Why become a member? ×

Handbox Audio WB-100 - new 120w tube head (pics)

wateroftyne

• 3 months later...
On 28/06/2019 at 11:42, bigjohn said:

Is there still a demo one knocking around in the UK?

I'd love to give one of these a try... 

You’re welcome to give mine a blast if you’re ever anywhere near Halifax (not exactly close to Nottingham but closer than Bristol!)

1 minute ago, bigjohn said:

Thanks gents. 

Wasn't there an actual demo head about. Or have I imagined that?

I'm custodian of that at the moment., but obviously it's not cheap to ship about. Drop Leszek an email and see if he wants me to move it on - there's no harm in asking.

8 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

I'm custodian of that at the moment., but obviously it's not cheap to ship about. Drop Leszek an email and see if he wants me to move it on - there's no harm in asking.

Ah cool. I will do. 

I can't see us rehearsing again until September, which is really where I want to see how it sounds. The studio we use is moving and people are on holiday in between. So no rush either way. There's a chance I might be coming to the NE too. I have a long overdue visit to some friends who live Durham way. 

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, crabman said:

A couple of quick questions as I'm interested in these:

1. The DI on the R400 got good reviews in the other thread.  Is the one in the WB-100 as good?
  2. How do the Power and Standby switches function?

Anyone using them with Barefaced BB2s?

1. Same DI, just as good 🙂
2. On the WB-100? Just like any other tube head, so :

• Set it to standby
  • Power it up
  • Wait a minute or so 
  • If you're ready to play, switch it out of standby, wait for the logo to change to green, and off you go
  • When you're not using it, switch it back to standby
  • When you're ready to pack up, switch it to standby, wait for the logo to switch to red, and power it down

All this is basically to preserve tube life.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

2. On the WB-100? Just like any other tube head, so

As a note, same as any other tube head, apart from the Ashdown CTM-100 which doesn't have a standby.

3 hours ago, foxyFuze said:

I think Lesczek recommends up to 5 mins warm up time, but I don't know if that is just playing it safe, not being a valve amp expert. 

Generally with valves, the cooling down is more important for long life than the heating up!

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I received a WB-100 yesterday, fortuitously just in time for a rehearsal. 

I play with 2 guitarists who have a somewhat heavy tone and we play loud, in an new rehearsal space that really needs a lot more work doing on it in terms of dampening. It's long and thin and brittle sounding. 

I like quite a clean tone. Fat and smooth with a bit of bite when I dig in. I use a P, finger style with big fat flats and I roll all of the treble off. So you can imagine I require a fair bit of power to get where I want. I have been using an SVT preamp into a 600W Chevin mosfet power amp for some time. I use a Barefaced Compact. 

I can't say I wouldn't like a bit more power, as such my tone was little bit more crunchy than I would normally like, but I got on with it just fine. Volume was maxed, gain I hovered between 3 and 4 trying to find a sweet spot. Maybe I need a bigger cab. 

Will be fine for gigs as usual venues are PA and monitored. 

The tone from it really is brilliant though. And more power would come with probably quite a bit more more weight. 

Edited by bigjohn
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

I received a WB-100 yesterday, fortuitously just in time for a rehearsal. 

I play with 2 guitarists who have a somewhat heavy tone and we play loud, in an new rehearsal space that really needs a lot more work doing on it in terms of dampening. It's long and thin and brittle sounding. 

I like quite a clean tone. Fat and smooth with a bit of bite when I dig in. I use a P, finger style with big fat flats and I roll all of the treble off. So you can imagine I require a fair bit of power to get where I want. I have been using an SVT preamp into a 600W Chevin mosfet power amp for some time. I use a Barefaced Compact. 

I can't say I wouldn't like a bit more power, as such my tone was little bit more crunchy than I would normally like, but I got on with it just fine. Volume was maxed, gain I hovered between 3 and 4 trying to find a sweet spot. Maybe I need a bigger cab. 

Will be fine for gigs as usual venues are PA and monitored. 

The tone from it really is brilliant though. And more power would come with probably quite a bit more more weight. 

Good stuff!

Did you experiment much with the drive switch, and feedback selector? 

46 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Good stuff!

Did you experiment much with the drive switch, and feedback selector? 

Yeah, the drive added more crunch and I was looking for less. 

Feedback selector seemed to scoop in the left position and add might mids in the right. Both of them lost me presence in the mix. Fine in the middle. 

I also found it best with the contour dialled right back to zero. I assume this is flat? I dunno. 

I'm going to have a bit more of play with it later at household volume. 

I have both (and yeah, I've been known to stack them*) and either will do the job very, very well; it just depends whether bringing two cabs (admittedly not heavy ones) to make a stack is what you're after... 😀

* Don't do this with the WB-100, or the Magic White Smoke will be released... 😕

33 minutes ago, Muzz said:

I have both (and yeah, I've been known to stack them*) and either will do the job very, very well; it just depends whether bringing two cabs (admittedly not heavy ones) to make a stack is what you're after... 😀

* Don't do this with the WB-100, or the Magic White Smoke will be released... 😕

Surely they could be wired in parallel for a 4 Ohm load?

To be honest another compact would probably suit me. I could leave one at home and one at the studio and then pair them up if I ever felt like knocking people over.