Why become a member? ×

string death

NickA

I bought a nice set of D'Addario NYXL strings for one of my basses (the Wal) a few months back; they are/were quite good.  Not super lively, but a nice tone and seem well made.  BUT, a couple of weeks ago, I noticed that the E-string was sounding really DEAD, all the twang had gone, the sustain wasn't there and it sounded kind of "Thuddy".  Not a sound you want from a Wal.  After worrying about the bass, tweaking the pickup heights, checking the relief and action ... I decided to swap it for one of the (near) identical strings I had on another bass.  Problem solved.   Now that same string fitted to the Warwick sounds a bit thuddy; so definitely the string not the bass.

What would kill a string?  I mean I've had round wounds (notably rotosounds) go slowly less zingggy over a period of months, but this one changed over night. Expensive strings too.

Anyone else experienced this ... particularly with D'Addario NYXLs?  If it's a one off then I might replace it, if a known issue then not.

I have been abusing a set of NYXL strings for a few months now, and considering they aren’t coated they have lasted better in terms of brightness and tone than any other uncoated string I have used.

I am not that knowledgable on string construction but it may be something with the core of the string? I would get in touch with D’Addario (there is a representative in here) they have always been super quick to reply and they seem to really care about their customers.

I'm not a big fan of the NYXLs, as a serial D'Addario user I tried a set out but now I'm back on my preferred set for fretted basses the EXL170BTs.  I am now hoping that these don't get discontinued.

I have a set of 5 string NYXL's on, first try, had them a couple of months, really like them and had no problems. Could your dull string have had a rotational twist on it, and that has finally separated the core? You may already do this, but check there are no twists before tightening new strings, and always have a right angled bend in the string before trimming the ends. Sorry if you already do this!

I had something similar with a 5 string set of Labella flats.  Put them on the bass brand new from the packet. Something felt wrong with the B string, Felt too tight when tuned, no sustain, just a dull thud when you plucked it.  I had only just bought the bass, so wasn't sure if there was something wrong with the way it handled heavy flats, as it had light gauge rounds on it when I got it.  Was able to noodle around quietly in my bedroom with it, it was just weird.

Two weeks later I took it to the next band rehearsal.  The B string was bugging me because it was dull when hit, but was muddling through, trying not to use it.  After about the 5th song, I pulled a note on the B string and heard a snap.  The string went really floppy, but it was still atached at both ends.  My first reaction was that the tuning peg must have slipped, so I turned it to tighten, but the string stayed floppy.  I later discovered the string core had snapped, as others have alluded to above.

I was able to talk to the supplier and they sent me a replacement B string out.  As I don't use that  bass so much any more, the same set of strings are still on it now, 10 years later!

Yup, I think MOSCOWBASS has a good point there.  I'm a bit slap handed winding on new strings and may have put a twist in.  No excuse on the Wal as there is no threading required, the ball end just drops into a slot in the bridge.  It's never happened before, but have buy a new one I guess.

PS HUGEHANDS, I've had that on 'cello strings, especially gut cored ones, the whole thing goes floppy and unravels! A major pain mid gig :¬(

On 1/9/2018 at 08:51, MOSCOWBASS said:

I have a set of 5 string NYXL's on, first try, had them a couple of months, really like them and had no problems. Could your dull string have had a rotational twist on it, and that has finally separated the core? You may already do this, but check there are no twists before tightening new strings, and always have a right angled bend in the string before trimming the ends. Sorry if you already do this!

So, at the risk of outing myself as a total idiot here...

I've been playing on and off for 15 years now and never heard of this before. What do you mean a rotational twist, and why should you bend the string before cutting?

On 13/01/2018 at 20:32, AnAnInginAneAnA said:

So, at the risk of outing myself as a total idiot here...

I've been playing on and off for 15 years now and never heard of this before. What do you mean a rotational twist, and why should you bend the string before cutting?

Bending the string before the cut point helps stop the core loosening from the windings. If while winding the string round the tuning peg, the ball end of the string isn't allowed to turn, the string can have a rotational twist down the string... Think of an elastic band winding to power a toy aeroplane. When the string is at tension this can cause core to loosen from the outer wind. String can sound dull, or in extreme break

Edited by MOSCOWBASS

Well I may have fixed it .. improved it anyway.  Took it off the Warwick, ran it back and forth between my fingers, then gave it a good boiling in a pot of soapy water on the stove (which is what I used to do with old rotosounds and elites that had got clogged and dull).  I didn't expect it to work, but it's definitely improved it.  I guess the heat let the string "relax" again.  Now fitted back on the Warwick and sounds fine ... though the dolphin is a bright sounding bass anyway.

NB,  I gave up cutting my strings to fit the bass as I then couldn't cascade from the Wal to the Jazz Bass; just poke the end down the hole in the tuner, one turn through the slot then round and round the tuner.  Shall take care with twisting the string in future though.