Why become a member? ×

Strings - the difference that they make (and why is my taste expensive?)

mcnach

Gigged with the G&L last night having fitted the Thomastiks in the afternoon - despite not having quite enough relief in the neck at the moment so a bit of fret buzz if I dig in it played well and lots of people said it sounded great. Some of them have heard us/me multiple times and reckon my bass sounded better than usual :). I, however, was not totally happy with the sound, and have just spent a rewarding hour with my gig rig set up at home (my wife and daughter went out for the morning so I can make as much noise as I like!). We have a big- ish sitting room - about 25 feet - so I can sit a long way from my cab and listen. A bit of a pain to wander back and forth to adjust the eq but it was worth it. It eq's completely differently to my Precision with Monels (surprise surprise) to get a sound I like but it now sounds fantastic (to me). I think these strings are great and not too "floppy" for me - in fact I don't think they are "floppy" at all. They are not as stiff as the Monels on my precision and that's a Good Thing as far as I'm concerned.  Also I have found (along with some other people) that whilst I like the sound of the Monels overall, there is a definite difference in tone between the E and the other strings - the A,D and G have more zing and sound a bit brighter even after a lot of playing. And yes, they are fitted correctly ie not twisted so the centre cord can fracture. The Thomastiks  seem to be even in tone and volume across all the strings and have a very pleasant sound (to my ear).

As far as cost goes...£54.99 from Strings Direct, ordered Friday came through the door Saturday morning, free delivery. Can't ask for better service. Thoman would have been cheaper for the strings, but with the 10 euro delivery charge only about £1 in it and three to four day wait. Chatting with a guitarist friend (yes you can be friends with them) he reckon he changes his strings  on one or other of his guitars about every 6 -8 weeks if he plays a lot, at about £6 a set. I don't know if that's too often or about average or less than average but it's still £36 a year, whereas the Monels have been on he Precision for at least 8 years and I expect the same from the Thomastiks so it's not bad value really.

Once I've sorted out the neck relief and tweaked the intonation I'll gig with it for a while, and then maybe change the Monels on one of the Precisions for these as they are that bit softer and see what that's like.

Overall: A winner as far as I'm concerned (for what it's worth), YMMV.

Edited by phil.c60

15 hours ago, discreet said:

Had the same experience with Fat Beams, my favourite rounds. Forget about the Marcus association, it means nothing.

I've been using Sunbeams for years but standard Dunlop nickels come a very close second. Their Super Brights are good but just too floppy for me. 

18 hours ago, atsampson said:

Having found myself in need of some strings for a Mustang Bass this week, this got me curious enough to order a couple of 45-105 sets of the Status medium length tapewounds at £13.99 + VAT, which arrived the next day by first class post.

Measuring from the inside of the ball, each string has 28mm of bridge end silk, and it's 905mm to the nut end silk, with the total length of the string being 1195mm. So yes, you can happily fit these to a typical 34"-scale bass with a top-loaded bridge - I've tried them on my Jazz, and the silk on all four strings ends up about 5mm above the nut, which is just about right. They fit fine on the Mustang (30" scale, through-body) as well.

In terms of finish, they're very similar to the D'Addario ETB92 set I'd normally use. The only downside is that the G is a bit light for my taste - these are 45 65 85 105, where the D'Addarios are 50 65 85 105 - but it's hard to complain for the price!

Oh, nice. I'll give them a try. Thanks for the emasurements!

17 hours ago, discreet said:

Had the same experience with Fat Beams, my favourite rounds. Forget about the Marcus association, it means nothing.

Same here with Fat Beams. 

However, everytime I try a new set I get a little disappointed... until they wear out *just* a little bit, then I remember why I liked them so much. If I were an extravagant billionaire man, I'd have a guy wearing all my strings to perfection before I play them.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, phil.c60 said:

Gigged with the G&L last night having fitted the Thomastiks in the afternoon - despite not having quite enough relief in the neck at the moment so a bit of fret buzz if I dig in it played well and lots of people said it sounded great. Some of them have heard us/me multiple times and reckon my bass sounded better than usual :). I, however, was not totally happy with the sound, and have just spent a rewarding hour with my gig rig set up at home (my wife and daughter went out for the morning so I can make as much noise as I like!). We have a big- ish sitting room - about 25 feet - so I can sit a long way from my cab and listen. A bit of a pain to wander back and forth to adjust the eq but it was worth it. It eq's completely differently to my Precision with Monels (surprise surprise) to get a sound I like but it now sounds fantastic (to me). I think these strings are great and not too "floppy" for me - in fact I don't think they are "floppy" at all. They are not as stiff as the Monels on my precision and that's a Good Thing as far as I'm concerned.  Also I have found (along with some other people) that whilst I like the sound of the Monels overall, there is a definite difference in tone between the E and the other strings - the A,D and G have more zing and sound a bit brighter even after a lot of playing. And yes, they are fitted correctly ie not twisted so the centre cord can fracture. The Thomastiks  seem to be even in tone and volume across all the strings and have a very pleasant sound (to my ear).

