Why become a member? ×

Sampling.. but is it proper music making etc?

Barking Spiders

As some people here seem to think only rap and hip hop use samplers.

Large portions of this are manually triggered samples*, tell me this isn't original or creative...

*for clarification: everything but the vocals and the drums are samples, of one form or another, and they're all manually triggered. No loops.

Edited by bartelby

11 minutes ago, bartelby said:

As some people here seem to think only rap and hip hop use samplers.

Large portions of this are manually triggered samples, tell me this isn't original or creative...

yep, a great case in point. The Young Gods were doing this stuff way back in the mists of time, aka late 80s, when most rock bands were still plodding away with blues based riffs

2 minutes ago, project_c said:

Sorry but that's horsesh!t. Bowie used samples in loads of songs. Remember that tune he made with Goldie in the 90s? It was all samples.

I was going to post something similar, but I couldn't stop laughing...

6 minutes ago, project_c said:

Sorry but that's horsesh!t. Bowie used samples in loads of songs. Remember that tune he made with Goldie in the 90s? It was all samples.

You beat me to it - twice! - but I was going to use the term 'nonsense' instead of horsepoop. 

Much of Bowie’s own music contains samples - i.e. pretty much all of his output from the 1980s onwards (electronic drums, synths, etc).

The problem with this discussion is that to some folks, using samples equates to Puff Diffy lifting wholesale from ‘Every Breath You Take’. Whereas it's much more subtle and prolific than that.

And Bowie, perhaps more than most, would have embraced sampling much earlier in his career had the technology been available, for sure. As would Beethoven :) 

Edited by Skol303

5 hours ago, oldbass said:

Plagarism....plain and simple. Did Bowie et al nick stuff, course not they were...."original".

It's not plagiarism to quote other people, although it would be common in written work to reference the sources.

And musicians, including Bowie, have been sampling and quoting each other from time immemorial. For example, The Jean Jeanie quotes from the Yardbirds version of Bo Diddley's I'm a Man.

Original, insofar as it exists at all, is always built upon the work of others.

Edited by EssentialTension
Spelling