Why become a member? ×

Handbox Audio WB-100 - new 120w tube head (pics)

wateroftyne

On 1/10/2018 at 14:49, wateroftyne said:

Some more gen:

• Power: 120W - 4x6L6
  • Preamp: 3x12AX7 
  • 460mm x 185mm x 340 mm
  • 16kg

Thanks for posting this WoT. The dimensions was the first thing that popped into my head. Just so happens this will fit on my BF ST  - holy balls! Major gas now!

10 hours ago, Beer of the Bass said:

I'm concerned about that photo of the back.  From that photo it looks a lot like the plates of the 6l6s are glowing red.  This does not happen in normal use; it's usually a sign that the valves are drawing too much current and can lead to short valve life and sudden failures.  Perhaps check in with the maker about that.  

OK... just had another blast on it, and I can confirm there's no LEDs - it's just the long exposure. In reality, the valves just glow gently :-)

On 05/02/2018 at 18:06, wateroftyne said:

Quick update... Leszek's just messaged to tell me a trial model is en-route to Geordieland :-)

He says: 'It isn't the final design, but let's treat this matter like experiment ok? Amp sounds brighter caused by the speaker transformer I have used in this one. I am happy to hear your opinion, but ultimately I will use the transformer with a darker sound.'

So... we'll see what happens! It's arriving just in time for a solid week of rehearsals, so I'll have loads of time to try it.

At some point I imagine it'll be going on a grand tour of the UK, so watch this space.

So do we know or have an idea to when they will be happy to run with a production model? 

On 05/02/2018 at 18:06, wateroftyne said:

At some point I imagine it'll be going on a grand tour of the UK, so watch this space.

Any chance of it getting down to the south west in time for the Great South West bass bash?  https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/314098-the-big-fat-south-west-bass-bash-2018-08042018/

• Like 1

A couple of people have asked about the distortion on this amp, so a spent a couple of minutes after today's rehearsal to make a quick clip.

I rarely if every use distortion, so I'm no judge. Bear in mind that this was incredibly loud. For 120w, this amp has a lot of headroom before it gets dirty!

I could have backed off the output to bring it in earlier, but... I forgot.

9 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

I notice on all the pictures you have volume on full. How loud is it? Is am guessing it would have difficulty staying clean at gig level with no additional amplification?

What is it like compared to the 400 that you have?

Hello!

Good question. Leszek suggested I just leave it opened up, so that's what I've done. I can only think this thinks I play in insanely loud bands. ha ha.

In the distortion clip above, the first clean section is already turned up louder than it was in the rehearsal - and that's in a big room with full brass. I'd expected it to distort then, and I was surprised when it stayed clean. I had to crank it even more to get it hitting pretty hard, but even then there was still a long way to go on the input gain.

I'll have better idea today as I'm A/Bing it with the R-400, and I know where that's usually set around gig volume.

8 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

Good question. Leszek suggested I just leave it opened up, so that's what I've done. I can only think this thinks I play in insanely loud bands. ha ha.

Thats why I am wondering, I do play in an insanely loud band.

8 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

In the distortion clip above, the first clean section is already turned up louder than it was in the rehearsal - and that's in a big room with full brass. I'd expected it to distort then, and I was surprised when it stayed clean. I had to crank it even more to get it hitting pretty hard, but even then there was still a long way to go on the input gain.

I'll have better idea today as I'm A/Bing it with the R-400, and I know where that's usually set around gig volume.

Interested to hear how it goes.

Just now, wateroftyne said:

Hmm.. I imagine if you want insanely loud and clean, it's probably not for you...

Its hard to tell loud isn't it.

I have a TC450 (so not insanely), which lives at half volume pretty well, with the only difference being that at practice it goes into 1 8 ohm 1x12 TC speaker, and for gigs it goes into 2 (so 4 ohms). I also bought a MiBass 220 to practice with. Don't like it much, but i took it to practice once. Flat out (again into one speaker) we couldn't hear it.

On the positive side, I don't need that clean

1 minute ago, Woodinblack said:

Its hard to tell loud isn't it.

I have a TC450 (so not insanely), which lives at half volume pretty well, with the only difference being that at practice it goes into 1 8 ohm 1x12 TC speaker, and for gigs it goes into 2 (so 4 ohms). I also bought a MiBass 220 to practice with. Don't like it much, but i took it to practice once. Flat out (again into one speaker) we couldn't hear it.

On the positive side, I don't need that clean

Yeah.... I used an RH450 for a year or so a while back.

The WB-100 is in a different world. It's just there. Big, fat notes. 

I'm not going to use the word 'heft'.

Oh, bugger. I just used the word 'heft'.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Merton said:

Can’t wait to try/hear this amp in the flesh (somehow!). It looks absolutely bob on what I want in an all valve head. Not that I need it, but that’s another story haha

Once I'm done with it, and assuming Mrs. WoT doesn't give in, we'll work on a road trip for it :-)

• Like 1