Why become a member? ×

Complaining Neighbour

pbasspecial

I much prefer using headphones for practice. I can't concentrate when I think I might be annoying someone. Using headphones I can get the perfect sound, benefit from full stereo effects like reverb, and using a 'Baseboard' I get the feel of sitting in front of a huge rig. 

6 minutes ago, Fastra said:

is that supposed to mean something - or we still in the 60's and I should beat her until she does????

FFS!

Absolutely. (This was a joke in case anyway can't work it out)

My point was that of course you need to be respectful, tolerant and willing to compromise in a healthy relationship, however, that also means that they do too.

Doing things that they other person may not love but you do once in a while is good for your soul, and a better husband/dad such as going out with your friends and having one time too many beers, etc.

My wife is smart enough to allow me to whatever I want (within reason) knowing that as I am naturally lazy, I probably won't.  However, if she told told me NOT to do something, she knows I am strong willed and stupid enough to do it even if it means cutting my nose off. 

• Haha 1

Just now, pbasspecial said:

Absolutely. (This was a joke in case anyway can't work it out)

My point was that of course you need to be respectful, tolerant and willing to compromise in a healthy relationship, however, that also means that they do too.

Doing things that they other person may not love but you do once in a while is good for your soul, and a better husband/dad such as going out with your friends and having one time too many beers, etc.

My wife is smart enough to allow me to whatever I want (within reason) knowing that as I am naturally lazy, I probably won't.  However, if she told told me NOT to do something, she knows I am strong willed and stupid enough to do it even if it means cutting my nose off. 

What ever works for you! If that's what you have to do then fair enough.

8 minutes ago, Fastra said:

What ever works for you! If that's what you have to do then fair enough.

I'm sorry if I touched a nerve.  I didn't want to cause offence just highlight a single word you used.

As far as I am aware marriage is not a job, they are not the employer and you are not the employee.  You are the king and you wife is the queen, and your children are the prince and princesses of your castle.  

I love my wife and kids to pieces, respect them and only want the best for them. I want them to grow and realise their full potential, to become who they were truly meant to be (my eldest child, 26, is transgender) and I am fully supportive of that decision too.  Be who you are, not who others expect you to be. 

• Like 1

When i practice, it's usually pretty quietly. I'd love to turn up and freak out but I realise there are limits to what neighbours are ready to put up with.

I did once turn everything up to 10. That was when my downstairs neighbours we blasting their stereo at full volume. I placed my amp, speaker down, on my floor and gave them a blast of bass feedback at 500 watts. After about 5 mins of torture they got the message and the stereo was switched off.

On 10/01/2018 at 12:43, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Personally, I can’t think of a reason why I would want to play amplified at home. I’ve been using a Phil Jones Bass Buddy for some time and it keeps everyone happy.

As mentioned previously, good neighbours are worth keeping and I’d be inclined to play the good guy. 

i play my bass quieter than i play my hifi usually,neither that often.Not sure if she is a good neighbour either,how much do you do in her requests to keep an average moaning noisy neighbour happy ?

I think a big part of the problem isn't noise per se but the lack of apparent sense/logic of the noise; listening to a solo musician practice is like listening to someone on a mobile phone on a train, i.e., bloody annoying, especially if like me they play the same phrase over and over and over again (I spent two hours one day quietly playing the first four bars of the verse of Rhythm Stick, and my other half almost left me). So yes, headphones all the way, especially as they tend to be far less flattering than most practice amps and allow you to be a little more critical of tone, technique and timing.

But more importantly and as many have said, most neighbours are OK if a little annoying at times, but most can be turned into the neighbours from hell if you choose to make a big problem of a small issue and quite literally s**t on your own doorstep

21 hours ago, GuyR said:

If the neighbour finds the bass intrusive, use headphones and a zoom bfx or similar. It's no big deal for you, but it might be a big deal for her.

I had a noisy neighbour, playing the ghastly "frozen" soundtrack repeatedly. It was torture. Her dog barked all night while she went clubbing. She ignored my repeated polite requests to moderate her behaviour. I did not retaliate with escalating noise wars, but let''s just say she no longer lives there....

your bass playing might sound fantastic to you, (or me!!) but it might be the equivalent of "frozen" to her.

in my opinion, continuing to play amplified when a neighbour has asked you not to is inconsiderate and provocative.

I smiled reading that...

I imagine you with a nice back garden where one night a new flowerbed appeared.

Don't tell me the truth. Let me believe. :D

7 hours ago, ped said:

I much prefer using headphones for practice. I can't concentrate when I think I might be annoying someone. Using headphones I can get the perfect sound, benefit from full stereo effects like reverb, and using a 'Baseboard' I get the feel of sitting in front of a huge rig. 

is that the same as a "Pleasure Board" but you feel oddly ashamed and dirty calling it by its name... or is that a different product? :D

26 minutes ago, mcnach said:

is that the same as a "Pleasure Board" but you feel oddly ashamed and dirty calling it by its name... or is that a different product? :D

Yeah that’s right - mines a ‘pleasure board’ but since TecAmp became Eich they’ve renamed it to ‘bassboard’ which is just no fun. It’s like they put the name through our profanity filter!

7 minutes ago, ped said:

Yeah that’s right - mines a ‘pleasure board’ but since TecAmp became Eich they’ve renamed it to ‘bassboard’ which is just no fun. It’s like they put the name through our profanity filter!

But surely in that case it would be a 'stinky wobble pasty', or something? ^_^

Edited by discreet

3 hours ago, mcnach said:

I smiled reading that...

I imagine you with a nice back garden where one night a new flowerbed appeared.

Don't tell me the truth. Let me believe. :D

I said she no longer lives there, not she no longer lives. Mind you, my geraniums were particularly good last year.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, discreet said:

You really must, it's a masterpiece of comedy. :)

I've just promoted it to the pile of "to read next" books, right after I finish "What does this button do?" (sorry, I'm a big fan of Bruce Dickinson, even if the book is boring me... I had to read it)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ped said:

I much prefer the new name, to be honest... "Pleasure board" just sounds like... another kind of internet forum :P

On 10 January 2018 at 12:43, hiram.k.hackenbacker said:

Personally, I can’t think of a reason why I would want to play amplified at home. 

This - bass even at very low volumes travels - I always practice acoustically - it has its advantages but if you can't get on with this, use headphones.

Playing bass in a house is likely to be anti social to neighbour's and definitely to other occupants...

Edited by drTStingray