Why become a member? ×

12" Powered Speaker for PA use without Sub

King Tut

The impossible dream maybe, but I'm looking at getting back into fronting a trio playing Rock and Pop in pubs. In order to minimise the amount of gear I cart about, I was thinking of running the bass straight into the PA. In order to minimise the amount of PA, I was wondering if anyone had used a PA with just two 12' powered speakers and no subs and successfully ran bass and kick through them as well as vox and guitar. A couple of units I'd been considering were FBT X-Lite 12's and Yamaha DXR 12's, Just playing small to medium sized pubs. 

I'd obviously have a monitor or two to run the bass as well as vox through for stage sound.

Thanks in advance and have a fab weekend!

Done this on functions - so long as you manage your expectations and don't expect earth shattering bottom end, you'll be fine.

Whilst my preference is a system with subs, I have a client who are a function band agency who just book a basic package of 12" tops and a couple of wedges for their bands. Have had 7 piece bands with brass, keys, multiple vocals and you can make it work if you do it sensibly and don't expect monster levels from it. Done it with various boxes including HK Actor DX, Yamaha DXR, Thomann's own brand Achat Pro 12M, Mackie C300z and others. 

Not my first choice and not what I spec for my own bands, but it's certainly possible to do.

EBS Freak's recommendation is a good one. The RCF's are excellent and light for their size/power. The Yamaha DXRs are also very fine. Many shops stock both, so worth comparing them. A pal of mine uses a DXR as keyboard backline at quite high levels and it's very good/clean sounding. You will need a sub for significant bottom end, as mike257 says. No getting away from the fact that you need to shift air for bass and kick at higher levels.

Edited by Dan Dare