Why become a member? ×

Complaining Neighbour

pbasspecial

Not sure if I'm in the minority with this but I often practice with my Jazz Bass unamplified and acoustically not just late at night but earlier in the day also. The sound of it is loud enough for me to hear unless I'm playing along to music. Your neighbour sounds like a proper nightmare but speaking as someone who lived in a flat below a guy who would regularly come home at 3am on weekday nights and weekends and drunkenly wrestle with his friends and play the most mindless house music you could ever imagine at volumes which could have made me think I was in the ground floor of a club, I would advise exercising caution.

I ended up having to regularly remonstrate with this massive idiot who saw no problem in keeping his neighbours awake and refused to accept his 'music' was too loud. I subsequently harboured a deep resentment that verged on hatred for this guy, the fact that we were forced to live in such close proximity made my home life very unpleasant at times. This is a situation to be avoided at all costs. I'm not suggesting that you'd behave in such a way but I can see that the sound of practice or indeed any kind of repetitive loudish noise whilst you're trying to sleep / concentrate on work etc. can eat away at someone especially if they are somewhat unbalanced mentally.

As others have said she needs to be aware that there is give and take required but if you get yourself a decent set of headphones you can shred your bass to the high heavens at any time of day without that unsettling feeling you may be antagonising your neighbour.

Edited by EdLib-3
typo

6 minutes ago, EdLib-3 said:

Not sure if I'm in the minority with this but I often practice with my Jazz Bass unamplified and acoustically not just late at night but earlier in the day also. The sound of it is loud enough for me to hear unless I'm playing along to music. 

I often do this as well, it works fine for learning new material. It os even loud enough for playing to music from my laptop's little built in speakers. No quality to speak of, but if you just need to learn stuff, it works fine. I do this with my wife sleeping in the next room and she never hears a thing.

58 minutes ago, EdLib-3 said:

Not sure if I'm in the minority with this but I often practice with my Jazz Bass unamplified and acoustically not just late at night but earlier in the day also.

I do pretty well all the time downstairs, just less hassle then connecting things up, or headphones in the evening. I have a music room where I play with the amps and stuff, but the majority of the time it is unamplified.

3 hours ago, Fastra said:

I use one of these, and it works perfectly....

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/vox-amplug-2-headphone-amp-bass/103325?gclid=Cj0KCQiA-ebSBRC8ARIsAGuxJIqIx_8Z28xdqBUpRmDKuhIMbGWpiIhWa7E3NfwoKLnuyNdLq6yFEPoaAvFsEALw_wcB

vox-amplug-2-headphone-amp-bass-316725.jpg

Yes, I also use one of these all the time. So simple, and with a line input and a rhythm box also.

With a decent pair of 'phones it's difficult to fault.

• Like 1

On 13/01/2018 at 13:06, Fastra said:

I found mine REALLY nosy and poor build quality. Sent it straight back, and I NEVER send things back!