Why become a member? ×

Gold hardware - Is it me??

Deedee

Am I in a minority in really not liking gold hardware on basses?

There have been some gorgeous basses for sale on the marketplace that I would have been all over had it not been for the fact that they were fitted with gold hardware.  Instead of approaching the buyers, I find myself researching the availability of silver or black replacement hardware.

Is it me???

• Like 4

I don’t like gold hardware, but this may stem from the nasty sweat in my hands ripping off the gold off of the bridge of a guitar I owned in 80s, making it look really nasty. Aesthetically speaking, most gold finished hardware is often too ‘sparkly’ (for want of a better description) for my tastes. However, sometimes, when it’s somewhat dull, it does work.

I don't think it suits every bass,my Dynabass is white with gold hardware I think black would have been better (match the ebony board). I'd not long finished doing up a Peavey Zephyr 5 when a pal said gold hardware would set it off braw,he was right but I showed restraint and used Marshall amp knobs instead of gold domes. You don't want to OG !!

1 hour ago, Deedee said:

There have been some gorgeous basses for sale on the marketplace that I would have been all over had it not been for the fact that they were fitted with gold hardware.  Instead of approaching the buyers, I find myself researching the availability of silver or black replacement hardware.

Is it me???

We all have aesthetic foibles.

I don't like sunburst on basses,  but I like it on Strats.

I don't like black bridges on any instrument.

I have no rational explanation as to why.

I personally think gold hardware makes an instrument look tacky. But then again I think gold jewellery looks tacky too ;). I've seen some cracking natural wood finished basses over the years that have gold hardware fitted and it just cheapens the appearance, IMO. For my tastes black hardware is the best choice for natural wood finishes. 

It's me, also. I find gold, in general, too bling even for watches and jewelry.Personal taste, I know, but the sight of people sporting heavy gold watches or rings makes me instantly think "Del Boy".  As for basses I regard anything sporting gold hardware as too showy. I prefer classy, understated, tasteful. A bit like me really. :D

7 hours ago, Woodinblack said:

Love gold or black hardware. Not a great fan of silver, or plain metal.

But it looks ok on some basses.

Same here, and I'd really like having more color options, like wine red tuners or dark copper or green, I'd like to have that option too. 

I really dislike gold hardware too, would be a deal breaker for me I think. Probably because all

the great basses I’ve ever owned or had GAS for have had chrome or nickel.

Currently have 3 Fender Precision Lytes, and made sure they were all the later models with chrome

hardware. The earlier ones had gold which IMO not only looked blingy but also had a reputation for 

peeling off very quickly. 

IMO, horses for courses.

Some basses & guitars suit gold hardware, some suit black or matt hardware, like others suit chrome hardware. Some suit solid colours, some suit natural finishes, and some even suit uber fancy furniture grade wood finishes.

Some spend thousands on an instrument, others spend only hundreds.

Variety is the spice of life.

Must admit, I'm not a fan of gold hardware & overly fancy timbers (though I do like a nice, understated spalt/burl/flame/etc.).

10 hours ago, Deedee said:

Is it me???

Me too. Black or chrome depending on the rest of the bass thank you!

2 minutes ago, LITTLEWING said:

All depends on the guitar colour, gold doesn't go with everything.

I personally hate two bits of wood sandwiched together that are a total obvious mis-match and look like someone threw the last couple of bits off the floor together to make a few more quid with a body.

Totally agree...without wishing to deviate from the topic too much this is my major bugbear and deal breaker