Why become a member? ×

Handbox Audio WB-100 - new 120w tube head (pics)

wateroftyne

8 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

A sad occasion this weekend, as the trial WB-100 was collected by its first proper owner (another BC'er, I'm happy to say).

Funds are tight for me at the mo, otherwise I would have bought it seconds after gigging it for the first time.

I hope to correct that soon, though - until then, back to the also-marvellous R-400.

And I’m very happy to say that I’m the very happy new owner. I’ve just given it a blast in the practice room, and it is A-MAZ-ING! It grinds my Genz Benz ShuttleMax 12.2 into the dust. It just has an authority that that the GB cannot get close to. It sounds so alive and the GB just sounds sterile in comparison. And it is loud, I mean really loud, and when I tried to get the same volume and depth out of the GB, it caused the output to clip. The EQ is simple but very usable. The build quality is absolutely impeccable. It looks fantastic, it’s compact, and whilst it isn’t light, it’s certainly very manageable. If this amp wasn’t actually mine, and I’d just borrowed it for the night, I’d be ordering one tomorrow. It might sound ridiculous to say that an amp that probably costs the best part of a grand is bargain, but it’s hand-made, hand-wired by someone who really knows what he’s doing. I cannot speak highly enough of this amp. Anyway, I’ve got a gig on Saturday, and maybe I should’ve waited until after that before I posted this but I’m just gushing! Thanks again Michael for meeting up, really appreciated, and I can so understand why you were sad to see it go. Anyway, here’s a pic:

1CCCA8E0-CA03-430B-83F8-34CF9D36B797.jpeg

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, obbm said:

For those down south I will have my WB-100 at the South East Bass Bash on the 29th September.

If you can't make the Bash then PM me if you want to drop by and try it.

Dave, I would love the opportunity to plug this into my Super Twin at the Bash. We should probably alert the authorities first though...

Edited by JapanAxe
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, JapanAxe said:

Dave, I would love the opportunity to plug this into my Super Twin at the Bash. We should probably alert the authorities first though...

I’d suggest NOT doing this unless you have the cash to get one...because you WILL want one! 

It’s a couple of hours since my little practice, and I’m still smiling!

31 minutes ago, warwickhunt said:

I've gigged this twice and I am genuinely gutted that you own it... and I don't!  :/  

Despite gigging with an amp x6 the power of the Handbox, I never had a problem with volume or authority of tone.  

Enjoy the amp and if you decide it isn't for you... you know where I am.  ;)  

Ha ha, sorry, not sorry 😉

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, colleya said:

Nice. Hope he's recessed the butterfly clips enough so that it stands on edge now. The number of diving saves I've had to make after absent mindedly putting mine down like that......

Ooh, I just noticed that... good spot! It'll save me a bit of heartache, too.

And I've just noticed I've posted this on the wrong thread. I'm a divvy.

2 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I believe there's going to be a WB-100 at the South East bass bash this weekend...

There is!  I'm bringing it with my Berg NV115 cab but anyone who is interested in one can try it with their own speakers. 

On 24/06/2018 at 09:53, wateroftyne said:

I've finally found the upper limits of the WB-100 😄

I depped with a power trio last night (the drummer was a dep too - never met him before). It was post-match in a fairly big pub room.

The bandleader likes it LOUD. Like, really loud. Everything goes through the PA... apart from the bass. Gulp.

So, I threw caution to the wind, maxxed out the output as usual, drove the input much harder than I normally would,

Clean? Not quite. Playing lightly on the quite bits.. yes. As soon as I dug in, I was rewarded with a responsive, creamy grind.

Great fun for that kind of stuff. I can't imagine playing at that volume without a PA too often, mind. Glad I had my earplugs...

Here's a clip - roundwounds, tone off completely, and can still hear those mids..

I'll post a clip later of a tune with a pick, and the bright switch on. It's hilarious in its clarity.

LOL  Just found this!  Yes Lee does tend to like it loud but you're lucky you didn't have our regular drummer in... he's harder/louder.  ;)  

Might be an opportunity coming up for you to dep for me again, ideal opportunity to see how your R400 handles it.  :)  

4 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

LOL  Just found this!  Yes Lee does tend to like it loud but you're lucky you didn't have our regular drummer in... he's harder/louder.  ;)  

Might be an opportunity coming up for you to dep for me again, ideal opportunity to see how your R400 handles it.  :)  

I've done a couple with him with the R-400.. it was mint 🙂

And loud 😮

1 hour ago, obbm said:

I used mine at rehearsal on Wednesday night.  just wonderful through the Berg NV115.  Nice compliments from our sound guy too.

Sound guy at rehearsal? How posh are you! Plus I’m very jealous you have one of these, excuse the envy.

• Haha 1