Why become a member? ×

Changing Fingerboard Radius?

Greg.Bassman

Hi all. Has anyone ever changed the radius on their fingerboard? I am currently using a Yamaha BB1024 with a 10” radius, but I would like it flatter to assist with my growing playing style. It has been suggested that 16” (or upward) would provide a more even platform for my technique.

I love how it sounds, so I would rather convert the neck rather buying a new bass altogether. Is this possible, and if so, how would a luthier typically do this? I imagine that they would just take down the hump in the middle of the neck till there is a 16" radius and leave the edges as they are, right?

Cheers.

It's pretty common, usually for small changes though - there are quite a few luthier videos on youtube where this is done.

Basic principle (after pulling all the old frets) is to use a radius sanding block with the required profile to take material off the middle of the fretboard and then re-cut the fret slots and re-fret at the new radius.

There are quite a few caveats e.g. is the fretboard thick enough to flatten, will the fret marker dots need to be replaced etc. etc. But it's not difficult in principle for someone that knows what they are doing.

1 hour ago, nilebodgers said:

There are quite a few caveats e.g. is the fretboard thick enough to flatten, will the fret marker dots need to be replaced etc. etc. But it's not difficult in principle for someone that knows what they are doing.

Great, cheers for the response! Regarding fretboard thickness, it currently measures at 6.5mm (centre) to 4.75mm (edges). Also, it's a rosewood fretboard, so I hope that (after sanding) it will need little treating, unlike maple fretboards that are sometimes finished with a coat of clear lacquer etc- thus hopefully keeping costs as low as possible.

Edited by Greg.Bassman

2 minutes ago, nilebodgers said:

You will be looking at a fairly expensive modification though, I'd guess somewhere over £200 even if the inlays don't need replacing.

I assumed this to be the case. I shall gather a quote from my local luthier to find out exactly how much. Cheers again!