Why become a member? ×

Handbox Audio WB-100 - new 120w tube head (pics)

wateroftyne

On ‎10‎/‎01‎/‎2018 at 14:49, wateroftyne said:

Some more gen:

• Power: 120W - 4x6L6
  • Preamp: 3x12AX7 
  • 3U x 362mm x 270 mm
  • 16kg

According to their web site those speakers in the photo are 490mm wide so I think it's wider than 362mm.  Shame.

• Like 1

Be really interesting to see how this A/Bs against the Ashdown CTM100 (currently on sale for £999 at Gear4Music) which it seems to be in direct competition with?

On the surface it would seem that the CTM has the better EQ and tone shaping controls and, of course, that all important trademark VU meter :) 

The Handbox is 3kg lighter.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Quick update... Leszek's just messaged to tell me a trial model is en-route to Geordieland :-)

He says: 'It isn't the final design, but let's treat this matter like experiment ok? Amp sounds brighter caused by the speaker transformer I have used in this one. I am happy to hear your opinion, but ultimately I will use the transformer with a darker sound.'

So... we'll see what happens! It's arriving just in time for a solid week of rehearsals, so I'll have loads of time to try it.

At some point I imagine it'll be going on a grand tour of the UK, so watch this space.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, discreet said:

Well... what does it sound like..? How about some noise? :)

One word... massive. I was instantly reminded how tactile valve heads are.

Here's a really crappy vid I've thrown together tonight. The camera mic is terrible, so please don't pay too much attention to it. Also, I was so giddy with excitement I forgot to play anything useful. ha ha.

• Like 1

I'm concerned about that photo of the back.  From that photo it looks a lot like the plates of the 6l6s are glowing red.  This does not happen in normal use; it's usually a sign that the valves are drawing too much current and can lead to short valve life and sudden failures.  Perhaps check in with the maker about that.