Why become a member? ×

Squier Classic vibe p bass 70s

Mickyk

I haven't owned or played that specific one but I own a CV 50's P and have briefly played a CV 60's Jazz, I can say that they're great instruments. The big question will probably be, how are you with thick glossy necks?

If you're exclusively a satin neck guy, you likely wont get on with them as the glossy finish is very thick. But, that being said, it's definitely worth having a wee shot on one to see how you like it.

• Like 2

What AnAnInginAneAnA said. Me, I haven't played the 70s P, but have owned 4 Classic Vibes, 2* 60s J and 2* 50s P, and except for one easily rectified detail on one of them, all were very impressive instruments and very good value for the money. Reportedly, they can be bought untested as to build quality in itself.

Me, I'd lightly sand the neck if needed - initially with some oiled 1200 sandpaper, and than going to 600 or 300 if needed.

Reportedly, two areas of potential are the pups and the tuners. Personally, I felt no need for those upgrades, but then I'm no bass guitar player.

• Like 1

I had the CV 70s P for a while - bought as a less expensive bass for gigs where I thought the chances of things being nicked or damaged were higher.

It was nice enough for the money and very comfortable to play but I found that the frets seemed to be a bit soft when faced with plain steels and showed a lot of wear very quickly. The pickup was pretty uninspiring (although perfectly serviceable) so got swapped out.

I guess you can’t go too far wrong if you just bear in mind that as good as they are, they’re built to a price (just like anything) and you rarely get much for free.

Yes i was wondering about the necks ,how they feel  ,how they play,?does anyone know if the neck shape /size is similar to the Yamaha BB424x which i already have but as you may know with me playing Bass in a SKA band i'm still not sure that my Yam is the real deal,and i have been advised to look at the Squier Classic vibe 70S for that reason TBH

I own a CV 70s PB.  I bought it as a spare from my Fender branded American Special but now use the CV as my main instrument as I prefer the sound (I suspect most of the difference is due to the bridge).    The neck is less chunky than on a contemporary PB - although it retains a PB nut width it's a shallower profile.  I think some of te hardware is a little cheap (eg the jack socket) but thats all easily upgraded.

It was less than half the price of the American Special and I reckon worth every penny but it's a lot of money for a Squier branded instrument. 

• Like 1

I’ve got a Squier Matt Freeman which is pretty similar to the cv p bass 70s. Everything fine about it. Tried switching pickups but preferred the stock pickups. Had to change the jack socket after a couple of years to Switchcraft jack. Put a set of flats on. Rather good. 

• Like 1