Why become a member? ×

Lana Del Ray vs. Radiohead lawsuit

leftybassman392

I love Radiohead, don’t get me wrong, but, isn’t it a case of pot, kettle and black?  I mean, Radiohead totally knicked Nirvana’s most famous riff for their song “Just”.

Edit: having just listened to Lana Del Ray’s song you can see Radiohead’s point. They are strikingly similar.

Edited by Brook_fan

I don't mind that from time to time bands write songs similar to something that has already been recorded. There are a limited amount of chords and not all progressions sound great. Sometimes there's something somebody heard a few years ago that was stuck in the subconscient and came out in a moment of composition completely unaware of the existance of the original song. Having said that Lana's song sounds like almost a copy of Creep in terms of feel and sound as the Hollies song on the other hand is a bit more appart from it.

33 minutes ago, Brook_fan said:

I love Radiohead, don’t get me wrong, but, isn’t it a case of pot, kettle and black?  I mean, Radiohead totally knicked Nirvana’s most famous riff for their song “Just”.

I love the legal term - 'totally knicked (sic)'.  Much easier to say down the pub than publisher's copyright infringement.

Heeheehee.

Don't mind me taking the wee wee.  I was once arrested for half-inching a metre rule.  The judge let me off on a technicality because he couldn't decide which was worse... half-inching property or twelve and a half millimetering it.

Edited by SpondonBassed
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Chris2112 said:

I don't know how anyone can listen to Lana Del Ray, she sounds as though she's about to fall asleep at the microphone. Just awful. 

She inspires me to lethargy.  Someone get her a strong coffee please because her voice would sound so good if she didn't sound so slack.

I listened to an interview with Thom Yorke a few years ago where he stated along the lines of the band not owning their own material, especially their earlier stuff !! - I suspect it has nothing to do with the band.

By the way, I can’t think which Nirvana song is supposed to sound like ‘Just’ - 

Slaterz

23 minutes ago, jassthebass said:

I listened to an interview with Thom Yorke a few years ago where he stated along the lines of the band not owning their own material, especially their earlier stuff !! - I suspect it has nothing to do with the band.

Normally when artists say this it means that they don't own the recordings. Most of the time record companies will retain the mechanical copyright - certainly for any band that is successful and still selling albums. They will only release the rights to the recordings when it no longer profitable for them to continue to own them. 

Ownership of the song/music itself and publishing is completely different and this is what is in dispute. Unless the songwriters in Radiohead signed a very poor publishing deal initially they should still own at least 50% of the rights to the song between all the named songwriters. However anyone with a financial interest in the the actual song could be the one instigating this action.

• Like 1

Lana Del Ray is just awful, I don't understand how that rubbish exists. Not a legal viewpoint.

The melody of the song, the inflection in the vocals, the misery, it's a "tribute" to Creep undoubtedly. 

I would rather Radiohead issued a complete cease and desist against her career.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 08/01/2018 at 12:39, stingrayPete1977 said:

I just clicked the link, that Lana Del Rey song is just awful. 

Her name translates as 'the king's wool', just as a fun side note.

Actually is meant to be a "money from the king", yours is a literal translation which really doesn't make any sense.

20 minutes ago, Mcgiver69 said:

Actually is meant to be a "money from the king", yours is a literal translation which really doesn't make any sense.

I speak spanish, mcnach who commented on my post "show off" is spanish, lana herself made the name up because it 'sounded exotic' so you'll need a reference of how you've come to your conclusion please? The literal translation makes perfect sense to anyone that speaks or at least reads spanish, lana del rey. Wool of the king, wool that belongs to the king. "The King's wool"

Edited by stingrayPete1977

5 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I speak spanish, mcnach who commented on my post "show off" is spanish, lana herself made the name up because it 'sounded exotic' so you'll need a reference of how you've come to your conclusion please? The literal translation makes perfect sense to anyone that speaks or at least reads spanish, lana del rey. Wool of the king, wool that belongs to the king. 

Dude I don't know you but I was actually born and bred in a spanish speaking country so don't take it from me. In latin america which is her closest spanish speaking area lana is slang for money. So for Mcnach being spanish lana would just mean wool.

Edited by Mcgiver69
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

I speak spanish, mcnach who commented on my post "show off" is spanish, lana herself made the name up because it 'sounded exotic' so you'll need a reference of how you've come to your conclusion please? The literal translation makes perfect sense to anyone that speaks or at least reads spanish, lana del rey. Wool of the king, wool that belongs to the king. 

there may be something there, I think in Mexico (and possibly some countries in South America) lana can be slang for money. We don't use that meaning in Spain, but I've certainly heard people say (in a movie) "uf, mucha lana" when they thought something was too pricey.

There are a lot of differences in the Spanish spoken in different countries... sometimes with hilarious or embarrasing results. While in Spain you would "coger el autobus" (take the bus), in Argentina that would imply you want to have sexual intercourse with the bus. In Spain coger and agarrar mean pretty much the same: take, grab... so an Argentinian would say "agarrar el autobus".

It's a jungle out there...

6 minutes ago, mcnach said:

there may be something there, I think in Mexico (and possibly some countries in South America) lana can be slang for money. We don't use that meaning in Spain, but I've certainly heard people say (in a movie) "uf, mucha lana" when they thought something was too pricey.

There are a lot of differences in the Spanish spoken in different countries... sometimes with hilarious or embarrasing results. While in Spain you would "coger el autobus" (take the bus), in Argentina that would imply you want to have sexual intercourse with the bus. In Spain coger and agarrar mean pretty much the same: take, grab... so an Argentinian would say "agarrar el autobus".

We speak 'proper' spanish Jose :drinks:

4 minutes ago, mcnach said:

Tell me bloody about it, I got some funny stories of my travels to Venezuela, Mexico and Puerto Rico with some normally innocent words that mean something sexual in those countries :P

Edited by Mcgiver69

Maybe lana as slang for money is derived from something to do with wool in exchange for money from the palace or something? 

She just stuck lana and del rey together to make a name rather than it being a saying so it still means king's wool to me, king's money to mexicans.

Edited by stingrayPete1977

1 minute ago, stingrayPete1977 said:

We speak 'proper' spanish Jose :drinks:

Well... interesting that you say that, because... :D in South America they have sometimes preserved a lot of words and phrases that in Spain we have either lost or "corrupted" into something else... so sometimes you could argue that there's a lot of "proper Spanish" on the other side of the Atlantic.

As I said... it's a jungle. ;)