Why become a member? ×

PRS SE Kingfisher, anyone tried one?

Chienmortbb

I tried a PRS SE Kingfisher yesterday and although I cannot afford it at the moment, fell in love with it. However I had not even known  PRS made basses. Anyone else tried them?  

This is the exact bass https://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/prs-se-kingfisher-bass-guitar-scarlet-red-with-gigbag-pre-owned.html Damn just seen their finance deal!

Spoiler

Edited by Chienmortbb

Yep, tried that at the PRS distributor in the UK and they were ..... meh. Both the Kingfisher and the other model (forgot the name) had really bad wiring, just plain noisy no matter what. Could have just been those two basses but given that there were plenty on hand to try, this was a bit disappointing. Apologies for the negative review. I did want to like them but alas. They did play nice though.

Edited by Gareth Hughes

48 minutes ago, Gareth Hughes said:

Yep, tried that at the PRS distributor in the UK and they were ..... meh. Both the Kingfisher and the other model (forgot the name) had really bad wiring, just plain noisy no matter what. Could have just been those two basses but given that there were plenty on hand to try, this was a bit disappointing. Apologies for the negative review. I did want to like them but alas. They did play though.

Kestrel bass, I think. At the time I was working in a music store and we tried to join the hype that they whipped up just before the release by ordering models for the store. Got told they were coming for months and then never turned up so we cancelled the order. In between, a few models got out and experienced similar wiring issues and poor reviews. Seems like an after-thought from PRS really, which is such a shame because the guitars were always great!

Edited by skej21
Spelling!

If I was a guitarist I'd probably get a PRS. I think they make some lovely looking, lovely sounding guitars. Hence I was full of excited anticipation when the Kestrel and Kingfisher basses were announced...suffice to say I was sorely disappointed when I saw what they'd come up with. I wouldn't even want to know what they sound like. For a PRS instrument they are as dull as dull can be.

I've played a couple of Kestrals and they both played beautifully and sounded great  ... I'm normally a fender jazz man and was initially uncertain about the through neck and body shape but after trying them i have no reservations now .. the necks were very easy and fast to pkay and access to the upper register eas better than a classic jazz type neck, i think they would make great fusion bass's.

The usual weak points on the Korean-made SE series instruments are the pickups, electronics and tuners. 

I worry that the distance between the single coil pickups on the Kestrel will screw up the "Jazz Bass" sounds. Thus, my choice would be the Kingfisher. It 3.5 x 1.5 inch pickups would be ripe for upgrading. 

1 hour ago, Funkfingers said:

The usual weak points on the Korean-made SE series instruments are the pickups, electronics and tuners. 

I worry that the distance between the single coil pickups on the Kestrel will screw up the "Jazz Bass" sounds. Thus, my choice would be the Kingfisher. It 3.5 x 1.5 inch pickups would be ripe for upgrading. 

On my PRS SE guitar, I actually really like the pickups. I went back and forth between the stock and a Seymour Duncan and really liked both but ended up preferring the stock ever so slightly. They were different types of pickup (hot ceramic vs vintage alnico) so it wasn't apples for apples but I think it still looks good for the stock pickup.

The electronics went bad quickly so I agree there. Stock tuners were replaced right away so can't comment there.

Out of interest, what pickup size is that on the Kingfisher; MM, soapbar, other?

I haven't played the Kestrel or Kingfisher but I used to own a PRS EB which, from what I've seen, I think those two are quite influenced by. You see a lot of comments by the uninformed suggesting PRS do not know how to make a great bass and, being quite blunt, it's utter shite. The PRS was one of the best thought out and most comfortable basses I've ever played. Their SE stuff tends to be excellent for the money so I'd have great confidence in them being rather good indeed.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

I have the Kingfisher SE - I've had it since feb 2017.

It's an incredibly well-built and to my eyes, beautiful-looking instrument.

Some have mentioned concerns about the quality of the tuners - I have no complaints - they're Hipshot HB6, the bridge is a Hipshot TransTone. The pickups are treble & bass humbuckers.

My only niggle is that the output is quite low. I queried this with PRS:

The Kingfisher bass has very low output pickups so it doesn’t sound like they are faulty. Despite looking like humbuckers one of the coils is a dummy coil and only there for noise reduction, consequently they have the output of a single coil. In the development stage it was found that they sounded much better as single coils.

I use it with EHX Mole boost pedal, and no worries.

I'll post a pic when I get a chance.

If anyone is interested, I can bring it to the Midlands Bass Bash.

_20170107_181018_1538483704907.png

_20180119_114747.JPG

Edited by Teebs
Peectures
  • Like 1

I only know of two famous PRS bass endorsers - Gary Grainger, who played with John Schofield and Etienne Mbappe who played with John McLaughlin. I don't see famous bassists lining-up to play them in the same way they do for the guitars... There was a time back in the naughties where everyone had one! Even my Nan and she doesn't play guitar. **Edit - I may have mis-remembered that last bit**

Edited by visog
  • Haha 1

I've got a Kestrel, probably the best made bass I've ever owned, perhaps with the exception of an Ibanez Prestige. It's basically a neck-through Jazz, with a similar look to the S2 guitars. The pickups sound alright, but it is noisy. I plan to replace the pickups and wiring eventually. Everything else about the bass is perfect. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...