you're exclusively a satin neck guy, you likely wont get on with them as the glossy finish is very thick. But, that being said, it's definitely worth having a wee shot on one to see how you like it.

• Like 2

I own a Squier C vibe. It's brilliant. Although I changed pups for SD the C neck feels very comfortable. Rolling back the bridge volume gives a similar p bass sound.

• Like 1

What AnAnInginAneAnA said. Me, I haven't played the 70s P, but have owned 4 Classic Vibes, 2* 60s J and 2* 50s P, and except for one easily rectified detail on one of them, all were very impressive instruments and very good value for the money. Reportedly, they can be bought untested as to build quality in itself.

Me, I'd lightly sand the neck if needed - initially with some oiled 1200 sandpaper, and than going to 600 or 300 if needed.

Reportedly, two areas of potential are the pups and the tuners. Personally, I felt no need for those upgrades, but then I'm no bass guitar player.

• Like 1

I had the CV 70s P for a while - bought as a less expensive bass for gigs where I thought the chances of things being nicked or damaged were higher.

It was nice enough for the money and very comfortable to play but I found that the frets seemed to be a bit soft when faced with plain steels and showed a lot of wear very quickly. The pickup was pretty uninspiring (although perfectly serviceable) so got swapped out.

I guess you can’t go too far wrong if you just bear in mind that as good as they are, they’re built to a price (just like anything) and you rarely get much for free.

Yes i was wondering about the necks ,how they feel  ,how they play,?does anyone know if the neck shape /size is similar to the Yamaha BB424x which i already have but as you may know with me playing Bass in a SKA band i'm still not sure that my Yam is the real deal,and i have been advised to look at the Squier Classic vibe 70S for that reason TBH

I own a CV 70s PB.  I bought it as a spare from my Fender branded American Special but now use the CV as my main instrument as I prefer the sound (I suspect most of the difference is due to the bridge).    The neck is less chunky than on a contemporary PB - although it retains a PB nut width it's a shallower profile.  I think some of te hardware is a little cheap (eg the jack socket) but thats all easily upgraded.

It was less than half the price of the American Special and I reckon worth every penny but it's a lot of money for a Squier branded instrument. 

• Like 1

I’ve got a Squier Matt Freeman which is pretty similar to the cv p bass 70s. Everything fine about it. Tried switching pickups but preferred the stock pickups. Had to change the jack socket after a couple of years to Switchcraft jack. Put a set of flats on. Rather good. 

• Like 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By This Town Needs A Hero
      Hi guys, first post here!
      I'm just finding myself getting into bass recently and am wanting to buy a new one. Digging around online has shown Sire basses seem great value for money so I'm leaning towards the  new 5 string v7 or p7. I'm ashamed to say the primary draw towards the V7 is purely aesthetic, the burgundy is calling out to me!
      I currently have a Fender Pawn Shop Bass Vi and have been using this for my basslines. Kind of a bass but not, for those who know. Am I likely to get a similar sound (and therefore want a different one for versatility) to this with the V7 or P7? I know nothing of the different sound types and what is appropriate and am looking to learn
      I do a lot of home recording and songwriting and am big into R&B and Neo-Soul at present.
      What would you recommend for this style of music?
    • By Joe86
      Orange AD200b mk3 & OBC 410 - £1350
      I'll try not to waffle... If you're looking at this then it's likely that you know just how good these amps and cabinets are. If you're not acquainted then please check out reviews online. 
      The pictures should speak for themselves but the whole rig is in truly superb condition... No marks or tears in the tolex anywhere... I look after my gear meticulously and I believe it shows here. Expect the odd light mark on the corner protectors but that's about it. 
      The amp was serviced / re-valved recently and the current power tubes have had no more than 30 hours use. 
      Orange branded covers and jack to speakon cable included. 
      Located in Sunderland, Tyne and Wear. Trial and inspection welcome. Delivery / meet-ups considered depending on distance. 
      Thanks for looking. 
      Joe

• By Jarczan
      NEW PRICE 1000 !!!!
      Sound Samples: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1FBZAiqArPSBhUibqIkFEKytnit7Z8-IT/view?usp=sharing
      Sample order: Neck Flat - Neck EQ - Both Flat - Both EQ - Bridge Flat - Bridge EQ
      Body: Afzelia(front) + Sycamore Thin Layer +  Bubinga(back) Construction: Neck-Through-Body Fingerboard: Ebony with Blue Led Dots Neck: Shedua with Flamed Sycamore Strips Scale: 34 String spacing: around 19mm Tuners: Gotoh Pickups: EMG 40P5 + EMG40DC Electronics: EMG BQC System 18V (Vol - Balance - Stack Mid/MidFreq - Stack Treble/Bass) Bridge: Brass Hipshot A Style Shaller Straplocks Included Hard Case Included Weight around: 5.1kg / 11lbs The bass recently came back from the luthier:
      The old keys were replaced with new Gotohs Old Schaller Bridge was replaced with a new Hipshot A Style Electronics upgraded to 18V One EMG 40DC replaced by EMG 40P5 New frets Fingerboard sanding before placing new frets Setup for 40-120 strings Bass is located in Poznań, Poland. I'd prefer to keep it EU only.
      Money adjustment to be discussed.

