Why become a member? ×

Handbox Audio WB-100 - new 120w tube head (pics)

wateroftyne

So yes, anyway - this was today...

The songs are coming together, so I had a bit of time to do some A/B-ing.

Basically, as they have the same pre, the characteristics are the same - the richness & clarity. But the WB-100 is bigger and 'bloomier', whereas the R-400 is more focussed. So no surprises there, then...

P2140026.jpg

P2140025.jpg

• Like 2

Just now, wateroftyne said:

^^^ actually, the gain settings on the above photo tells a story. Both were set to pretty much the same volume - the output on the WB-100 is maxxed (as Leszek suggested) but as you can see, the input is barely ticking over. 

So defo a speaker killer if you forget to kill the output before you pull the jack...

Just now, EBS_freak said:

So defo a speaker killer if you forget to kill the output before you pull the jack...

Yeah... I guess it would be! I just a mute-y cable, so I don't think about it.

...until the mute mechanism fails. ha ha.

TBH, I'm going to dial the output back tomorrow, and it the input harder.

Ahh... I knew I was going to do something today. Today was pretty intense, so I didn't really have much time to think. I used the R-400 all day, as it's what was left plugged in last night.

They're both going with me this weekend, so I'll have a bit mess around with it at the soundcheck tomorrow night.

1 hour ago, Lw. said:

So how did it do?

It's incredible.

The R-400 became a backup for the weekend.

I didn't have much - if any - in my monitor... I just cooked on backline, and the WB-100 was more than capable. Loads of clean volume.

When it came to Video Killed the Radio Star, I picked up a plec, hit the bright switch and dug in, and it growled like a beast. On the soulier P-and-flats stuff, it was beautifully round.

I honestly would be happy with the R-400, but somehow the WB sounds even bigger and richer, and it feels like a work of art.

I'm trying to decide if it's overkill for my needs. But then it's still a one-hand lift. But I haven't got the cash anyway.

It's overkill.

I think.

Isn't it?

P2160061.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

I honestly would be happy with the R-400, but somehow the WB sounds even bigger and richer, and it feels like a work of art.

WOT in 6 months time "I have an amp which is really nice, but I used to have an amp which was even better. "

Time to sell something that you are hoarding to buy something you will use regularly.

Hello mr. WoT.

I think that handbox should seriously consider to endorse you and give you the WB amp no money asked!

i know you are spreading out the handbox name just because you are a great passionate and happen to like their amps, but it’ s an impressive showcase nonetheless.

keep the spirit and the passion bro

9 hours ago, sratas said:

Hello mr. WoT.

I think that handbox should seriously consider to endorse you and give you the WB amp no money asked!

i know you are spreading out the handbox name just because you are a great passionate and happen to like their amps, but it’ s an impressive showcase nonetheless.

keep the spirit and the passion bro

Ha.. that would be nice. I doubt Leszek could take the hit of discounting or giving one away, and if he could, he'd probably be wise to save it for the big-hitters.

But you've nailed it - I just love the amp(s) and I think they should have a higher profile*. There's not a lot of comparable kit out there.

*See also TKS & Maruszczyk, who I've also previously shouted from the rooftops about :-)