Why become a member? ×

Sustain? Discuss.

Frank Blank

48 minutes ago, Al Krow said:

I'm impressed that you guys are managing to sustain meaningful discussion on this thread; although it does seem to be a little long and drawn out; certainly compared to the usual punchy notes I've come to expect.

They’ve held it steady in this thread for some time now. 

7 hours ago, Frank Blank said:

She Sells Sanctuary - great song btw, well, not great, good.

I realise it is the length of time a note sounds for, what I'm trying to ascertain is (which is not adequately, or possibly at all) addressed in my initial post is why sustain appears to be one of the characteristics sought after by bass players when selecting a bass?

Do you mean sustain or MORE sustain though? There is a point beyond which extra sustain would be pointless for most (all?) but you need a degree of sustain of the notes in a lot of situations.

(and sanctuary is a GREAT song btw ;-) not good, great)

1 hour ago, Dad3353 said:

You bash the strings so hard the bridge moves..? :shok: Remind me not to lend you my bass..! :|

In all honesty I hope that I don`t, but the grooves are a good little precaution, just in case I get carried away.

1 hour ago, discreet said:

Punk band, innit? Real deal!

And that`s it, punk has got to be played hard.

99% of the gigs 99% of basschatters are playing require a second or two of sustain maximum, so yeh, after that it becomes pointless for most

...but then anything but a 4 string fender bass through a bog standard amp is pointless for most. We still manage plenty of discussion though! 

Personally I like my music a bit weirder than the average pop/rock/RnB song so I've got a huge collection of pedals, several 6 string basses, and no amp. It'd be boring if we were all the same :)

42 minutes ago, T-Bay said:

(and sanctuary is a GREAT song btw ;-) not good, great)

As I tend to bifurcate people into two groups over almost any topic or action, I.e. those who don’t look where they are going and those who get out of their way, people who enjoy football and those who don’t, glass half full/empty people etc. There are also two groups with no Venn crossover, those who like The Cult and those who like Killing Joke, I’m afraid I’m in the latter group,so I can, grudgingly, only go as far as ‘good’ when it comes to SSS.

13 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

As I tend to bifurcate people into two groups over almost any topic or action, I.e. those who don’t look where they are going and those who get out of their way, people who enjoy football and those who don’t, glass half full/empty people etc. There are also two groups with no Venn crossover, those who like The Cult and those who like Killing Joke, I’m afraid I’m in the latter group,so I can, grudgingly, only go as far as ‘good’ when it comes to SSS.

I like both (and you know you LOVE sanctuary :-) )

19 minutes ago, Frank Blank said:

And then there's the other group. of people who have no idea what these things are and to doesn't actually bother them. I assume 'Venn crossover' is a band, or is it two bands?

I've just been reading through the responses on here.

Have I got this right:-

1) Some people have basses which need modification to get sustain.

2) Some people smack their basses so hard the strings come off the bridges 

3) 99% of people bash away on rudimentary basses and amps where sustain is not required.

All I can think is gor blimey. But seriously, have we finally found a differentiator here between the designs which were got right in the long and distant past (but need modification to make them sustain so weren't that good after all) and the more recent makes and more recent iterations of 'vintage' designs which amongst other things, correct this flaw. 

Good grief - you learn something every day 😂 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

...I assume 'Venn crossover' is a band, or is it two bands?

No, we use a Venn crossover depending on the frequency of postings on the subject of sustain. It filters the 'Hi..!' part to the Drunk thread and the 'Low' part to the Depression topic. :|

Edited by Dad3353

28 minutes ago, fleabag said:

If only i knew what hemi demi semi quavers were  O.o

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sixty-fourth_note

To get a half convincing sustained note just from "the fingers" on a dead bass you'd need to be fast and consistent at these,  I'd struggle beyond 8ths or 16ths at a push for a short duration.