Why become a member? ×

Conversation with Marcus Miller.

bubinga5

I've never really listened to much of Marcus Miller as he explained in the clip all you ever see on Youtube is his slap solos but not the other 2 hrs where he's holding the band down. 

His explanations of how Steve Gadd sat and listened to the demo instead of playing along with it says so much. I don't think i've ever been to a rehearsal and listened to a song being played and someone hasn't jumped in and played along and you then don't hear the part you're trying to learn. 

Doesn't look his age either at 58/59. Obviously keeps himself fit.

Thoroughly enjoyed that and think i'll look into his music a little more.

Cheers for posting

Dave 

55 minutes ago, dmccombe7 said:

I've never really listened to much of Marcus Miller as he explained in the clip all you ever see on Youtube is his slap solos but not the other 2 hrs where he's holding the band down. 

His explanations of how Steve Gadd sat and listened to the demo instead of playing along with it says so much. I don't think i've ever been to a rehearsal and listened to a song being played and someone hasn't jumped in and played along and you then don't hear the part you're trying to learn. 

Cheers for posting

Dave 

It’s not just his music. His work/studio engagements with other artists before leading his own band, is quite remarkable.

If you have a day to spare, check out his credits...:D

http://www.marcusmiller.com/music/discography/

• Like 1

One of the things that impressed me was when he was describing his role in the band as the go between for the drummer and the band. He describes things that i've experienced where a good bassist can slowly bring back a speeding drummer and how he talks about his playing during someone's solo where he can play something that will change the feel of the solo. (Can't remember his exact quote in the vid but words to that effect)

I just got the feeling that he could teach us all a helluva lot about playing bass and not just about the notes but where we fit in or integrate with a band.

I was fair impressed with his whole attitude and how easy he is to listen to.

Dave

Edited by dmccombe7

7 hours ago, dmccombe7 said:

Cheers for posting

Dave 

Many people make the same mistake re. What he is known for. His fingerstyle playing, especially fretless, is where the real magic happens for me.

• Like 1

Little bit of fretless here , but his Producer talent impressed me also :-

Producers say that the main part of their job is about relaxing everyone to give their best whilst steering them to give what he wants as quickly as possible .

Here on live TV he treads lightly with the boxer , stops the audience , and delivers what the show wants , all with slick quick smiles .

That is Producah Skillz right there . Amazing .

Sustain on that bass  ?   Now read the naysayers in the sustain thread   :)

Great bass tone. Wonder which bass that is...  i recognise that Butterfly on the headstock and cant remember the damn builder

Edited by fleabag

On 10/01/2018 at 17:36, dyerseve said:

Many people make the same mistake re. What he is known for. His fingerstyle playing, especially fretless, is where the real magic happens for me.

I've always preferred his fretless playing to his fretted playing. He's a very talented fretless player but the bombast of his slapping is seen as his party trick. 

9 hours ago, McBass said:

Marcus absolutely kills it with his solo on this, he must have been about 19 years old when he recorded it.

I have that album (Future Talk), some great playing all round on it.

Yes, Marcus really on top of it. That period (end of the 70’s) he seemed to be doing a lot of Fretless playing,

(Dave Grusin, Lenny White etc...).

3 hours ago, lowdown said:

I have that album (Future Talk), some great playing all round on it.

Yes, Marcus really on top of it. That period (end of the 70’s) he seemed to be doing a lot of Fretless playing,

(Dave Grusin, Lenny White etc...).

I like his slap sound on it too. :D

1 minute ago, lowdown said:

That goes without saying. But in the interest of keeping the thread going, it's best not to mention his pink torpedo sound.

:biggrin:

Hehe, his sound has less of that mid scoop....which is why i probably like it.

That was nice. Enjoyed that and his tone is what impresses me so much. I would never have guessed that was Marcus.

Every days a school day and up until recently on BC i just assumed he was the "slap" guy. Very obviously not listening to that.

Think i prefer his sound to Jaco's. has more definition and clarity.

Dave