Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Bash - nr. Bicester, Oxon - Saturday 14 April 2018

Malvis

I'll have my Zeller DB, Takamine TB10, and the Howlett Custom bass uke that Owen brought along last time.

Rig-wise, I'll bring a Trace Elf through a Crazy 8, plus a GB Shuttle through a Crazy 88 - so far as I know, the only Crazy 88 in the UK.

I’ll bring my Bryant DB, FDeckHPF filter, Puma 500 amp and Genzler 10-2 Array Cab. Plus possibly my Kolstein Travel Busetto if there’s any interest.

Ill try to get some jack-to-tailpiece clips if I’ve got any parts in stock.

Looking forward.

I was thinking 11am-5pm would allow plenty of time for us and our basses to get acquainted. 

I’ll chat to David, who’s giving us the run of his barn, and confirm during the week ahead. I’ll also post the address and info about parking. 

Bob suggested that anyone who’s thinking about buying or selling a bass should consider coming down, which seems like a great idea to me...

Fellas, feel free to bring all the acronyms you care to, but they may need some explaining :D

I've spoken to David, our host for the day, and he's looking forward to seeing us.  There's nothing essential to tell you about parking - it'll be obvious enough when you arrive.  The address is Waterloo Farm, Fringford OX27 8RH, and there's a screenshot of the entrance attached below so you'll know where you are...

I'll make sure there's the makings of tea and coffee and some biscuits.  I'm happy to sort out booze and food too, but it might be surplus to requirements.  If you think it's a particularly good idea, feel free to send me a DM and we'll take it from there. By all means keep the chat coming here as well - it'd be good to keep this thread simmering in case it coaxes anyone undecided into coming down for the day.

See y'all soon!

5ac3671dc0773_ScreenShot2018-04-03at12_23_03.thumb.png.8ba4daf556ca42badbd0bdb54489c013.png

Is anyone coming up from Brighton? If so, Toby Chennell who is building me this

has said that he would be willing to release it into the wild for a weekend for me to mess with it while it is unfinished. He is stressing that we are still prototyping it and it is a work in progress.

If there is no one then I will just have it couriered up to me.

Still planning to come along.  I'll bring my 1884 German DB, a Realist sound clamp and a PJB flightcase (for comparison with that AI Combo... which I so nearly bought instead).  Got a nice carbon bow to show off too. 

... just have to hope the wife's ancient and disreputable 18yr old SAAB can make the journey from Derby without something else falling off it :-)

Thanks for all your posts.  I've just caught up with your bass uke thread Owen, and it looks like we've got quite a treat in store.  I reckon that strange and beautiful instrument will be worth the trip alone.  Roger, I'd love to get acquainted with your Kolstein travel bass as well, if it's not too much hassle to bring it.

Are there any gut string aficionados thinking of making the trip?  A couple of months back I had a play for the first time on an old Kay strung with guts,  and it's been on my mind ever since.  Also, I'd love to see a Chadwick folding bass up close if anyone's willing and able...

Thanks for the offer of a butty run Pete.  The Butcher's Arms in Fringford does good honest pub grub, none of that gastric-pub nonsense, and the landlady Pat is a star.

Looking forward to meeting y'all next weekend!

• Like 1

Yesterday I went to The Double Bass Room in Kent to meet Ben and his lovely basses.  He gave me the loan of this one for a week or two, to see if we get along:

https://thedoublebassroom.com/product/hungarian-1965-3-4/#.Ws86aGaZPOQ

It's a bit hard to tell at the moment as it has manky old strings and a bridge and endpin that aren't fit for purpose, but I'll bring it along on Saturday and look forward to hearing what y'all reckon.  I meant to mention as well, I've also got an Ear Trumpet Labs 'Nadine' mic that you might be curious to try out.

On another note, thinking about local pubs and where you might get fed, this place is really nice...

http://www.themuddyduckpub.co.uk

1 hour ago, Brother Malvis said:

Yesterday I went to The Double Bass Room in Kent to meet Ben and his lovely basses.  He gave me the loan of this one for a week or two, to see if we get along:

https://thedoublebassroom.com/product/hungarian-1965-3-4/#.Ws86aGaZPOQ

It's a bit hard to tell at the moment as it has manky old strings and a bridge and endpin that aren't fit for purpose, but I'll bring it along on Saturday and look forward to hearing what y'all reckon.  I meant to mention as well, I've also got an Ear Trumpet Labs 'Nadine' mic that you might be curious to try out.

On another note, thinking about local pubs and where you might get fed, this place is really nice...

http://www.themuddyduckpub.co.uk

Now I wish that I could get there on Saturday... I really want to try one of those Ear Trumpet mics on my Kay..