Why become a member? ×

Way Huge Pork n Pickle dual drive/fuzz pedal....any info?

Thunderpaws

hopefully I'm wrong but from the picture it seems there is a 2-way switch for OD or fuzz at the top. Looks like you can't blend the two distortion circuits, just pick one and add in some clean. Missed opportunity if that is the case!

Edited by GazWills

50 minutes ago, GazWills said:

hopefully I'm wrong but from the picture it seems there is a 2-way switch for OD or fuzz at the top. Looks like you can't blend the two distortion circuits, just pick one and add in some clean. Missed opportunity if that is the case!

looks that way unless theres a centre position 

• 2 weeks later...

WRT all the 'not stackable' complaints. Has anyone tried running a Pork Loin into a Muff type fuzz? i.e. Would you even want to stack this combo? I pair mine with a Rat - which works very well for my purposes, but I'd imagine with a Muff, it would be very dark and possibly not that usable.

I'd assumed the logic here was two flavours of quite dark drive. 

Edited by radiophonic
  • Like 1

I think the Pork Loin circuit in this pedal will be a lot brighter than the Pork Loins of old - there was a popular bright mod doing the rounds on Talkbass and Way Huge took heed and revised their circuit, now this one features a presence control for the OD which I assume will be able to replicate the original darker sound plus a much brighter one.

Never tried a Swollen Pickle, but in general mild overdrives into Big Muff fuzzes work very well indeed so stacking would have been nice. But that would have made the circuit more complex/expensive, and to be fair it's still better value than one of their standalone overdrive or fuzz pedals!

@dannybuoy The Pork Loin has always struck me as an oddball. It didn't even used to say 'overdrive' on it and I'm not sure people quite clocked what 'soft clip injection' meant!  Hence the later re-branding.  I really like the old dark sound and find it one of the more usable drives with a scooped 'stingray' sound IME.  I've never heard the bright mod but I do run mine at 18v and this definitely makes a difference to the headroom of clean side.  I'll be interested to hear some demos of the the P&P because they are specifically marketing this for bass but the clean side of the standard Pork Loin is very prone overload with bass (open E string can be horrid) and I have never managed to get it truly clean at 9v.  I'd always assumed that while 'bass friendly' this was still voiced for guitar. I wonder if other changes to the circuit have been made?

@dannybuoy TBF it isn't entirely clear what the long term effect of running at 18V is. Dunlop are pretty cagey about it. I was advised not to, but other have claimed to have had the OK. I'm a bit nervous about it and I'm considering the new Eathquaker Westwood as an alternative.  The Pork Loin clean channel sound is definitely not usable at 9V though - there just isn't enough headroom and it it's nothing to do with active/passive. If they really are selling the P&P for bass, they have hopefully addressed this issue but it was never even raised in the various bass demos of the original Pork Loin so I'm not holding my breath.

17 hours ago, dwh87 said:

I’ve had a Swollen Pickle mkII since it launched about ten years ago and i like it. Plenty of room for tweaking out a few different sounds. I am curious to compare it to the Pork and Pickle and see how different they sound.

It’ll sound pretty different as the Pork and Pickle is based around the Russian Pickle. 

On 1/23/2018 at 13:55, radiophonic said:

@dannybuoy The Pork Loin has always struck me as an oddball. It didn't even used to say 'overdrive' on it and I'm not sure people quite clocked what 'soft clip injection' meant!  Hence the later re-branding.  I really like the old dark sound and find it one of the more usable drives with a scooped 'stingray' sound IME.  I've never heard the bright mod but I do run mine at 18v and this definitely makes a difference to the headroom of clean side.  I'll be interested to hear some demos of the the P&P because they are specifically marketing this for bass but the clean side of the standard Pork Loin is very prone overload with bass (open E string can be horrid) and I have never managed to get it truly clean at 9v.  I'd always assumed that while 'bass friendly' this was still voiced for guitar. I wonder if other changes to the circuit have been made?

Ive been using my PL today off battery and haven’t noticed any unwanted distortion, and that’s a with my SIre V7 5 string. Maybe I just play lighter. Then again I didn’t buy this for clean so maybe I’ve just not noticed it. 

I’m going to do the bright mod tomorrow (hopefully). I actually like the tone of the stock capacitor, but feel I need to try the mod to see what difference it makes. 

@dave_bass5 If you turn the clean blend to 100% what happens with the E and B strings? I'm a pretty 'light fingered' player and I got some really nasty clipping from both a Stingray and a Fender Jazz. I discovered it when trying to use the pedal as a clean boost- so the most revealing situation - but even so, if you're marketing a pedal as soft-clip it shouldn't be doing hard clipping at the same time.  It was pretty obviously a headroom issue and it's been widely discussed on TB - somebody posted audio clips at 9v and 18v and they illustrate it perfectly. There may of course have been changes to the headroom of the clean circuit. I think mine's a v2 (i.e. 'Soft Clip Injection' not 'Soft Clip Overdrive', but doesn't say 'by George Tripps' on it) from around 2012. Otherwise a great dirt pedal and I struggle to think of anything that sounds quite like it.

I use it with the clean blend full up, and the internal trim pots as factory default. No issues that i can hear. As i said, i want it to sound dirty so maybe its getting covered up with the expected dirt (not that I’m using much). Today i was being lazy using the battery, normally ive been running it at 12v on my pedal board. 

I dont think its marketed as a bass pedal though. Ive read a few people that have this issue, but loads that have used it since it first came out, so i wouldnt  have thought it was an issue on every box made. Maybe a bad batch?

Mine just says ‘Overdrive’ and ‘by Jeorge Tripps’ at the bottom. Its dated 2014.