• By Paul S
      Selling my Musicman Sterling 5.  This is one of the expensive and hard to track down USA models and an utterly fab thing it is too.  Smaller bodied and lighter than a Stingray with a narrower neck, which was the appeal for me as lightweight narrow string spacing 5ers are few and far between.
      Black with BWB scratchplate and a maple neck.  Neck has a natural finish and is as smooth a silk.  Serial number dates this to 2010 and I think I have had it for 4 years, maybe 5, mainly as a back-up bass.  Scratchplate shows marks from wear but the body is surprisingly free of dings or marks - just one slight ding near the input jack.  Very little else, hardly any buckle rash, surface scuffs or swirls.  The electrics are active with a 3 band eq and a 3-way switching on the twin coil humbucker that give series/parallel/phantom coil to avoid hum.  Not entirely sure of the technicalities but they each have a different voice.  Really punchy Musicman tone.
      Stats - weighs just 3.8kg.  String spacing at the bridge is 17.5mm according to my ruler, shaky hands and poor eyesight.  43mm across the nut.  Action at the 12th fret is roughly 3mm on the B string and 2mm on the G.  Currently strung with whatever roundwounds it came with - I'd take a wild guess at some type of EBMM string   - which, as primarily a flats kind of guy, to my ears still sound nice and zingy.  It comes with the original fitted SKB hard case with Musicman embossed on the front.  Full disclosure, the inside smells a bit like a charity shop - it came like it and several attempts to deodorise with Febreeze haven't got rid.  Just to manage expectation when opening the case 😁
      I had modded this to take, initially, an additional split coil P pickup* and, subsequently, just the P pickup.  To sell it I have had it returned to stock with everything put back in place.  The only evidence is under the scratchplate where the routing for the P pickup was undertaken (by our very own Andyjr1515, so beautifully neat not butchered )
      I am selling it as all my 5 string duties are shouldered exclusively by my Maroos-chick Jake 5 meaning that this has just sat in the case as back up, unplayed.  It occured to me that I may as well buy a cheaper 5 string as back up to leave in the case unplayed and release some funds to fuel more frivolous schemes. 😂
      I am asking £1000 for this, firm, collected from South Benfleet on the Essex Riviera.  I will courier this as the case is rock solid, UK mainland and to Europe via Eurosender.  No idea how much but it will be researched and charged at cost.  Not interested in any trades at the moment, thanks.
      *I have the 5 string Delano PC 5AL/M2 pickup (and also the scratch plate) available, should anyone want to try this mod, at a friendly discount if all bought together  .

• By simonroberts788
      This is the nicest P bass I've ever had and it trounces any modern Fender in terms of looks, feel and tone. The body is lightweight at under 4 kg and the neck has a gorgeous dark Brazilian rosewood fingerboard on beautiful yellowy maple that is visually excellent but feels well worn in after 38 years of playing. The neck is pencil dated 11 .1. 1982 and it has the original reverse tuners, which hold their tuning perfectly but are visually a bit tarnished and creak a wee bit when you're changing strings. This bass has been played and played and played and feels totally worn in with all the mojo. The body has a gorgeous old-style sunburst where the red and black have faded a bit in the sun, there's plenty of edge wear but the top is clean. The neck is tight in the neck pocket and I added a thin card shim to get the best action. The back of the body has a gouge by the neck plate a few other marks and lines in the finish. The tortoiseshell pickguard is the original one and looks amazing - it's shrunk a bit in a couple of places like the old ones do but it fits good overall. There are some added screw holes under the guard where the previous owner added a different guard. The pickup is the original one in a newer casing as the original one cracked (I still have it) and has just had one of its bobbins rewound by Bare Knuckle pickups so it's back to factory spec. The ground is soldered to the original copper shielding plate in the pickup cavity. The tone is thick and punchy but retains all the definition, drives the amp well and goes all Motown when you roll the tone off - ultimate P bass tone. Unfortunately. the previous owner lost the neck plate with the JV serial number when he tried a jazz neck on it (just bonkers huh?) so the bass comes with a similar one from a Vester bass. I thought about buying a replacement JV neck plate but that felt a bit wrong so I'm leaving it as is. A new blank plate is a few quid on ebay. The bridge is a more modern replacement although I have the original bridge with the threaded saddles but the outer two grub screws are seized meaning you can't get the outer string's action right. There's an extra two screw holes under the bridge where someone must have experimented with another bridge. The knobs look like they're more modern versions with slightly domed tops rather than the flat tops. Again these are a few quid on ebay. All in all this is a fantastic bass with tons of vintage mojo and it just oozes class from every viewpoint. It looks, sounds and feels as close as you can get to a vintage early 70s bass but without the £3k price tag. I'm gutted to have to sell it as this was supposed to be a keeper but bills are piling up. A perfect example would be over a grand so someone will get a great deal here. Comes with a good gig bag. I'm down in Cornwall but would be happy to meet on the M5 somewhere for a quick sale. I'm open to different options and can ship if necessary.