Why become a member? ×

Need a new partner for my B3K

LegateNaarifin

For a while now I've had a Boss LS-2 line selector, and it's always been center of my sound as a way of running two different overdrive/distortion pedals in parallel. Over the last couple of years I've sifted through various drive, distortion and fuzz pedals, and I've settled on the Darkglass B3K for fairly aggressive but still natural overdrive. But I can't seem to find a partner for it! :scratch_one-s_head:Specifically I'm looking for a very aggressive, mid-focused sounding distortion, to compliment the slightly scooped nature of the Darkglass. I was using a Chowny Fuzzster, but have since decided I'm not using/feeling fuzz for the music I'm writing.

My first instinct is to get a Rat (I love Justin Chancellor's tone with his Turbo Rat), but that opens up a whole plethora of options. Vintage, Turbo, Fuzzrocious, there are so many Rat variants and clones that I wouldn't know where to start! Low end loss isn't a huge priority, as I have the LS-2 to blend in either a clean signal, or the nice fat sound of the B3K. But a nice mid-present sound is a must.

So what I'm asking is, what do people recommend for that sort of distortion pedal?

Edited by LegateNaarifin

I think you're right to look at RAT based pedals (e.g. MXR Bass Distortion, designed by Fuzzrocious and similar to their pedals), but also look at OCD variants like the COG Mini 66 and EHX Glove... In fact many of the newer EHX overdrives could worth a look -  the Batallion, Operation Overlord and Hot Wax are all reasonably priced, bass friendly, have blend and EQ, and should be easily available to try out in a local shop!

@gs_triumph The Rodenberg looks excellent, but is a little above my (student!) budget at the moment

@dannybuoy Oohh, I'd forgotten that the MXR bass distortion had Fuzzrocious heritage, that's another one to check out. Along with all those EHX pedals! The Quest for the Drive is never ending, it seems :dash1:

Suppose I was to insist on a Rat type pedal (not that I am, just curious) would a straight up Turbo be my best bet? Are there any specific types/reissues to keep an eye out for? Or would the Cat Tail be more than enough?

Update: Through some digging around, I've stumbled upon the Source Audio Aftershock. This pedal looks like it can do everything!! And as I'm sure it can pull off a nice aggressive distortion sound, along with a host of other tones, I'm seriously tempted to buy one :biggrin: What are people's experiences with it?

The perfect partner for the b3k is........... 

OCD!!! (or clones such as joyo ultimate drive, ehx od glove, cog effects 66, fuzzrocious demon, i might stop there but u can easily scour the forums to find them all) 

Anyway, put it before the b3k on low gain and let the magic happen.