Why become a member? ×

Handbox Audio WB-100 - new 120w tube head (pics)

wateroftyne

2 minutes ago, danbowskill said:

That looks beautiful 🙂

what's the volume like on it? could it cut it with a loud rock band with a 6x10 cab? im quite intreuged by these heads

Loud. Yes it could, if you don't mind it getting a but hairy when you dig in. I think I posted a clip earlier in this thread from which illustrates it. I imagine it would sound mint through a decent 6x10.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely incredible sounding amp. 

I’ve wanted to go back to an all valve amp for a long time, but my STAK is just way too heavy and all the new stuff is incredibly expensive (and heavy!)

The WB-100 is just adorable 😉 

I’ll post a more informative review once I’ve done a couple of rehearsals. 

E03A0F25-74FD-432A-A721-0D428EB8AEE3.jpeg

Edited by drlargepants
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, wateroftyne said:

It's cosmetic changes, from what I can see. Despite the the previously noted plastic nuts on the jack (I'd prefer metal, too), it feels as solid as the last one. I don't think anything's been tinkered with internally.

That’s got different latches for the cover than mine. Odd. 

Seán

1 minute ago, drlargepants said:

Apparently so. 

I don’t have an upgraded one to compare against so I’m unaware of the benefits. 

From the brief time I used it, I think I can notice a difference. The upgraded transformer feels a bit thicker, if that's even possible.

Mind, it could be my imagination, so take it with a pinch of salt.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wateroftyne said:

From the brief time I used it, I think I can notice a difference. The upgraded transformer feels a bit thicker, if that's even possible.

Mind, it could be my imagination, so take it with a pinch of salt.

I'm led to believe that the output transformer is one of the most commonly upgraded components in a Fender Blues Junior. Unfortunately I only heard the "before" and "after," via a former bandmate's amp a few weeks apart, but I think there was some subtle improvement to the tone. More discernible than gold-plated jack plugs or good ol'fashioned snake oil, at any rate...

23 minutes ago, EliasMooseblaster said:

I'm led to believe that the output transformer is one of the most commonly upgraded components in a Fender Blues Junior. Unfortunately I only heard the "before" and "after," via a former bandmate's amp a few weeks apart, but I think there was some subtle improvement to the tone. More discernible than gold-plated jack plugs or good ol'fashioned snake oil, at any rate...

If you get the bias Amp II application you can try it and see that changing the output transformer actually makes quite a bit of a difference!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, wateroftyne said:

Had time for a bit of noodling over the last couple of days. Here's a clip with the pre-amp being hit hard.

I'd love to do something to show the power stage in overdrive, but neither my cheap Zoom recorder nor neighbours would ever speak to me again.

Lush!

I discovered the feedback switch today. I’m not entirely sure what it does but on the left position it sounds incredible with my JB. 

It seems to calm everything down and knock a lot of the treble off also.  Perfect !

im more than happy with it. It doesn’t do super loud and clean, but it’s certainly loud enough for what I do. 

Finally, an amp I’m happy with. Gosh !

Edited by drlargepants
  • Like 3

On 16/03/2019 at 12:47, wateroftyne said:

Had time for a bit of noodling over the last couple of days. Here's a clip with the pre-amp being hit hard.

I'd love to do something to show the power stage in overdrive, but neither my cheap Zoom recorder nor neighbours would ever speak to me again.

Oh no....that's bloody brilliant, and I've just bought a new house... 😕🙂

image.png.e80c496b71dd4cb876f21a978be5de23.png