Why become a member? ×

Double Bass Bash - nr. Bicester, Oxon - Saturday 14 April 2018

Malvis

The date is finally confirmed, and the venue too - a lovely old stone barn (with heating) at Waterloo Farm, Fringford, a couple of miles from Bicester.  There are a few photos attached below.

Whether you play double bass already or you're curious to learn, you'll be very welcome.  I'll be bringing along my 1920s Bohemian hatpeg and a KK baby bass, along with an Acoustic Image Coda S4 amp.

Feel free to chip in below with some ideas about what you might like to bring, or like to see others bring.  Personally, I'd love to try out a Chadwick folding bass and an Eminence.  Also any of the classic American basses (Kay, King, American Standard) and anything with gut strings.  But most of all I'd like to see a bunch of basschatters and get a chance to chew the fat with a few of you in person.

There'll be tea & coffee & cake & beer, and if you have any other preferences for victuals, just say...

IMG_2496.JPG

IMG_2498.JPG

IMG_2499.JPG

• Like 1

Assuming my travel plans work out I will be there to add an international presence to the affair.Looking forward to a good time and I am already looking to book accommodation in Bicester or vicinity, currently looking at B and B's in the area.Any suggestions?If things go as planned I will arrive in England on 12 April and head to Bicester area(train) and stay  until the 15th...and even though I am just one of those rough Canadian colonials I know that it is not "BYSESTER",but I had to look it up to be sure.

Looking forward to lovely spring and a good time at the bash.

Bob

I will be bringing a 5 string DB, Felix pre, an F Dedk pre and a Berg IP310 cab. Posibly a tiny DB uke depending on build schedule. I can bring an NS 5 EUB if anyone wants to try one. 

Will anyone there have a Berg B Amp? I would LOVE to try one.  

I’m interested in coming along - I play an Eminence so would bring that - never sure if it counts as an EUB as it does have a bit of an acoustic body . (I usually describe it as a DB that has been on a diet.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Breaking news!We have booked our flight to Heathrow and will arrive April 12 and head to Bicester by bus. We have booked a room at the Travelodge in Bicester and will use it to recover from jet lag so I will be in reasonable shape for the Double Bass Bash on the 14th.We won't have a car so I'm not sure how I will get to the venue,I guess a cab is possible unless anyone has other suggestions.I won't have an instrument, the EUB will be at home in Canada so there will just be one old guy to transport.Getting pretty pumped about this!

Bob

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-02-19 at 19:27, fleabag said:

Ah, just realised its acoustic DB's

I think any upright bass is welcome according to other posts in this thread,also anyone interested in uprights from what I can see.I won't be bringing a bass but I want to see and hear what other people have.

Bob in Canada,but I'll be at the bash in April...

• 2 weeks later...
On 2018-01-16 at 18:28, aud said:

I’m interested in coming along - I play an Eminence so would bring that - never sure if it counts as an EUB as it does have a bit of an acoustic body . (I usually describe it as a DB that has been on a diet.

That would be great,I would love to hear an Eminence in a live setting, it's hard to tell what they really sound like on videos.I want to hear how it compares to my Yamaha SLB200, which I will be leaving at home in Canada unfortunately.

Bob

Thanks for your contributions folks, and sorry I've been away from the conversation for a while.

At the current count it looks like somewhere around 8 or 10 of us will be at the bash, but there's room for plenty more.  If you haven't said already, let us know what kind of bass & paraphernalia you plan to bring (by DM if you like) and I'll compile a list and post it here, which I hope will whet people's appetites.

Look forward to seeing you in a month or so :D