Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Bash - nr. Bicester, Oxon - Saturday 14 April 2018

Malvis

Thanks for a lovely day folks, the bash really couldn't have been more enjoyable.  

I'm not sure about the mystical powers Roger, I just happened upon a great venue.  The great atmosphere was all thanks to the excellent company - and of course all the gorgeous basses, amps and other gadgetry, especially Roger's Kolstein :heart::crazy:.  The GAS is strong with that one...

Thanks as well to Nick and Roger for showing me the potential of the laminate bass I have on loan.  Having thought it would be traveling home to Kent, I made its owner the offer you suggested Roger.  And so we have a deal, and I have a new bass!

Fantastic photo Silvia - thanks for all your hard work as basschat archivist!  Looking forward to seeing more...

• Like 1

That bass is quite something. For a laminate it’s got a great voice and Nick A said he’d never come across a lam that bows so well. A little bit of work, initially fingerboard reshoot and a decent endpin, and later new bridge and strings will turn this duckling into a swan. Truly a great bass in prospect.

Yes INDEED, thank you folks for a great day out.  Such a lovely day we could have held it outside!  But the Baronial Barn and roaring log tree fire were fun and the barn had a great acoustic too.

Enjoyed playing other people's basses, finding out what these much praised Silver Slaps and Spirocore Weichs actually play like .. and a go on Owen's Steinburg EUB too (lovely thing, well made and nice to play, even if not a real DB).

And yes, a very nice sounding laminate bass .. my prejudices challenged yet again.  Good to hear other people playing my old bass too - as someone said, "doesn't really need an amplifier". 

.. and no, the old SAAB did not make it home; alternator failure at M1 Jct 16, recovery to Derby on a truck.  Sadly now waiting for the scrap man to come; but at least I was with her when she died.  :¬(  :¬(

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for a great day and thank you bluejay for the photos.I saw this post as I was leaving for Heathrow to fly back to Canada...what a good way to end my trip.It will be good to get home and play my bass(rehearsal Sunday!) and try to learn to live with the GAS that I acquired at the bash.

• Like 1