Why become a member? ×

Ashdown retroglide 800 bass amp

TheGreek

In my eternal search for a more modern Trace Elliot sound, somebody recommended an Ashdown retroglide 800 bass amp - to be fair I hadn't heard anything about these though I have been impressed with the Customer service from Ashdown from my recent experience.

Claims are that these provide a Trace Elliot sound without the weight.

Anybody with any experience of this head?

6 hours ago, TheGreek said:

In my eternal search for a more modern Trace Elliot sound...

My recent Trace Elliot experience leads me to suspect that the only way you'll get an amp with 'the Trace Elliot sound' is by using a Trace Elliot amp. No combination of amp or cab or combo I've ever used has sounded like a Trace. :) Er... apart from my Trace, obviously.

Edited by discreet
Spelling

No...it’s a great little amp, but think of it as a 400w power amp with a clean graphic eq.  Next to an older TE head it sounds clean and lean, not warm and comfy.  Can’t compare to the later TE (Series VI and beyond) as I never used them, and don’t have any around.  

0331CC8B-64A6-40DF-9688-2FA60D18E759.jpeg

19 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

It is a fine little amp.

I use mine with a Barefaced 2 Ten from a  DHA VT1 and it is very versatile combo due to the graphic. I can get sounds ranging from modern to traditional tones.

Yes, I use mine with Sansamps all the time, makes it warmer and rounder.  Very useable, compact and light.  But the old TE AH150 just doesn’t need any such help. It sounds huge...and just sort of “right” 😳

Yes, it works well - just adjust to suit the room (usually the low end).  I was trying to get the two amps close and it’s pretty easy, except for the big natural low end on the older amp.  That is the inherent difference (big transformers).   I’d love to try the Ashdown MK red amp one day 😜

1 minute ago, BassBod said:

Yes, it works well - just adjust to suit the room (usually the low end).  I was trying to get the two amps close and it’s pretty easy, except for the big natural low end on the older amp.  That is the inherent difference (big transformers).   I’d love to try the Ashdown MK red amp one day 😜

While trying to avoid the 'smiley face' curve, I'm finding the 500Hz area quite troublesome when using a Jazz with rounds. I like favouring mids to punch through a mix, but it just seems too 'buzzy' and in your face. Had a similar issue with an Ashdown ABM 600, so I'm sure it's not just a Trace thing.

Just now, discreet said:

While trying to avoid the 'smiley face' curve, I'm finding the 500Hz area quite troublesome when using a Jazz with rounds. I like favouring mids to punch through a mix, but it just seems too 'buzzy' and in your face. Had a similar issue with an Ashdown ABM 600, so I'm sure it's not just a Trace thing.

The secret for me is not trying to get my “home sound” in a gig situation - you need something with low-mid energy and more edge than you like.  Mostly I’m boosting a bit 40- 200HZ cutting a bit 300-500HZ and boosting 5kHz. But never a lot of cut or boost, and retuned to whatever the stage needs.  

1 hour ago, BassBod said:

The secret for me is not trying to get my “home sound” in a gig situation - you need something with low-mid energy and more edge than you like.  Mostly I’m boosting a bit 40- 200HZ cutting a bit 300-500HZ and boosting 5kHz. But never a lot of cut or boost, and retuned to whatever the stage needs.  

Due to band circumstances I've not gigged it yet, but I'm lucky enough to be able to play along loudly to a recording while making changes, so at least it's not 'solo' as such. 9_9

• Like 1

23004561_10212225498567013_1985581869964

I used the same "seagull shape" EQ in my old TE 1215 GP12 combo back in the days. I think this EQ in reality takes care of some inset problems with the "classic trace sound", it removes the muddy low end replacing it with a more puchy low-mid, removes the boxiness in the mids region and also removes the static noises in the high frequencies. I can get the same (even better) tone from my current Genz Benz / Barefaced setup with my EQ completely flat. That's one of the reasons i moved on from this (the weight was also a big issue).

BTW, this pic must have 12+ years (you can tell by the spider webs... :D ), i don't own any of that gear anumore exept for that Seiko 747 tuner on top of the amp.

• Like 1

I tried the 'seagull' shape on my Retroglide and Two10 last night while practicing in a very small studio. It produced a very acceptable sound not to vintage and not to modern.

I will try it in a few different situations and see how we get on.

1 hour ago, naxos10 said:

I tried the 'seagull' shape on my Retroglide and Two10 last night while practicing in a very small studio. It produced a very acceptable sound not too vintage and not too modern.

I rehearsed with that shape too - solo you can hear the underlying Trace 'twang', but with the band it becomes a warm, vintage sound and the 'twang' gives it a very nice punch and presence. Using my BDI-21 set flat with Blend at 2 o'clock helps a lot with this.

Edited by discreet