Why become a member? ×

New Combo Day - Trace Elliot Content

discreet

Got most of the glue off without damaging the Tolex, which was a bit of a mission. What this revealed was a number of small, shallow holes drilled in the cab at each corner - obviously at some point someone attached, or tried to attach, something to the top of the cab which was then subsequently removed. Could be part of the reason why the rubber mat was fitted. :) Doesn't bother me, it's part of the history...

I hoovered the cobwebs out of the amp space and went round it with a damp sponge to get the dust off, and did a bit of careful hoovering inside the amp head. It looks remarkably clean in there, no burns or fraying or other stress evident - the components look like they were assembled yesterday. Pretty good for a 25-year-old amp. Now I'll go and take some gut shots. Not me, the amp... 9_9TCCorner.jpg

They're usually built reasonably tidy inside - nice layout, neat cables plus pre and power stages on their own boards. I became quite intimate with the inside of my 4808 combo as there were a few ropey solder joints on the pre-amp board. It had the later 320w Clive Button power stage after it's former 'Bi-Polar Bear' gave out with it's previous owner. The later power amp was very good and as ever, plenty loud and clean..

• Thanks 1