Why become a member? ×

Eric Clapton film - BBC 2 Saturday 6th June 2020

casapete

Know this won't be everyone's cup of tea, but the new Eric Clapton biopic 'Life in 12 bars' has a 'live' UK release

this coming Wednesday, 10th January, with various cinemas all over the UK showing the movie and a live Q&A

session afterwards. More details here -

https://www.planetrock.com/news/rock-news/eric-clapton-life-in-12-bars-live-uk-cinema-event-announced/

Edited by casapete
Update
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Mickeyboro said:

They usually edit these things down. 

As a fan of both I much preferred the Jeff Beck documentary. 

I really enjoyed the Jeff Beck doc too.

As a big EC fan, I found his film enjoyable although with massive gaps of importance/relevance. Maybe would have been better to have done it in two parts to make it more conclusive?

The Clapton film is listed as 2hrs and 5 mins on the BBC tonight, with IMDb having it down as 2 hrs 15m, so should be fairly complete I think. Will no doubt be on the BBC iplayer for a while after transmission too.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, casapete said:

I really enjoyed the Jeff Beck doc too.

As a big EC fan, I found his film enjoyable although with massive gaps of importance/relevance. Maybe would have been better to have done it in two parts to make it more conclusive?

The Clapton film is listed as 2hrs and 5 mins on the BBC tonight, with IMDb having it down as 2 hrs 15m, so should be fairly complete I think. Will no doubt be on the BBC iplayer for a while after transmission too.

I agree. Blind Faith barley gets a mention, how it started and fell apart, same with Delaney and Bonnie. To much time spend on his affair with Patti Boyd that could have been spent on the music and musicians.

• Like 2

He may have been indulging in some rumpy with Sheryl Crow too. My partner Sharon bought us tickets for my birthday to a Crow gig in London and no mention of Clapton, but he sneaked on stage for a couple of tracks

12 minutes ago, fleabag said:

He may have been indulging in some rumpy with Sheryl Crow too. My partner Sharon bought us tickets for my birthday to a Crow gig in London and no mention of Clapton, but he sneaked on stage for a couple of tracks

I thought he was dead.

I thoroughly enjoyed it. Whilst I knew bits of the story, I didn’t know a lot of the detail. It seemed to me to focus more on the man, his demons and the events that shaped his character rather than, as these things often are, a straight runs down of his discography with a few key milestones thrown in. As a result, I thought it gave me a new context and I’ve since spent a very pleasant weekend listening to old material with new ears.

• Like 2

I thought his persuance of Patti was a bit naughty - not only was she married but she was married to one of his best friends.

On a different note , his mum was a nasty piece of work IMO.

What i found weird was the fact that they didn't really focus on any of his solo albums much at all.  Especially his brilliant 461 Ocean Boulevard effort, which is full of angst ( understandably ). There was not even a mention of it

Edited by fleabag
  • Like 1

He came across as a complete cockwomble.... which he probably was due to the demons he was fighting. Glad to see he seems to be in a lot better place now, though such a shame it took the death of his young Son to set him on the right path..... :(

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fleabag said:

I thought his persuance of Patti was a bit naughty - not only was she married but she was married to one of his best friends.

On a different note , his mum was a nasty piece of work IMO.

What i found weird was the fact that they didn't really focus on any of his solo albums much at all.  Especially his brilliant 461 Ocean Boulevard effort, which is full of angst ( understandably ). There was not even a mention of it

Very naughty - although I doubt anyone would bat an eyelid much these days. That said, I could sort of understand his obsession with Patti and given that George also wasn’t as pure as the driven snow, I’m not sure that anyone really comes out of that whole episode covered in glory. 

I was also a bit surprised by the lack of coverage of the solo stuff but I guess they had a limited amount of time and a lot of material to fit in and something had to give.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2018 at 11:47, jezzaboy said:

I agree. Blind Faith barley gets a mention, how it started and fell apart, same with Delaney and Bonnie. To much time spend on his affair with Patti Boyd that could have been spent on the music and musicians.

Haven't seen this one but it's a common complaint from me when watching music documentaries.

The Killing Joke one ("The Death & Resurrection Show") skips through whole periods that were important, or at least very interesting times for the band with barely a reference to what they were up to (pretty sure they didn't even mention the Courtauld Talks, I'd have loved to hear them try to explain that one) and in a similar vein, the documentary on Youth (er ..."Youth") which is supposed to be about his career as a producer tells you very little about the work he's done.  

From that point of view I have to say that the Oasis one ("Supersonic") does a brilliant job.  Even if you hate them, it's a great watch.

They did rather gloss over the solo stuff, especially after having laboured over everything that came before (461 is my favourite piece of EC output). I knew most of his story, especially the years up to and including his heroine addiction, but the loutish, drunken, on stage behaviour was an eye opener. As a lad I was a huge fan, nobody else came close for me. Then I got to see him live at the Crystal Palace Bowl and he was decidedly average (he was totally out played by just about everyone else that day, with Larry Coryell ruling the roost). I stuck by EC for quite a while after, but lost interest in listening to that style of playing. EC has certainly had tragedy in his life (the Conor incident I wouldn’t wish on anyone - just too horrible) but he does come off as a bit of a whinger, which is especially evident if you’ve read his autobiography. Maybe he just likes to use various mediums as his catharsis and has the position to be able do so and if it works for him, I guess that’s ultimately ok.

I thought it was a fairly good film, and followed his book quite well. The main theme through both to me was it just took him years and some pretty rotten life experiences to be comfortable being himself. That`s just the way it is with some people, just not comfortable in their own skin, and sometimes have no idea why.

13 hours ago, Monkey Steve said:

From that point of view I have to say that the Oasis one ("Supersonic") does a brilliant job.  Even if you hate them, it's a great watch.

It is, but it only has three years to cover in two hours. EC's done poos that took longer then three years.

• Haha 2