As far as cost goes...£54.99 from Strings Direct, ordered Friday came through the door Saturday morning, free delivery. Can't ask for better service. Thoman would have been cheaper for the strings, but with the 10 euro delivery charge only about £1 in it and three to four day wait. Chatting with a guitarist friend (yes you can be friends with them) he reckon he changes his strings  on one or other of his guitars about every 6 -8 weeks if he plays a lot, at about £6 a set. I don't know if that's too often or about average or less than average but it's still £36 a year, whereas the Monels have been on he Precision for at least 8 years and I expect the same from the Thomastiks so it's not bad value really.

Once I've sorted out the neck relief and tweaked the intonation I'll gig with it for a while, and then maybe change the Monels on one of the Precisions for these as they are that bit softer and see what that's like.

Overall: A winner as far as I'm concerned (for what it's worth), YMMV.

True, the cost of strings is not really an issue for me as they last long enough... ONCE I find the strings I want. It's the trial and error phase that gets expensive.

1 hour ago, mcnach said:

...everytime I try a new set I get a little disappointed... until they wear out *just* a little bit...

Yes! They're too twangy when new. After a while they settle into a fantastic chunky thump, but with definition. Sound very good indeed with a pick. You can always EQ that 'piano' sound back in if you need it.

Edited by discreet

22 hours ago, Mister RLP said:

That would be cool if there was. No, I meant in Colchester. Took daughter up to look round Essex Uni last year. Not sure she would have been happy with me skiving off to look at basses though. Just as well I didn't know. 

Certainly better for my wallet this way 😁

I go for a growly tone and fresh strings seem to be the single most important factor in obtaining that, without a doubt. I've always been skeptical about the more minute aspects of sound and tone from a guitar/bass (I know collectively details make all the difference), as there's so many variables, and a lot of snobbery, and I just think 'a fresh set of strings is going to completely change that', and you'll get three of four separate types of tone over the next week or so as they die. I use Rotosound .105's mainly, largely because they're good at not breaking when being violently thrashed, and because they're cheap enough for me to replace every so often. I change them every gig now, or every 2 gigs if on tour. I know Rotos have a reputation for dulling quickly, but I don't find them any worse than anything else in the same price league. 

• 2 weeks later...

My string journey has ultimately led me to Elixirs, via Superwound (remember them?), Rotosound, Elites, Status, Warwick, Fender, Rotos (again) and D'Adds. Along the way I discovered I prefer nickels to all-steels. The cost of the Elixirs is offset by the fact that they last so much longer, but even so that occasional £50 hit is always a deep-breath moment!

I have bought all sorts of strings in the past, but these days I always make sure I use the strings that make me sound the best I can sound. IMO a good set is less than a gig's worth so don't sound less than your best for the sake of a couple of quid.

I have tried other rounds but I keep coming back to either DR Lo-Rider or Hi-Beams and TI are the best flats I've heard so I'm using a set of those. 

I think the best sounding strings I have at the moment are a set of 50-105 Chromes I fitted to one of my Precisions a while ago. I am fairly sure I bought them when I was still living in Finland, so that makes them7 or 8 years old now, and the tone is still improving. Mind you, the La Bella's I fitted to another Precision just a few weeks ago run them a close second, and as they age I suspect they'll sound better than the Chromes.

8 minutes ago, FinnDave said:

...the La Bella's I fitted to another Precision just a few weeks ago run them a close second, and as they age I suspect they'll sound better than the Chromes.

Yes, I can tell you that La Bellas improve wirh age, like a fine cheese. But not quite as smelly.

On 08/01/2018 at 15:11, dave_bass5 said:

Actually Tomastik have quite a bit of info on their website.

It seems they do a super long (36") set of TI's, inc a low B,  so id expect them to be fine for string through body on a standard Fender style bass.

I have had TI flats (JF344s) strung through body on a Fender P and a jazz. 

On 1/23/2018 at 23:33, mcnach said:

@TheGreek I have just ordered a set of Status tapewounds, based on your recommendation (no pressure! :p)

Let's see how it goes! At £16-something I figured it was worth a shot and I want to restring my Mike Dirnt Precision...

I just tried the Status black nylon tapewounds...

They're ok. More 'thumpy' perhaps than D'Addarios, nice feeling (although they do feel very thin despite being the right gauge, the cores being much thinner are noticeable I guess)... Not a bad string and good price. However, the Labella white nylon tapewounds are in a separate higher league as far as I'm concerned. The Status feel like they lack a bit of "oomph" and they don't have that thick low midrange the Labellas have. They're still good, but just not as good, for me.

8 minutes ago, MiltyG565 said:

Brilliant story Nacho! As you know, I've always felt strings were a very important part of an instrument. It's a learning curve :) 

Thank you :)

Yes, the journey never ends... strings are a relatively cheap way to transform a bass. It's just that sometimes the transformation is not in the best direction for our taste, but it's fun to experiment nonetheless.