Why become a member? ×

Two Notes Torpedo

Tripehound

I’ve started using an MXR M81 straight into the PA which is one of those fancy line array setups. Sounds very good - and I’ve finally gotten round to this approach after a lifetime of substantial amplification. Lacking much experience on this topic, can anyone advise whether things could be further improved by using a speaker sim say like this?

https://www.andertons.co.uk/two-notes-torpedo-cab-pedal-torp-cab?LGWCODE=TORPCAB;56375;6335&gclid=CjwKCAiAhMLSBRBJEiwAlFrsTgV5xF-9dNO-jsJqVL7hjt1rN_NAfrvk4wy4jawuGbJhdaf_LsKxbhoCfJ0QAvD_BwE

Two Notes are real quality pieces of gear, guitarist mate of mine uses the cabs Simms for guitars, and when I looked at the list the amount of bass cabs they have is not as extensive, but if it has the one you want I think it would be a decent buy, be good to hear what others have to say

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Cuzzie said:

Two Notes are real quality pieces of gear, guitarist mate of mine uses the cabs Simms for guitars, and when I looked at the list the amount of bass cabs they have is not as extensive, but if it has the one you want I think it would be a decent buy, be good to hear what others have to say

One of the attractions is that the Torpedo seems to have power amp simulation as well as speakers. I have a Helix but I've not yet managed to get it to sound as good as the MXR!

• Like 1

Looks like a very nice piece of kit indeed. However I'll give you the reasons why I chose the OmniCabSim instead:

- For studio use there are tons of cab sim plugins already, including some from Two Notes, so I wouldn't need a big expensive box for this purpose.

- For live use or even just mucking about at home, I'd want something smaller that was easier to adjust on the fly rather then rely on presets and digital menus.

- I would expect to encounter a sound engineer at some point that insisted on a pre-EQ clean DI... You could of course just give them two XLR feeds, but being digital the Torpedo would have a slight delay to it which would cause a few problems when blending the two signals.

Edited by dannybuoy

16 hours ago, dannybuoy said:

Looks like a very nice piece of kit indeed. However I'll give you the reasons why I chose the OmniCabSim instead:

- For studio use there are tons of cab sim plugins already, including some from Two Notes, so I wouldn't need a big expensive box for this purpose.

- For live use or even just mucking about at home, I'd want something smaller that was easier to adjust on the fly rather then rely on presets and digital menus.

- I would expect to encounter a sound engineer at some point that insisted on a pre-EQ clean DI... You could of course just give them two XLR feeds, but being digital the Torpedo would have a slight delay to it which would cause a few problems when blending the two signals.

I've seen good things said of the OmniCabSim - can you only get them mail order (from Chile isn't it)?

There's also a Digitech pedal - Cabdryvr?  Like the Torpedo it lacks an XLR socket which seems odd for an end of the line pedal.

Edited by Tripehound

On 1/6/2018 at 19:37, Tripehound said:

One of the attractions is that the Torpedo seems to have power amp simulation as well as speakers. I have a Helix but I've not yet managed to get it to sound as good as the MXR!

It is my understanding that the Helix also has cab sims, and if you are not happy with the stock ones, you can load external cab sim IRs into the Helix. Which means that you dont need the 

torpedo for cab simulation. I am also wondering why yu would need a power amp sim for bass...a good bass power amp should be linear and fast.

My first thought was Line 6 Helix - I believe you can import 3rd party cabinet impulses if the Helix cabs don't do it for you. If it doesn't sound as good to you as the as the MXR maybe you should stick with the MXR and stop worrying! Law of diminishing returns and all that.