gareth

Harder to get pub gigs?

20 hours ago, T-Bay said:

There just so happens to be a great curry house next door as well which is always a pull for our band.  

You won't leave your instruments unattended when having your curry will you?

57 minutes ago, arthurhenry said:

You won't leave your instruments unattended when having your curry will you?

No, there is a room we can lock stuff in so we will load in, grab a curry then go set up. Band currys are a big thing for our band, we do at least one a month.

• Like 1

On 1/6/2018 at 10:24, T-Bay said:

I know of one pub around here that expects bands wanting a full gig to come to their open mic night and do two or three numbers to see how they get on. But to be fair that pub has invested a hell of a lot and has a great set up with full time sound guy and live music at least three nights a week and they do pay very well for bands so I don’t think it’s a bad deal at all. All of the pubs we have played it’s either by word of mouth/ reputation (majority) or by showing a recording of a performance.

We had some club owner pull that play for free to see what happens thing. If your a new band I guess you have to do stuff like that.

We've been active on the scene for 12 years ready to bring new business to his bar. We never responded to him and I'm not sure why he'd never heard of us.

Blue

23 minutes ago, Bluewine said:

We had some club owner pull that play for free to see what happens thing. If your a new band I guess you have to do stuff like that.

We've been active on the scene for 12 years ready to bring new business to his bar. We never responded to him and I'm not sure why he'd never heard of us.

Blue

it's probably not that he's never heard of you, just that he thinks that the going rate for a band is nothing...! 

• Like 1

My sense is - as has already been said - that pubs are closing or finding business is increasingly tough. So there are fewer places for bands to play and pubs aren't prepared to pay as much as before. But it may also be a question of demographics. I'm an old guy in a 70s classic rock covers band. On the one hand, younger people may not want to hear that stuff. On the other, the only people still going to pubs may be oldies like us who are partial to a bit of classic rock (and don't mind the volume we play at because they too are deaf). My only hope is that they don't predecease us.