Why become a member? ×

NORTH WEST BASS BASH

funkgod

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

We live in Clapham and the CFO does the admin for the village hall so that's easy. It's a typical village hall, large space for stuff, separate kitchen, and eating area. Clean and well looked after. It has the benefit of free gigabit broadband to the premises with WiFi courtesy of B4RN.  Not sure what that means for bass playing but you aren't going to struggle for access to social media. 

Let's see how many more might be interested and  see if we can find a date that works in a few months time. 

Penrith is exactly one hour from us. We play rugby up there. Newcastle is around 2.5 hours as we play rugby there as well. Liverpool is just under two hours, you can probably guess why I know that. Leeds is about 90 mins depending on how many tractors are on the A65 that day. York is around two hours. 

Edited by rwillett
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, zbd1960 said:

As a new resident of Penrith I can say I'm in for this as it looks to be an easy drive. 

You’ve moved to a very nice part of the country, congrats. I have a couple of friends up there, one of whom is currently visiting Morecambe so we went out for a beer on Sunday. He runs a blues band up there called Bare Wires, you should look out for them.

51 minutes ago, rwillett said:

We like Morecambe. Didn't know there was a blues band there. Will look for them.

[edited as I can’t read band properly and read bar instead]

My friends band Bare Wires are up in Penrith.

Down here in Morecambe and Lancaster there’s more bands than you can shake a stick at! Blues, funk, soul, rock, I think I could see a band every night of the week within a fifteen minute radius of my house. My next outing will be Jazz Jam in Lancaster on Friday night, top larks! 
Rob

• 3 months later...

Thats five or six. We can now fill a table. 

I've never been to a bass bash so unsure what to expect. I'm more than happy to organise the day but would like some input from people on what to do. 

What about early May? I coach an u16 girls rugby team so Saturday and Sunday is difficult. Not sure if people would prefer Sat or Sun so let's see what people like. 

I can provide power extension cables, laptops are not an issue, I have a few guitars and may well have made a few more by then via my 3d printers. 

Teas and coffee is easy and there is a proper kitchen to cook in. 

I don't have any big amps and don't have pedals as I use an ipad and or mod dwarf. 

Thoughts and ideas welcomed

Well, this is a damn sight closer to me than both the SE and SW bashes... colour me interested... 

Realistically I'd guess for most folk a weekend is best.  Bashes seem to traditionally be on a Sunday, but either works for me.

You'd better have plenty room - if I come down, I'm bringing it all - 8-ish basses, amp, stands, the whole kit and caboodle...

This is Clapham village hall, it is probably, in the nicest possible way, as cliche a village hall as anywhere I have ever lived. It's very clean and tidy, people take care of it and treat it with respect as it's a valuable local amenity. The Brownies and Guides use it on a Monday evening, the local IT group for senior citizens use it every month, the WI have it, there are quizes here, we have jumble sales and meetings here. I would be gobsmaked if they have ever had anybody playing bass through a large (or any) stack here :) I am going to hire it for myself and my family so I can lay out my Scaletrix in full (my kids love it, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it). My house backs onto the village hall and as I type this I can see the entrance door through my office window. The kitchen is good and there are plenty of plates and stuff.

https://claphamyorkshire.co.uk/locals/clapham-village-hall/

We are around 25 mins from the M6 if you are coming down from Scotland. Lancaster is 45 mins away via either M6 or the backroads through Hornby and Caton. There is parking at the village hall, outside on the roads (no yellow lines in the village at all).  Leeds is 90 mins along the A65, though it depends on the number of caravans heading to the Lake District. There is a train station, Clapham North Yorkshire, which has a reliable but infrequent service, about a mile away. Skipton is 35 mins. Anybody coming from Newcastle area would probably come Penrith way, 2.5 hours (ish).

I think we are actually getting close to enough numbers to make this viable. My company will sponsor the event, which is a dead posh way of saying, I'll pay for the day and bank it through my company so it goes against my corporate taxes, there's no VAT to claim back sadly.

What about a Sunday in early May, rugby is over, weather a little better than now, though you can expect rain. my forecasting is that good six months out. It always rains here :)

I can see if Promendate Music in Morecombe would be interested in coming along. It would depend on numbers. I have no relationship with them, so if somebody lives Morecombe way, and knows them well, that might help.

Who else is in for early May and what else do we need to do?

Thanks

Rob

34 minutes ago, rwillett said:

This is Clapham village hall, it is probably, in the nicest possible way, as cliche a village hall as anywhere I have ever lived. It's very clean and tidy, people take care of it and treat it with respect as it's a valuable local amenity. The Brownies and Guides use it on a Monday evening, the local IT group for senior citizens use it every month, the WI have it, there are quizes here, we have jumble sales and meetings here. I would be gobsmaked if they have ever had anybody playing bass through a large (or any) stack here :) I am going to hire it for myself and my family so I can lay out my Scaletrix in full (my kids love it, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it). My house backs onto the village hall and as I type this I can see the entrance door through my office window. The kitchen is good and there are plenty of plates and stuff.

https://claphamyorkshire.co.uk/locals/clapham-village-hall/

We are around 25 mins from the M6 if you are coming down from Scotland. Lancaster is 45 mins away via either M6 or the backroads through Hornby and Caton. There is parking at the village hall, outside on the roads (no yellow lines in the village at all).  Leeds is 90 mins along the A65, though it depends on the number of caravans heading to the Lake District. There is a train station, Clapham North Yorkshire, which has a reliable but infrequent service, about a mile away. Skipton is 35 mins. Anybody coming from Newcastle area would probably come Penrith way, 2.5 hours (ish).

I think we are actually getting close to enough numbers to make this viable. My company will sponsor the event, which is a dead posh way of saying, I'll pay for the day and bank it through my company so it goes against my corporate taxes, there's no VAT to claim back sadly.

What about a Sunday in early May, rugby is over, weather a little better than now, though you can expect rain. my forecasting is that good six months out. It always rains here :)

I can see if Promendate Music in Morecombe would be interested in coming along. It would depend on numbers. I have no relationship with them, so if somebody lives Morecombe way, and knows them well, that might help.

Who else is in for early May and what else do we need to do?

Thanks

Rob

A Sunday in early May works for me, I'll bring everything I have, but what that is by then is anyone's guess ha ha. I'm sure there will still be Barefaced cabs and a tasty amp or three, as well as my vintage Fenders.

I live in Morecambe, so will be able to speak to Gary at Promenade Music about it closer to the time. We'll need to decide what we're asking first.

Thanks for offering to sort this out!

Rob

Ahh, just seen that they have announced the dates for Ribble Valley Jazz & Blues Festival - Fri 3rd to Mon 6th May 2024. Chances are I'll be getting at least one gig at this festival. I played it this year, and now I'm two bands that could do it.

Rob