Why become a member? ×

Sound levels with multiple basses live

28mistertee

Not sure if this section is the right place to post but I figured effects could be the cure. Does anybody use multiple basses live and have problems matching the output levels volume and eq wise?

I play in a rock covers band involving a lot of drop tuned material and whilst it’s a lot of fun the downside is we have 3 different tunings. I’m not so bothered about hauling 3 basses around but the problem comes matching the outputs when I switch basses. I’ve got a programmable Sansamp on my board which I try to use a setting per bass but it’s a real struggle to get them all similar sounding and in volume especially as I have a mixture of passive and active basses.

The obvious and expensive solution would be to buy 3 models of identical bass but I was wondering if I was missing anything effects wise that could help me. The other problem I find is when you kick in some overdrive some basses seem to get too fuzzy where as another perfect. 

Nature of the beast I suspect but surely I’m not the only one?

Can you get away with a bass extender Drop tuner?

may be able to give you a very quick drop tune and then only 1 retune in the set?

Could then be done on 1 bass maybe 2?

other option is a volume pedal like a creation Audio MK4.23. It’s a pure 24dB clean boost. Set it to a level to equalise basses and then kick it in to match the output.

Edited by Cuzzie

Boss LS-2 could be a simple solution, it will only work with 2, but you can use it as a switcher and set different output levels on each channel, you can have them both plugged in and set to different output levels, simple stomp to swap. I've never needed that kind of switching so there me be a better solution with more channels, but the LS-2 is cheap, reliable and very useful.

4 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Can you get away with a bass extender Drop tuner?

may be able to give you a very quick drop tune and then only 1 retune in the set?

Sorry didn’t explain very well, there is a total of 5 tunings (some of the songs we have to use the correct tunings to make it possible to play the song). Dropping the bottom string is obviously no problem however I do require the 3 basses for our set. An E/DropD, Eflat/DropC# and a section in B. 

Just now, bobbass4k said:

Boss LS-2 could be a simple solution, it will only work with 2, but you can use it as a switcher and set different output levels on each channel, you can have them both plugged in and set to different output levels, simple stomp to swap. I've never needed that kind of switching so there me be a better solution with more channels, but the LS-2 is cheap, reliable and very useful.

I looked at one of these and also the Radial Bassbone, however they both are limited to two instruments. I’m unaware of a similar pedal that will do the same job for more than two basses.

No worries 

so you could.......fit drop tuners to every string. They do them with switches on the far side of the tuner.

E String a double drop tuner one step to Eb one step  to D, all other strings down half a step at a flick. 5 banger for the B tuning.

The volume boost pedal holds water still for any volume change.

I haven't tried this, but don't see why it wouldn't work. You don't need to control all 3 volumes, just match 2 to the other, so in theory a Boss LS-2 could be used? 

Bass 1 goes into the Input Jack

Basses 2 and 3 go into the A and B Return jacks, set the volumes of each to match the first bass.

Granted you would have to change the LS-2 setting to access all 3 basses, for example setting it to A<->B would switch between basses 2 and 3, but then with a twist of the Mode knob you could set it from A<->Bypass, giving you bass 1 when bypassed and bass 2 when engaged?

44 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Or if you have a second compressor, or a compressor full stop, set it to a volume boost for the bass or basses that need it?

That’s not a bad shout at all, I do have a compressor on my board however I’ve seen boards with more than one on and maybe that’s how they used it or even one for fingerstyle, one for slap etc.

25 minutes ago, Higgie said:

I haven't tried this, but don't see why it wouldn't work. You don't need to control all 3 volumes, just match 2 to the other, so in theory a Boss LS-2 could be used? 

Basses 2 and 3 go into the A and B Return jacks, set the volumes of each to match the first bass.

Granted you would have to change the LS-2 setting to access all 3 basses, for example setting it to A<->B would switch between basses 2 and 3, but then with a twist of the Mode knob you could set it from A<->Bypass, giving you bass 1 when bypassed and bass 2 when engaged?

Another great shout, I’ll have to download a manual on how this works. If it’s bypass, A and B then this would be spot on. I don’t mind bending down during a gig to flick a mode switch.

20 minutes ago, blablas said:

Maybe an unusual solution but why not use the volume knob on the bass itself?? ;)

I’d have to start putting tip ex markers on my volume knobs if I went this route I guess 😉 I know what you’re saying but I’d sooner flick a switch if you know where I’m coming from.

1 hour ago, Higgie said:

^^ This, but use "A -> B -> BYPASS" mode.

This will cycle between the three basses.

I used to have 2 compressors, went to 1, now I have one per 2 mini boards I can link to form 1 big board and change compression character.  (Pm me if interested and i’ll Show you).

i has them beginning and end of chain, primarily compression at the start for a clean tone and then change to end of chain of using dirt or envelope to even out spikes at the end, or as a boost as I had 2 basses which were vastly different. It’s not a bad option all around

1 hour ago, jrixn1 said:

^^ This, but use "A -> B -> BYPASS" mode.

This will cycle between the three basses.

Ah! How did I miss that? It's not like I've had one on my board for the last 4 years...:D

Edited by Higgie

You don't need anything in the Send at all, it will treat the Returns as an independent Input. I use it to switch between two basses live - I don't even plug a jack into the Input! Just a bass into each Return. Hope this helps.

6 hours ago, jrixn1 said:

Actually there's no need to - if you don't plug in any patch cables, it has internal wiring which does that for you.

ls-2.png

4 hours ago, Higgie said:

You don't need anything in the Send at all, it will treat the Returns as an independent Input. I use it to switch between two basses live - I don't even plug a jack into the Input! Just a bass into each Return. Hope this helps.

If I’m running a wireless pack though surely I’d need to run it through the main input and output, if this is the case then there wouldn’t be anything connected to either return as I’d just be swapping my bass on the main line?

How about a multi-fx unit?

You could set up a patch for each bass, even if it's just a flat eq and/or some compression, and balance the volume for each patch so when you change basses you just stomp the appropriate footswitch and you're done.

Obviously you don't need to use all the other bells and whistles but they are there should you ever get the urge! 

The highly regarded Zoom B3 would be the obvious choice and used ones are currently changing hands for well under £100. 

• Like 1

Surely just plugging the wireless receiver into the main input of the LS2 and setting it to A -> B -> BYPASS will do the job?  Get everything set up with the quietest bass and the LS2 set to bypass, then set the levels on the A and B channels for the other 2 basses.  I assume there's a wireless transmitter on each bass, or OP is switching the transmitter pack when they switch basses?

You need to finalise the levels in a band rehearsal, as matching loudness with the basses soloed at home won't translate 100%.

Edited by linear

1 hour ago, linear said:

Surely just plugging the wireless receiver into the main input of the LS2 and setting it to A -> B -> BYPASS will do the job?  Get everything set up with the quietest bass and the LS2 set to bypass, then set the levels on the A and B channels for the other 2 basses.  I assume there's a wireless transmitter on each bass, or OP is switching the transmitter pack when they switch basses?

You need to finalise the levels in a band rehearsal, as matching loudness with the basses soloed at home won't translate 100%.

So I could run from my wireless/tuner into the input then output to rest of the effects, I wouldn’t need to connect to the A&B and the dials would still adjust the A&B or do I need to jumper both A&B send/return with two patch cables?

Unfortunately I only own the one wireless so the receiver stays in my pocket and I just unplug and plug back in when I switch.

2 hours ago, linear said:

Good shout! I've only ever used the LS2 to switch between 2 basses using the A & B Returns, so this is all guesswork for me! Would be a great solution if it does work like that!