Why become a member? ×

Lana Del Ray vs. Radiohead lawsuit

leftybassman392

3 minutes ago, Mcgiver69 said:

Tell me bloody about it, I got some funny stories of my travels to Venezuela, Mexico and Puerto Rico with some normally innocent words that mean something sexual in those countries :P

it's ALWAYS something sexual, isn't it??? :D

2 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Well... interesting that you say that, because... :D in South America they have sometimes preserved a lot of words and phrases that in Spain we have either lost or "corrupted" into something else... so sometimes you could argue that there's a lot of "proper Spanish" on the other side of the Atlantic.

As I said... it's a jungle. ;)

Actually Peruvians & Colombian have the closest to what is considered classic spanish, the same can't be said about my natal dominican republic. SMH

• Thanks 1

Just now, mcnach said:

what??? but... how???? :D !!!

That's not the words, it happened to me in Venezuela where a friend invited me to dinner with his family and at the table I asked his youngest sister if I could have a spoon and suddenly a deafening silence and after receiving what seem like an eternity of stares I asked if I said something wrong...

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mcgiver69 said:

That's not the words, it happened to me in Venezuela where a friend invited me to dinner with his family and at the table I asked his youngest sister if I could have a spoon and suddenly a deafening silence and after receiving what seem like an eternity of stares I asked if I said something wrong...

lesson learnt... in Venezuela, use a fork for soup if you must... :P

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Mcgiver69 said:

Would that have been before or after you showed her your teddy bear's cotton wool balls?

22 minutes ago, ambient said:

As I said in my post above...

The track in question has not been officially released as a single. As a download it scraped into the lower reaches of the US top 50 last year (I don't know what that actually means in terms of actual sales).

In the days before streaming and downloading on the internet, in the UK, something like this might possibly have generated a short news item on Radio One, and a couple of column inches in the weekly music press, and that would have been it. The publicity would have generated little additional airplay or record sales. However, I suspect that almost everyone taking part in this thread has had a listen to the Lana del Rey song in question on Spotify, and we're by far not the only ones who will have checked it out from curiosity. Spotify might not pay a lot for a single listen, but they all add up...

There are a finite number of combinations of chord and note progressions, time signatures, timbres etc etc and with the zillions of tunes that have been knocking around the planet over the centuries it's inevitable many of them will sound similar to eachother at least in part.  Unless there are clear cases of one act lifting a sample from another's song without permission I dunno why bands waste time and money pursuing copyright infringement cases.  In this case as Radiohead admitted to copying some of the Hollies tune they've got no case

43 minutes ago, Barking Spiders said:

In this case as Radiohead admitted to copying some of the Hollies tune they've got no case

Actually I rather think they have (should they decide to pursue it - not clear in the light of today's developments). Radiohead got round their problem by acknowledging the writers of 'Air That I Breathe' (who by the way were not members of the Hollies - since it was originally written by Albert Hammond and Mike Hazlewood and recorded by Hammond in 1972, the Hollies' 1974 version was technically a cover; in fact it wasn't even the first - Phil Everly recorded it in 1973) on the writing credits and agreeing 40% of the royalties for the song. I see no reason why a similar deal would not be done in this case. Establishing who gets what could get interesting, but even so...

Fact is that in the light of today's statement, it now appears that it is Del Ray (presumably with her publishing company backing her) who is making all the noise in this case. The cynics among us are now starting to ask why that is happening.

Thinking about it a bit further, Hammond and the Hazlewood estate might now see another copyright action in their future. I wonder if Ms. Del Ray might have been better advised to keep a lower profile...

Edited by leftybassman392
added information

I wonder if now might be a good time for this:

Albert Hammond 1972

Phil Everly 1973

The Hollies 1974

Radiohead 1994

K.D. Lang 1997

Lana Del Ray 2017

Not trying to make any sort of point here - I just thought it would be interesting to document some of the history of the chord sequence. FWIW if I could only have one of these it would probably be the Phil Everly version. Or possibly K.D. Lang.

Edited by leftybassman392

1 hour ago, Barking Spiders said:

There are a finite number of combinations of chord and note progressions, time signatures, timbres etc etc and with the zillions of tunes that have been knocking around the planet over the centuries it's inevitable many of them will sound similar to eachother at least in part.  

But even the vocal line is near identical to that in Creep... unlike the other 'versions'.

Edited by mcnach

2 hours ago, leftybassman392 said:

Thinking about it a bit further, Hammond and the Hazlewood estate might now see another copyright action in their future. I wonder if Ms. Del Ray might have been better advised to keep a lower profile...

I don't think so. The Hammond and Halewood claim is based on the middle 8 section of Creep, while the Lana del Rey song takes from the verses which AFAICS are original to Radiohead.

It's virtually the same song, in my opinion.  It's not just the chords, but also the vocal phrasing, the cadence and feel - not that I know if those are of any legal significance.  I did wonder how this could have gone out, given the numerous people involved in its production who would have been well aware of the issue.

Edited by linear