Why become a member? ×

Hohner Sabre Copy?

Budgety Korean thing, late 80s/early90s maybe - not that common but I have seen them before.

Something horrific's happened to the truss adjuster on this - can't quite make out what's going on but it makes me slightly queasy to look at it.

10 hours ago, Bassassin said:

Budgety Korean thing, late 80s/early90s maybe - not that common but I have seen them before.

Something horrific's happened to the truss adjuster on this - can't quite make out what's going on but it makes me slightly queasy to look at it.

Ah, I thought it was a “bullet” style.

the break angle on the G looks crazy too.

I find it hard to believe that Hohner ( whether cheap or not ) put out a bass from the factory with that awful G string angle.  Something's not right there

That headstock screams 4 in-inline like any P bass copies, though there doesnt seem to be any holes left after a machine head move

Here's a photo of  what looks like the proper  location of the machine heads on a Hohner Arbor MX1

I6GTIDI.jpg

Edited by fleabag

1 hour ago, fleabag said:

I find it hard to believe that Hohner ( whether cheap or not ) put out a bass from the factory with that awful G string angle.  Something's not right there

That headstock screams 4 in-inline like any P bass copies, though there doesnt seem to be any holes left after a machine head move

Here's a photo of  what looks like the proper  location of the machine heads on a Hohner Arbor MX1

I6GTIDI.jpg

you're right. its bugging me too. looking closely at the headstock from front on it looks like it has been transplanted from another bass. none of the tuning pegs are properly in line(look at them compared to the protruding truss rod). Either its a transplanted head from another bass and the decals transferred, or the neck was broken, made shorter, then the headstock glued back on resulting in the protruding truss rod. either way, I wouldnt touch this.

also, all the Hohner Arbor MX1s I can see are P pup at the neck and no fron electronics cavity cover. this probably explains the odd looking MM style pickguard too.

2 hours ago, warwickhunt said:

I had one back when they were first released!  :)  5a551b74beaf2_AvalancheTheRoyalOakAshingtoncrop.jpg.aa7ee0c8fc1365e3c347972a461fefc7.jpg

I apologise for asking - but someone's got to:

Is this photo a record of the unfortunate consequences that arise when fashionable-at-the-time white trousers coincide with stage-fright?  :ph34r:

3 hours ago, AndyTravis said:

Seems you can get a greeting card for this model too 😳

B04DFA8D-8800-4596-ABD5-0BC89F519567.png

2F32B2BE-D14A-4FBE-9298-095F4FAB63FD.png

how did you find out it was this model? I looked through loads of images of the model shown in the original ebay listing with no joy...

Just now, dyerseve said:

how did you find out it was this model? I looked through loads of images of the model shown in the original ebay listing with no joy...

I have Hohner bass saved as a search on eBay, im currently bids deep on a jack bass (although I did bid drunk I’m glad I did) and this comes up as an alert every time.

£6 for a greetings card, or you can buy the bass on the card for £35 😂

59 minutes ago, dyerseve said:

but which model is it? googling "Hohner B425" shows bugger all results...

Yup, tried that meself and got zilch.  Googling Arbor MX1 brings up only the P pickup model.

And nothing has explained that weird G string in the first post.  It also really looks like someone moved a tuner to the bottom of the headstock but left no remaining hole.   I dont get the whole bluddy scenario TBH

Edited by fleabag

11 hours ago, fleabag said:

Yup, tried that meself and got zilch.  Googling Arbor MX1 brings up only the P pickup model.

And nothing has explained that weird G string in the first post.  It also really looks like someone moved a tuner to the bottom of the headstock but left no remaining hole.   I dont get the whole bluddy scenario TBH

If you look at the pic on the greeting card it has a similar layout to the ebay one. the break angle to the G doesnt look quite as severe.

Can you see what I mean about the head looks transplanted? See the mess just after the nut and also the trussrod looks about 2" too long for the neck!

The for sale bass looks to me as if somebody had a problem with the truss rod, needed access to the adjuster nut and hacked away at the access hole resulting in the loss of some of the wood behind the nut (for the strings). I'm wondering if they had to replace the bullet adjuster nut for some reason but have used something unsuited to the instrument.